The Dreamlands

UnderTheOath

Minister For Magic
Thanks to JD's reply to my thread on 'Which Stories Fit Into The 'Mythos'', I have expanded into the Dream Cycle stories, and I can see now exactly why some people are tentative about the usage of the term 'Cthulhu Mythos'!

Anyway, as I said, I'm starting to be a huge Dreamlands fan... I'm currently reading The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, and the amount of work that seemingly went into creating this Dreamworld is immense, and I am in love.

I was just wondering, does anyone have a map, or a link to a map, of the Dreamlands?

I don't know of a link to a map, but there have been maps made of the Dreamlands. Chaosium has done one, I understand, to go with their Lovecraft gaming; and L. Sprague de Camp included one in his biography of Lovecraft, drawn by Jack Gaughan (facing p. 278).

I doubt HPL himsel did any,he wasnt Tolkien .

No, I don't know of any maps of "the Dreamlands" he ever did -- in fact, it's arguable that he himself thought of most of the tales in this fashion; as Joshi has noted, the majority of them actually take place in this world in the extremely remote past, save for "Celephaïs", The Dream-Quest of Uknown Kadath, and possibly "The White Ship"....

However, on the subject of maps... HPL did do maps for various stories, to help him picture the locale better for himself (and therefore to aid consistency in the stories). He did such maps of Arkham (actually, he had more than one of these, if I recall correctly), for instance. He even had a map of a locale he apparently intended to use, but never did... which is reproduced on an issue of Lovecraft Studies....

'dream-quest' is my favourite lovecraft story though i like it for different reasons than i like his other stuff.
has any other author set storys specifically in lovecrafts dreamlands?
i bought a collection of dunsanys work- 'fantasy masterworks- time and the gods'
so far i've only read the first few storys, - time and the gods', 'the coming of the sea', and 'a legend of the dawn', i find them similar to a book of creation myths i had as a boy; charming, in their own way, but not something i could really get my teeth into. i found 'dawnchild' bloody annoying though, i'd have taken her 'golden ball' off her before she threw it into traffic and caused a terrible accident.

'dream-quest' is my favourite lovecraft story though i like it for different reasons than i like his other stuff.
has any other author set storys specifically in lovecrafts dreamlands?

Brian Lumley and Gary Myers come to mind.

i bought a collection of dunsanys work- 'fantasy masterworks- time and the gods'
so far i've only read the first few storys, - time and the gods', 'the coming of the sea', and 'a legend of the dawn', i find them similar to a book of creation myths i had as a boy; charming, in their own way, but not something i could really get my teeth into. i found 'dawnchild' bloody annoying though, i'd have taken her 'golden ball' off her before she threw it into traffic and caused a terrible accident.

Magnificent book but horribly misprinted. Read "The Coronation of Mr. Thomas Shap" and you will see what I mean.

P. S. The "Shift" key is your friend!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lynnfredricks H P Lovecraft 5
J H P Lovecraft 11