Help writing Fight scenes.

Lilmizflashythang

Dogs win, every time.
My original blog was suspended. The new one is loc
I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with writing fight scenes. It has bogged down all of my writing at times and I'm never satisfied with the results, so I skim past it, hoping to fix it later. Maybe someone can give me some tips so I, and others like me, can have better fight scenes. Thanks in advance.

Depends what you are trying to do. Does the fight scene have to be in the foreground or can it be incidental?

The reason I ask is that I seem to remember that in one of Jackokent's items here on chrons there was a conversation going on the in the foreground with the fight sequence taking place in the background. The conversation was interrupted from time to time by action from the fight. It worked very well.

One other thing if the fight is fast and furious then the writing should be as well - tight, clipped and full of action. Avoid 'stage direction' BTW.

Maybe you could post an example, (short sentances is the best, be to the point, write down your fight scene in draft as what you like, then pick out the most decriptive parts, in films they use 25 fps to acheive frantic like motions, this can be achieved in writing also, with short discriptive actions.
I must point out that you may need to make many drafts unto you feel it is right, but the good news is once the skill is gained it with you for good.

For the most part, keep fight scenes short and quick, sentence-wise. Use detailed description of actions, etc. only for the climactic "final blow" and only in a manner that creates anticipation and suspense. A good novel to read to learn how to write fight scenes that are both vivid and detailed but also in a manner that doesn't bore the reader is The Crimson Legion in the Prism Pentad series for TSR's old Dark Sun world. Stephen King handled fight scenes pretty well in his Dark Tower series and in The Stand.

But most important, make the reader care who wins. And that takes good characterization skills. If you can make the reader care about your main character (or better yet, both characters in the fight), you really don't need to be a fight scene guru to pull off a good, tense moment. ;)

Define the fight scene.

Where it takes places...describe surrounds...sword fighting needs space...hand to hand combat or knife fighting does not.
Gun-fighting does not...but a gun-fight in a small space means bullets or lazer blasts may well be ricocheting around the room.
If you don't know anything about martial arts, don't try and describe two guys fighting in a martial art style...readers who DO martial arts won't be impressed by mistakes the writer may make. Stick to simple stuff like sidekicks, punches etc. Forget about using technical martial art terms; like axe kick or hammer strike or tiger claw.
Gun-fights...people run out of ammo real fast...a point a lot of writers seem to forget.

Sword fights...guys with broadswords don't fight against guys with rapiers...for more than a few seconds...if the broadsword doesn't strike the other right away the lighter rapier will kill the broadsword wielder a moment later.
(Yeah I know books and movies don't show it like that..but I've done it and a rapier wielder will stab or slice the throat of a broadsword wielder in a second. The rapier is slim and light and very fast, the broadsword is not.)
A better combination for a duel would be a broadsword and a battle axe. Similar weight, different strengths and weakness of weapons. Note: The most common cut/injury is simply to slice thru the fingers/hands/wrists of the opponent.

The fight scene in Rob Roy...the rapier wielder should have won. Instead of prancing around like a complete muppet.

I digress...
Fight scene outdoors...use the sun as an ally. Or a rain slicked street. Or mist/fog.
If a guy gets wounded in a swordfight whilst wearing clothing...like a stab thru a shirt sleeve...make mention that the wound is properly dressed and cleaned...most people wounded in sword fights died from the material of the cloth being pushed inside the wound and becoming infected.

Fight scene scenarios are endless...why not post up yours and let some of us who may be more...errr...experienced...see if we can make it more realistic for you?

Cheers: Jaq.

I posted a reply to this in this thread :eek:
you may find some helpful ideas there

Yeah I know books and movies don't show it like that..but I've done it and a rapier wielder will stab or slice the throat of a broadsword wielder in a second. The rapier is slim and light and very fast, the broadsword is not.

That's interesting that you should say so, Jaqhama, because I have friends who have done both fencing and SCA-style combat, and they've always said the fight would far more likely go the other way. It's hard to block a broadsword with a rapier.

Of course, the relative skill and experience of the parties involved comes into it, too.

That's interesting that you should say so, Jaqhama, because I have friends who have done both fencing and SCA-style combat, and they've always said the fight would far more likely go the other way. It's hard to block a broadsword with a rapier.

Of course, the relative skill and experience of the parties involved comes into it, too.

Everyone has a different opinion on the subject that's for sure.
I wouldn't even try to block a broadsword with a rapier. I'd just get out of the way then riposte

Now who can tell me what is generally considered the most effective non projectile hand held weapon of medieval times?
(This will be a hot topic of debate I'm sure.:D)

Last edited:
Maybe this will help. It's not human on human fighting. It's more like unicorn on snake. The snake looks almost like a 30 ft. rattler, with the tail and poison of a king cobra. I know it's not much but I'm kinda busy, and my book is upstairs.

Ah...afraid I'm not much use here. I'm only familiar with hand to hand and stick/edged weapon combat.
Animals fighting each other is not something I'd care to attempt to advise on.

Now who can tell me what is generally considered the most effective non projectile hand held weapon of medieval times?

Poison -

Perhaps not what you meant by hand weapon but it gets them every time.

Of course there are problems on how to administer the dose. However, they are easily overcome, usually by appealing to the baser motivations of the poisonee.

Everyone has a different opinion on the subject that's for sure.
I wouldn't even try to block a broadsword with a rapier. I'd just get out of the way then riposte

Pike or Halberd.

from my re-enactment days, my favourite is a billhook on a long handle.

the notch in the end can be used to block swords and axes, and it can be used to trap a spear against the ground, slide up the shaft and cut down the spearman.

a great melee weapon to have as back up for a bowman. (which got us the nickname of "hobbits" as we were armed with bill and bow.............)

but I also learnt how to use a short sword in my laft hand behind my shield, when I was using a ******* sword one handed. that was always a surprise for my opponents when I blocked their swing with my shield and they found a pointy blade within their guard.

but for damage, a two handed mace or flail would be very hard to stop (which is why they aren't used much in unrehearsed re-enactment)

i never re-enacted per se (i was better with a camera), but i did go to practice sessions with the local Poly group, and i was pretty nifty with the pikearms too. being short, i was also a smaller and more difficult target, and the long reach of the pikearms were fairly useful.

Ok...here's a surprise, was a surprise to me when I was first told.

Apparently the most versatile and effective weapon in medieval times was the humble oaken quarterstaff.
Often shod with brass or iron, sometimes a spike or a small thick blade at one of both ends.
I'm assured that the reason it is so effective is because in the hands of an expert it can be spun/swung with an impact speed reaching over 60 mph.
It had reach. It weighed the same at both ends (if correctly designed).
I've seen a demo where a quarterstaff guy defeated a guy with a sword and shield in...oh...about seven seconds or less.
Swung low it could break the legs of charging horses, used high it could thrust a rider from the saddle.
Doubtless the pike, halberd, billhook etc all derivied from the humble Q/staff as time went by.
Shod with brass or iron along some of it's length it could be used to knock aside sword strokes.
Interesting huh?
In eastern martial arts the Bo staff has a similar reputation also. Though the Bo was never as heavy as the oaken Q/staff.

Doubtless the pike, halberd, billhook etc all derivied from the humble Q/staff as time went by.

the humble billhook had it's own evolution into a weapon from the peasantry.

the King would send word to his Barons to gather up an army. most of the foot soldiers didn't have any real weapons, but a heavy blade on a long wooden handle (that they were used to weilding in their work) that could dent plate armour or cut through leather, skin flesh and bone was an easy way to equip people too poor to afford real weapons.
as a lot of the peasants had bows, they would fire off as many volleys as they could into an approaching enemy, then drop the bow, grab the billhook and cut down anyone foolish enough to carry on with the charge.

my money would be on a billhook against a staff if both participants were of equal skill and fitness.
the guy with the sword and shield should have won if he was using his shield as a weapon as well as for defense. if you slam your shield into your opponent or his weapon you can often leave them open to a blow from your sword/axe.
this would be very difficult to do in re-enactment as the man with the staff is almost certain to be badly injured, but in a real battle there wouldn't be the concern for his health.

but for a traveller, a staff was a very versatile tool as it could be used as a walking stick or to carry something over the shoulder(s) and as already stated, a weapon.