Fuel for the theory fire (and ice)

Faceless Woman

Pet Nymeria. Now die.
It's a GRRM ASOIAF children's book, called Ice Dragon. I ran across a signed copy today at the bookshop I volenteer at. I won't give away too many spoilers, but I believe it may hold the key to the mystery of the Others - and the unnatural length of the seasons.

That would be cheating. Besides, if I told you what I found, and then you read it, you might miss whatever I didn't mention.

Oh, I'm too exited! *SPOILER - but only one*

It takes a while to notice this, but in this book at the start they have normal seasons, one summer and one winter in a year. The titular character brings the long winters, which chase the smaller tame dragons away - but fire and ice are equal and opposite *wink wink, nudge nudge*.
No more spoilers. Read it.

I absolutely certain that this book is set in different but similar world. The amazon blurb says otherwise but from what I remember from what I read on the cover that it was not. It was written pre-asoiaf so I have to believe it wasnt otherwise it would be referenced in the bibliography as such

Last edited:
Last edited by Aegon the Unworthy : 15th August 2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Typos....I hate them

And yet, there are still some in your post (I know, I know, I'm no saint when it comes to typos either).

No, I don't have anything of value to add, just thought I would annoy Aegon. I've never seen the book in question.

Ah. If it's not part of the series, direct or indirect, then I'm not spoiling anything by telling you that I'm almost positive the little girl is an Other, that Others are created by Ice Dragons at birth and that they return to humanity when the Ice Dragon that made them dies. Good. I'd hate to spoil anything.

Ah. If it's not part of the series, direct or indirect, then I'm not spoiling anything by telling you that I'm almost positive the little girl is an Other, that Others are created by Ice Dragons at birth and that they return to humanity when the Ice Dragon that made them dies. Good. I'd hate to spoil anything.
That theory makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.
As the icedragon gets weaker the Other turns more and more human.
After all it did hurt the dragon when Adara touched it and it was in a weak state.

And she bacame a normal girl when it died.
You know, the more I think about it the more I like her as a distant, distant ancestor of the Starks.

Last edited by Aegon the Unworthy : 15th August 2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Typos....I hate them

And yet, there are still some in your post (I know, I know, I'm no saint when it comes to typos either).

No, I don't have anything of value to add, just thought I would annoy Aegon. I've never seen the book in question.

No no you completely misunderstood. I was putting typos into my post. I hate them and I try to get rid of them from my computer and put them back where they rightfully belong... On the intraweb.

Aint nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna hold me down....

Aint nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna hold me down....

Now you're quoting Men at Work...we're in BIG trouble now...

Who can it be knocking at my door?
Go 'way, don't come 'round here no more.
Can't you see that it's late at night?
I'm very tired, and I'm not feeling right.
All I wish is to be alone;

OR

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speaking my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich

:cool:

But if 'The Icedragon' is really set in the land of aSoIaF then there must be an awful lot of icedragons around. The Winters grew harder and loger the more Adaras connection with the dragon develloped. For a winter of several years there just have to be more than a few pairs.

:D The showdown will probably consist out of the Others riding icedracons fighting Dany and two others (whoever they may be), the wolves will grew wings and join in as well and in the end it will turn out that the godswood at Winterfell as Adaras dragon ... :D

There was some sort of battle between the two types of dragons before, which knocked the seasons out of wack. This one will put them back where they should be.

Interesting. I wonder if GRRM will introduce the idea of ice dragons in ADWD?

The next 2 books after ADWD (The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring) suggests that the seasons have alot to do with the storyline, probably more than they have so far.

You are going to jump on the inconsequential post and not the one with some substance to what this thread was originally about...sheeeesshhhh

HOWEVER, my dear friend:

Never heard of Matthew Wilder. He must be from Colorado or something. But I have heard of Men at Work and here is the quorus from their hit song:

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Oh no, I've got to keep on moving
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I've got to keep on moving

See the link for the whole song:
Men At Work lyrics - Ain't Nothing Gonna Hold Me Down

Maybe they are the same song, but performed by different artists...

Okay, i just read it, and these are my thoughts. (WITHIN ARE SPOILERS)

1)Adara was some kind of Other, whom was created at birth because an Oce Dragon happened to pass by, or so.
2) When the Ice Dragon dies, Adara becomes normal
3) The Ice Dragon clearly has feelings
4) Adara is not as cold and heartless as the others depicted by GRRM in AGOT. She knows love an happyness, but on a different level.
5) There are several Ice Dragons
6)There where/are different kinds of FireDragons.
7) The words Songs of Ice is mentioned.
8)The seasons seem to be of normal.
9) The Winter seems to get longer the more the Ice Dragon visits, However I see no mention of the summers getting longer,or the fact that they are no longer normal. There comes a winter every year, as there comes a summer every year. (as shown in the aging of Adara, and here growing affection with the Ice Dragon)
10) There are animals who live solely in the landscape created by the IceDragons. These beings die from warth, as does the ice Dragon.
11) In return Ice seems to be equally effective against Fire.
12) For normal beings Ice in its extremities brings death.
13) I am guessing the same can be said from fire, nothing is mentioned about them though.

14) Because of the cold creeping in, Adara's mother died during childbirth. This may prove to be significant, since it was said that Adara came out all blueish and touched by the cold. This is nothing more then speculation though.

15) I am certain the world in ASOIAF and the one in Ice Dragon are one and the same.