The Joyous Jaunty June Perusals (Or what we are reading in June)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kind of waffle i'm talking about:
Father,Paul said,will Arakkis be as dangerous as everyone says?
The duke forced himself to the casual gesture(what???),sat down on a corner of the table,smiled. A whole pattern of conversation welled up in his mind-the kind of thing he might use to dispel the vapours in his men before a battle. The pattern froze before it could be vocalised,confronted by the single thought:
this is my son
It'll be dangerous,he admitted.

Good grief no wonder the book's so big!

All of that, though, is necessary to establish the nature of the society and the people it produces. Remember, this is a society where (for example) the Bene Geserit have refined knowledge of both psychology and semiotics to an almost unbelievable degree; and the people of the noble houses are forced, by necessity of survival (as well as to maintain something of a balance of power), to be almost hyperaesthetically aware of all these tiny nuances that we would either not notice at all or take largely for granted. In other words, they are consciously aware of all the tiny tell-tale signs of body language, tone of voice, even physical tonality, which we only register unconsciously. These are the things which we react to 90% of the time, after all; they are what provides a feeling of comfort, that "first impression" we have such difficulty in overcoming despite any subsequent evidence. In their society, the awareness and manipulation of these things has been brought to a near-perfect science, and is used to particularly devastating effect by the Bene Geserit and the Bene Tleilaxu.

In this little scene between Paul and his father, each is consciously aware of the unspoken, and yet striving to bridge that gap to communicate honestly. In Leto's case, both for love of his son and in order to prepare him for the trials ahead; yet he, like nearly anyone in a position of authority who is used to dealing with great numbers of people, also has formed habits of manipulating his own responses to reassure, to get the "proper" response, or simply to save time in explanations -- and now finds himself in a position where he has to (again, consciously) fight against a lifetime of learned habits in order to be honest with his son, in a society which is often predicated on false impressions, treachery, and violence. In going into such detail when describing the interactions between people, Herbert drives home the alienness of the world he's talking about, as well as showing the varying layers of interaction, depending on the strata of society or the type (not necessarily socioeconomic) of person being dealt with. So I'd argue that there is very little wasted verbiage here, as each tiny bit adds to the distancing effect while at the same time giving us a window into the protagonists' way of thinking... which we, by dint of following the tale to a certain point, begin to truly understand and even to find ourselves anticipating the "correct" responses. It's a subtle tool, and through it, Herbert allows us to both see and become the alien....

None of which proves that any one individual reader would find all of that background and nuance worth his or her time.

And haven't we gone a bit off topic here? This is the June reading thread, not a discussion of the relative merits and demerits of Dune.

None of which proves that any one individual reader would find all of that background and nuance worth his or her time.

And haven't we gone a bit off topic here? This is the June reading thread, not a discussion of the relative merits and demerits of Dune.

Granted, but neither does it mean such writing is "waffling"; I'm not arguing that AE35 continue with Dune or not; simply giving a perspective that may -- should he choose to continue -- make this approach "click" for him and make the book more enjoyable and/or deep an experience.

And yes, we have; though that's hardly unusual with the reading thread. Still, rebuke merited and noted; apologies tendered.

And, to get back on topic... Finished The Year's Best Horror Stories I; a mixed bag. Some very good stuff in there, and some which simply didn't seem of that high a quality. 'Twas interesting reading Matheson's "Prey", though, as I've only known this particular tale through its adaptation as part of the Trilogy of Terror made for television, starring Karen Black. In this case, I think it actually works better onscreen than off.... While Ramsey Campbell's "The Scar" still manages to both haunt and puzzle... not to mention seriously disturb.

Now to decide whether to move on to Wilkie Collins' Armadale, or Moorcock's The Ice Schooner (a reread)....

Recently read: "Up the Line", Robert Silverberg, 1969 .....

Just finished: "The Space Merchants", Pohl & Kornbluth, 1952 .....

Just started: "Gladiator-At-Law", Pohl & Kornbluth, 1955 ......
You just reminded me that I must read 'Up the Line'. I hadn't been able to get hold of it, even second hand, but I just managed to order it online from WH Smith. The other two books sound interesting too, so I've made a note of them. ;)

I've not read any SF recently. I've been reading Bill Bryson's book on 'Shakespear', 'Mr Jone's Rules' which is a book on modern etiquette from the editor of GQ magazine, and some history books published by the National Archives, 'Womans Century', and 'The Home Front 1914-1918'.

On my pile next are 'The Steep Approach to Garbadale' by Iain Banks, 'Blind Faith' by Ben Elton, and 'Tau Zero' by Poul Anderson.

The pile seems to be getting higher! :eek:

And it IS worth sticking at Dune. I didn't give up until the God Emperors heretical children's chapter house, or something similar ;)

j. d. worthington said:
'Twas interesting reading Matheson's "Prey", though, as I've only known this particular tale through its adaptation as part of the Trilogy of Terror made for television, starring Karen Black. In this case, I think it actually works better onscreen than off....

I read a collection of Matheson's stories maybe a week ago, and I have to say that I thought Prey was one of the best in it. Dolls are weird things generally, seemingly almost on the point of coming alive most of the time anyway, and what was particularly eerie in that story was that half the time you never "saw" the doll, as such, just heard it scampering around and rattling the door handle...good stuff. Really enjoyed it. And the collection as a whole.

And I've immediately derailed the thread again. Apologies. I'm still on Memories of Ice by Erikson.

Perhaps it is a bit off topic, but it sure makes for interesting reading. A short discusssion, digression, really doesn't hurt.

Still working my way through a reread of Kate Elliott's Jaran books and loving every minute of it. Sure wish there were more books on these people.

Just finished Robin Hobb's Forrest Mage and now onto A Case of Conscience by James Blish

You just reminded me that I must read 'Up the Line'. I hadn't been able to get hold of it, even second hand, but I just managed to order it online from WH Smith.
They've just told me that they are unable to supply it! I'm still looking for this book if anyone can help (at a reasonable price - not $15 + same amount in postage for a copy with "a few dog-ears") It is always available as an e-book I guess.

Currently reading Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham. Not sure what to think about it yet - the opening battle went on a bit, but Birmingham handles his 2021 AD characters in 1942 AD well. In places, his prose seems he's trying a bit too hard though.

Currently reading Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham. Not sure what to think about it yet - the opening battle went on a bit, but Birmingham handles his 2021 AD characters in 1942 AD well. In places, his prose seems he's trying a bit too hard though.
I've always been curious about these books, a big leap from He Died With a Felafel in his Hands, a wonderful and funny book about Australian drug culture.

reading (research and learning than a novel really)

. Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler
I'm sure I'm late on this book next to you folks, but a damn good book I must say! an absolute must. Half way through it and when I've read it, I'm reading it again...well maybe after The Hero with a Thosand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Part of my research for my epic battles I want to write (or where to write in strategic flaws so my various forces can take advantage) This stuff is great. again, a classic, and I've owned it for about a year, but only getting around to reading it. Lots of great material to weave into characters, scenes and characters attitude towards life - even an entire culture could be based on this way of thinking. (other than the chinese of course!)

Battle by R.G. Grant (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2007)another one for learning about real battles, how empires were fought for, rose and fell over 5000yrs of combat. Includes loads of visual reference including illustrations of some of the battles, their formations and tatics.

There are similaries between the greatest (recorded) generals of all time, so this will add more authencity to my warriors etc. Another I've had on my bookshelf collecting dust till now, only just started it and got inspired already.

Just going through these have spawned multiple ideas for scenes, locations and strategy - espically when you cross reference with The writer's journey.

Last edited:
Finished "No Regrets" and am now on to "No Control". After this, I'll have to go back to the Jim Butcher books b/c Shannon doesn't have any more.....

I read a collection of Matheson's stories maybe a week ago, and I have to say that I thought Prey was one of the best in it. Dolls are weird things generally, seemingly almost on the point of coming alive most of the time anyway, and what was particularly eerie in that story was that half the time you never "saw" the doll, as such, just heard it scampering around and rattling the door handle...good stuff. Really enjoyed it. And the collection as a whole.

Briefly, I felt that Matheson's writing here was a bit sketchier than was good for the tale, not allowing the full potential of the situation. It was a good story, but I think it this "sketchiness" worked better onscreen than onpage.

Am now enjoying Brian Aldiss' The Saliva Tree. Nice bit of steampunk which i wasn't expecting!

Hadn't thought of this one as steampunk before... not quite sure that fits, from my understanding of the term; but it is a good story. Incidentally, it has often been compared to H. P. Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space", and I'm wondering if you've read that one. If so, you might drop me a line and let me know....

Just finished Robin Hobb's Forrest Mage and now onto A Case of Conscience by James Blish

Good luck with that one! Not so easy as i thought to get into and ran out half way thru

I found the Blish a fascinating (if occasionally faulted) book; very thought-provoking. The issues it tackles are, I would say, fundamental to the human condition, and the fact that he so carefully avoids giving a final, dogmatic answer gives the novel a considerable impact, though that may not at first be apparent, as with some (myself included) it was something of a delayed reaction....

And I've begun Armadale, the last in my Collins reading for the time being. It begins well, but I've seen some negative comment on this one in different places -- here being among them -- so I'm cautious about it. However, it's already showing his trademark convoluted plotting and penchant for somewhat strange characters in the midst of mundane life; not to mention an overlay of the weird (very lightly laid in, with almost a gossamer touch) involving the naturally allegorical role of doppelgängersin any form, as well as the hint of fate or destiny playing a large role in the characters' lives (a theme he explores in more than one of his novels....).

Briefly, I felt that Matheson's writing here was a bit sketchier than was good for the tale, not allowing the full potential of the situation. It was a good story, but I think it this "sketchiness" worked better onscreen than onpage.

Yes, that was one thing I noticed, and was bothered by, in a couple of the stories in the collection. But I definitely enjoyed this story nonetheless.

I have started reading The Mammoth Book of Short Fantasy Novels edited by Asimov,Martin H, Greenberg,Charles G. Waugh.

Reading Guyal of Sfere 1950 story by the one and only Jack Vance.

Got the hole collection just only because that story.

I didnt even know it had stories by H.Rider Haggard,Fritz Leiber,Poul Anderson,Andre Norton,Michael Moorcock,Roger Zelazny :p

Quite a few of the "Mammoth" books are worth looking into. In many cases, a huge amount of very good material for a very reasonable price....

Quite a few of the "Mammoth" books are worth looking into. In many cases, a huge amount of very good material for a very reasonable price....

Not always i bought The Mammoth book of Future Cops because it had A Scanner Darkly which at that point i thought was a short story. It was only a random chapter of the book. Talk about pointless and cashing in with a chapter of a book in short story collection. ....

The other stories was real short stories.

But they are a good idea and a good price when you are looking to try several authors you are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back