New Lovecraft Journal Appears

j d worthington

Well, the first issue of the new Lovecraftian journal, The Lovecraft Annual, has just been put out by Hippocampus Press, and here's a list of the contents:

Lovecraft Annual No. 1 [2007] - Hippocampus Press

As you can see, there are things here that may appeal to those not necessarily Lovecraft fans, such as an article on A. Merritt's "The Face in the Abyss" (I assume the original novella, as I've not yet had a chance to read the article) and the Lovecraft revision tale, "The Mound", and articles on the relationship between Thomas Ligotti and HPL.

For those interested in such matters, the letters to Lee McBride White have (AFAIK) never been published before, save for very brief excerpts in articles; so here's an entire printing of the extant correspondence to White, which not only is likely to give plenty of new information and insight into Lovecraft, but -- including as it does some of the final days of his life -- is also of interest on that head as well.

All in all, it looks like a very promising start to the new journal. I received my copy yesterday in the mail, and hope to sit down and read it within the next week. Should anyone be interested, I'll share my thoughts with you on this one.

(Oh, and by the way, Phillip Ellis -- a fellow Chrons member under the name of ghyle -- also has an article in here, as well....)

Sorry I've been absent: I've been busy with various things, including university studies, lately, and I've only been able to find time to get back here recently.

Yes, there is an article by me, as well as a review. The latter was originally written for the Necropress journal, but was used by editor S. T. Joshi for the new annual.

I am currently working on another essay, hopefully for the next issue, and have news elsewhere regarding the HPL concordance.

Keep us posted on that, would you, Phillip? (By the way... I'm hoping to get to the Lovecraft Annual in the next week or so; if you're interested, I'll send you my feedback on the article....)

Feedback would be good, J. D. -- I'd appreciate the kindness.

Feedback would be good, J. D. -- I'd appreciate the kindness.

I'll be more than happy to send it along. I may not have a chance to get to it until next weekend, but I do look forward to it -- just as I do the finished version of the earlier piece you allowed me to have a look at....

Just an update: Next issue of Lovecraft Annual will have a piece by myself on the Ad Criticos poems. I am planning a piece on the topographical poems at the moment, and S. T. has said that there may be a slim chance of it being used as well; otherwise, I expect, it will go into the third issue.

Just an update: Next issue of Lovecraft Annual will have a piece by myself on the Ad Criticos poems. I am planning a piece on the topographical poems at the moment, and S. T. has said that there may be a slim chance of it being used as well; otherwise, I expect, it will go into the third issue.

Will be very interested in seeing some thoughts on both. I've come to rather like a fair amount of his topographical poems, several other aspects of his poetry; though not, as I mentioned elsewhere, necessarily as poetry... more for the underlying wit and often very surprising amount of information they contain. In this, they remind me of his letters, and are really worth examining for the thought that they are capable of provoking....