all addicted against my will

youngster

I used to read fantasy and that as a teenager, haven't enjoyed much as an adult except Robin Hobb, I have a house full of bookcases and cool books, with an embarrassing line of old Robert Jordans buried under all the good stuff. Well, I started a Game of Thrones last week as the boy's been banging on about them all month, and finished Storm of Swords at the weekend, have to wait for him to finish a feast of crows before I can get my paws on it, damn boy reads slower than me!

1) I have in no way forgiven anyone for Robb. I managed to be flippant about Ned as I was pretending not to be that into the books at that point. But Robb!!! I mean he was completely marked for death but still... ouch. That hurt. I mean I refused to read on for at least 20 minutes before retrieving the book from whatever part of the boy's anatomy I'd tried to shove it down.
2) Joffrey should have died with some notion of the world crashing down around his ears, humiliation, pain and defeat! Kid got off light...
3) Dany is worryingly f***able for 14. Er... as was Jon. Seeing Jon get laid made me squirmy and happy.
4) Tyrion is hilarious, but you all already know that. So's Arya, I can't put my finger on why. Rah, I'm a wolf girl, I'm hard as nails, I fear nothing, I'm nine! So's Jaime. The Hound. Hodor. Asha. Theon's renditions of how he's slept with every woman in the North. I felt guilty for finding Theon's chapters as amusing as I did.
5) I think I was a bit sick of rape by the end of the second book. Just a bit.
6) I know he's a sadistic ******, but how long do we have to wait for a single reunion between...er... anyone??
7) I need to read them all again much slower to get all the connections. The backstories and that, I pieced together a fair bit rattling through them but probably missed masses. Rereading happy family Stark at the beginning of book one might make me howl.
8) I am going to beat up the boy for introducing me to a series which pauses for 5 years between books. What was he thinking!? I can read a book in a day!!
9) Apologies for breathless daft newbie comments, I'm still too angry about Robb to be intelligent. Hi!

Welcome.....and Im not sure who the "boy" is you referred to but you should probably thwap him for that as well...

Theres a couple of rules about posting here you should know...

1) Theories and speculation are expected. Feel free to post whatever conjecture you want. If its not supported it will get eaten alive, if it is supported TK-421 will post links to 14 previous threads discussing said point ad infinitum. No one is original.

2) No one is allowed to call you an idiot before your 18th post. Learn to enjoy this time, I recommend posting slowly.

3) Aegon is never serious.

4) You've been accepted when your carefully crafted thread is derailed into a discussion of the comparitive values of being Sandor or Tyrion or why Robb is an idiot...its okay.

5) If Boaz agrees with you, you are likely wrong. He will however be jumping to the other side of the argument the next time the thread is discussed. That will be your chance to be correct, provided you dont follow him.

6) No one likes Ygritte. Its an odd thing. No one likes Stannis either. Everyone likes Tyrion and Dolorous Edd. Other than that you are entitled to your own opinion.

Enjoy....and welcome.

Egg

Aegon the Unworthy said:
6) No one likes Ygritte.

Outside of the new poster saying that he got, uhm, uh, squirmy and happy, this has been the most offensive thing I've read on this board.

With warmest regards,
Wiggum
Founder and President of Y.A.D.L.

From the Jon-lovers point of view i understand why you'd hate her, for the same reasons she left me ( ar atm she leaves me now) unaffected.

There isnt much to her, she is just some random weird crazy daft stupid girl whom you know wont last long. From the moment she was introduced for a second time, after Jon's capture you could tell she was a goner.

Kiwi said:
random weird crazy daft stupid girl

Really?

I know a lot of you have your reasons for not liking Ygritte, and while I think they're all poor, I respect them.

But once you get to the point that you describe the character that shaped Jon into the Lord of the Night's Watch, probably more than anyone else in the series as a.......(see above), you have to give me reason.

Red hair, buck teeth, and an aversion to bathing don't count.

If you don't like Jon, cool, but the finishing of his personality happened because of Ygritte, the cave, and the sharing of her furs.

Wiggs....when I said no one....I really meant no one with taste. Hee.

You can enjoy yer Ygritte if I can enjoy reading about Stannis.

And she did annoy me, but I do appreciate the role she played for Jon. Maybe its because I had one of those books on tape for my trip from Arizona to DC. The guy reading was wonderful, but his Ygritte voice really made me wanna go all Hulksmash on my UHaul.

Really?

I know a lot of you have your reasons for not liking Ygritte, and while I think they're all poor, I respect them.

But once you get to the point that you describe the character that shaped Jon into the Lord of the Night's Watch, probably more than anyone else in the series as a.......(see above), you have to give me reason.

Red hair, buck teeth, and an aversion to bathing don't count.

If you don't like Jon, cool, but the finishing of his personality happened because of Ygritte, the cave, and the sharing of her furs.

i didn't say i hated her, as i said she leaves me unaffected. (i dont like or dislike her.As for hating her because of red hair, when i was a boy of six i had a crush on ariel the mermaid :) . That said the moment i did like to bang her head together was when she gave her response against what Jon said about what a woman could do when a man mistreated/raped/beat her. But all characters have those moments. That said she was undoubtedly a bit crazy, stupid, ... but so are most wildlings and their society.

and to be complete i'll add that i like Jon, and the Night Watch even more.

If you like Jon, why would you hate Ygritte? I was neutral on her, but as I like Jon actually seeing him getting some decent fun cave sex in between all the relentless rape, rape, misery, forced betrothals, dutiful production of sons, sex-betrayals and rape just made me happy, that's all. Does anyone else in the entire book get to have what you'd classify as good sex?

"Robb's an idiot" - sure, but so is everyone else, and he was only really idiotic the once. Has it really been a great idea for Cersei and Jaime to be shagging each other under the noses of their father and the former King for about 20-odd years? Every single thing Joffrey and Robert and Gregor and Sansa and Renly and Cersei and Shaggydog do is pretty bloody idiotic. Tyrion tells himself repeatedly he's being stupid and goes ahead anyway. Stannis is not an idiot, and he makes ME grind my teeth.

Thanks for the welcome, Aegon, I have as you say so far escaped being called an idiot but I did get an "offensive" comment which is almost as good. And someone thought I was a bloke, does that sort of equate to being called an idiot...? heh. I am all excited about my 18th post now.

6) No one likes Ygritte. Its an odd thing. No one likes Stannis either. Everyone likes Tyrion and Dolorous Edd. Other than that you are entitled to your own opinion.

While I'll admit to hating Ygritte (I like to think I hated her before it was cool to do so) I must say that I went cold on Tyrion as the series progressed. He really started to get on my nerves. It'll be interesting to see where Martin goes with him in Dance.

Of course, Dolorous Edd will always be the king.

Welcome to the chronicles. I hope you'll like your time here, I know I do;).
What Egg failed to mention is that you are expected to post one unbelievable theory for all oldtimers to laugh and beat it (sort of like initiation). Just don't post the one's that Tyrek Lannister is baby Aegon, that's my stupid theory:p.

If you lurk around this town, I might suggest following inn's
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/40395-not-the-sharpest-swords-in-the-armory.html
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/8704-favorite-quotes-from-the-books.html
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/7222-stupid-things-that-wont-happen.html (posibility to be stabbed by spoilers from AFFC)
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/36428-dragon-foes.html
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/35633-not-so-important-connections.html (100% posibillity of spoilers from Affc, very dangerous inn)

Body hair was viewed differently back then.

Kind of like Playboy in the 70's.

Oh, and welcome Youngster. It's always good to have another headcase join the chronics.

Yes, I had a while to go after the Red Wedding before I could think calmly.

Welcome to the chronicles. I hope you'll like your time here, I know I do;).
What Egg failed to mention is that you are expected to post one unbelievable theory for all oldtimers to laugh and beat it (sort of like initiation). Just don't post the one's that Tyrek Lannister is baby Aegon, that's my stupid theory:p.

Yer absolutely right. This forum is like Fight Club!. Everyone fights their first night in fight club. So go find a ridiculous theory and post it so we can discuss it. Go now! Why are you still reading? Theres nothing to see here.

Seriously why are you still reading?

4) You've been accepted when your carefully crafted thread is derailed into a discussion of the comparitive values of being Sandor or Tyrion, why Robb is an idiot, or the relative attractiveness of Ygrittes body hair.

Amended this portion with the newest derailing you guys came up with. Good work.

So I guess I'm in a minority...

I read the Red Wedding Event...

and went "Woah! That was badass!" and eager plowed into the next chapter to see its consequences.

Yer absolutely right. This forum is like Fight Club!. Everyone fights their first night in fight club. So go find a ridiculous theory and post it so we can discuss it. Go now! Why are you still reading? Theres nothing to see here.

Alright, it seems clear to me that Hodor's huge stature and limited intellect were intended to pair off with Bran's skin-changing and physical handicaps, even back in AGOT. From this I assume Bran will be taking control of Hodor again later in the series, and that it will be at some point sufficiently pivotal as to already be in GRRM's head 10 years ago.

Ridiculous theory:
A Bran controlled Hodor will have to fight a (Jaime/Qyburn/Tommen) controlled Gregorstein. Why else have a pair mindless giants on each side if not to facilitate a remote controlled Hodor/Mountain fight.

Good evening, the above idea came from reading this fine forum you folks have here. Fricking Amazon showed me a cover for ADWD, which made me hunger and thirst, and here I am trying to satisfy my need for more ASOI&F. So, hello to all my fellow sufferers.

Helol fellow sufferer but perchance you should also try Steven Erikson's Magnus Opus?..he's got a forum here and he is one author who does produce at a pretty reliable frequency.

Over and out...:)

Thanks for the recommendation, I looked into it and The Malazan Book of the Fallen sounds like something I would tear into. I will add Erikson to the list of authors I know I need to try, up near the top along with David Eddings, Stephen R. Donaldson and so many others I am going to stop now. That is why reading is the best pastime one can have, there is always something wonderful waiting for you out there.

To return the favor, whilst browsing the forums, I saw someone who mentioned that Sandkings was the first Martin that they ever read and could not remember where they found it(I think this conversation was in 06-07, hold on I'll check)...
I couldn't find the post in question, but apparently you sir have recently posted a list of the Hugo winners so it seems likely that you are already aware that two of GRRM's short stories (Sandkings and The Way of Cross and Dragon) appear in The Hugo Winners volume 5. Regardless, all 5 of the Asimov edited anthologies are: full of award winning 15-80 page stories, an excellent way to find new authors, and (most importantly) available on the internet for less than $5. (that's American dollars by the way, not seashells or whatever you crazy Aussies use for money)

Oh, and in the unlikely event that someone here hasn't read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle they ought do so immediately, as it is concentrated awesome, and sits among those stories like Dune and SOI&F that I cannot imagine someone could read and not love.

Cheers Mate

Huh, somebody actually wants to read Eddings? Oh yeah i read it too.
Why did i do that? It was like a children's tale. Huh? I wonder what i was thinking at the time. Was probably bored.