Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...*DEFINITE SPOILERS*

Erin99

So, the final book is released officially! Book 7 thoughts (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Woohooo! It's here!

Well, I figure I may as well set up the inevitable book seven thread now, at exactly the same time as it's officially released.

Personally I can't wait to finally read it and discover the answers to the mysteries.

So, once you've read the book (however long that takes), what are your thoughts? Did you like it? Was it everything you expected and more? Was it lousy? Were you disappointed?

I'm not getting a copy of the novel until tomorrow, so I'll have to wait a while before I can make up my mind.

Warning: There will probably be spoilers in this thread (duh!). :D

Re: So, the final book is released officially! Book 7 thoughts (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Two words, the first sounds like "clucking", the second is "super-duper-uber-amazing-brilliant-great-fantastic"!

Took me just shy of 5 hours 31 minutes, and boy was every minute worth it.

And so the spoilers begin:

First of all, I WAS SO VERY NEARLY RIGHT!! I said that one of the twins would die, so, of course, I back the losing horse. 50/50 chance and I get it wrong! Typical!

The rumours of Harry being the seventh horcrux proved [in my mind] surprisingly correct, too. We finally learn the truth about Snape, which is nice. And big shocker, didn't see it coming - Snape had one hell of a crush on Lily. Poor thing. And we find out about Dumbledore's death.

One thing that really seemed to stand out in DH, was how detailed Rowling's world is. It may not show in the other books, but in book 7 it is really clear how much thought has gone into all the different aspects of a world in which Wizards and magical folk live, especially where goblins are concerned. It's just a shame that there wasn't more of it.

As for the ending, I liked it. I really did. For a series that has had people crazy for a decade, the climax was nothing short of wonderful. None of this poncy "and it was all a dream" rubbish, but rather a satisfactory ending.

All in all, well worth the read (though I doubt that anyone needs to be told that!)

Oh, and one more thing - some of the deaths really did surprise me. The first one especially. Who'd have thought that the first character to go wouldn't be a magic user?

Re: has anyone else finished yet?

Roughly 6 hour fifteen minutes: finished!!

I don't know if I'd say anything actually surprised me, per se, since there was so much option for directions to go yet still end up in the right place. There seemed to be a lot of exposition, which has been the case with the latter couple of books, rather than action, and then the action itself is wham-bam and over.

Re: So, the final book is released officially! Book 7 thoughts (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

6:15 (give or take, and I really need some breakfast as it's now lunchtime!!)

Having already raised a thread about questions I was expecting to have answered, I think most of them were answered, few not in generally the way I expected. Some surprises though,
including a very interesting line of dialogue in the Epilogue.
In fact, I'd say it was really a very well written piece, in that it tied up so many ends, including ones you never quite realised were loose, from books as long ago as PS. Also, some quite nice false trails, leading to unexpected mid-point switch-backs before the sub-plot pay-off.

Agree about the first death though - unexpected. And we never found out more about the Dursleys (though I might have missed it).

Something I've just realised...

I always assumed that Dumbledore could see Harry when he was under the Cloak. Now it would seem that he couldn't, as it's effectively the most perfect cloak ever devised. I'm trying to think if the Marauder's Map showed him when wearing it, which would would allow that someone else's spells might show him up, e.g. Dumbledore's.

Also, JKR reputedly asked for Kreacher to be included in film-5, yet didn't enfore Sirius' pair of mirrors or the locket within Grimauld Place. Since the house elf's main role in 7 was to help find the locket, it seems a bit of a pointless request from JKR, surely?

Last edited:

Spoilers

I didn't think that that twins and Dobby really counted as main characters.

The end was a bit too happy. Only 4 characters of note died (Dobby, Fred, Lupin and Tonks) and the rest all got together.

Also, the best part in my mind was the battle for hogwarts :p:D

Spoilers
I'd have thought all the Weasleys counted as central, with one of the twins admittedly being a popular prediction. Mad-Eye and Hedwig also died, though obviously less central. I thought it was a clever idea to have the fight in stages at the school. It'll give the cast and crew something to look forward to come film 7.

spoilers

Well I guess it depends on who JKR considers main characters - hedwig, Lupin, Dobby, Fred (OMG poor George!)

Did anyone else nearly cry at the Snape Pensieve thing and Harry giving Albus the middle name Severus? Gah I'm getting weepy thinking about it.

BTW I loved the ending and anyone who complains about it being too happy needs slapped! - nothing wrong with a happy ending - it's a book for kids FFS :p

//end spoilers

btw is really necessary to hide spoilers in a thread marked possible spoilers?

Agree with the ending. I didn't find the deaths emotional, though I'm a sucker for underdogs and love triumphant (so was close earlier in the finale). Even, of all things, Kreacher leading out with his "army"... However, I did think it was right after the main stuff to do what she did; kind of avoided the detail but still captured the essence of what was going to happen in clever way. Pirates of the Cariebbean 3, though? The end-of-credits bit most people missed?

Fair point about the spoilers... from my view. Others?

Talking about spoilers, I've just been looking through threads on other forums with spoilers about the book... and not one that I can find is correct. :p

All I can say is "Professor Longbottom ?"

Almost as good as the hype

Makes sense though, doesn't it?

How long did it take you?

Considering I've got 2 kids under 5 I did well to read it in under 10 hours!

Worth every single minute of lost sleep....

Brilliant... loved it.

************TEENY SPOILER*********************

I'm especially pleased that my prediction about Neville doing something wonderful was proved so spectactularly right... I'd never have pictured him pulling out Godric Gryffindor's Sword!

xx

xx

I'm actually taking my time with it this time...usually I read them in one sitting, but the book is actually sitting in front of me, closed, at the moment. I'm surprised by how thin it is, to say it's the last book...I expected, with many of the loose ends to be tied up, that it would be as long as the Order of the Phoenix at least. And also, I'm about one fifth of the way through (despite telling myself I'd just read the first chapter then leave it until tonight to actually sit down and start reading it properly) Harry still hasn't left to go on his quest thing.
I've actually laughed out loud at a couple of witty one liners, such as Aunt Muriel telling George his "ears are lopsided" and Harry having to escape a drunk 'uncle' who couldn't decide if he were his son or not.
While on the subject of George...very glad that that's the worst that happened to him...and his initial reaction was quite good. Although, I know the twins are the pranksters, never really serious, but I would've thought he'd have a slightly more serious reaction, at least at first...
Anyway, I'm sure more will follow once I've finished...and so many Harry potter threads around here, I'll have to break up my thoughts and put them into the correct threads! :D

PTeppic - if someone can't work out from the thread title that Here Be Spoilers, then they've got big problems. :rolleyes:

6 hours 10 minutes. Got my copy delivered to the door at 8:30am, just as I woke up. Now that's good service. Gotta love the Royal Mail. ;)

My first thought on finishing? "Damn. Who knew that 'Rocks fall, everyone dies' would actually happen?!"

Gotta say, the first half of the book was pretty slow. 'Run, hide, run, hide, ad infinitum' gets old very fast. But the entire Hogwarts battle was worth it.

That Snape was a good guy all along, and that he killed Dumbledore at Dumbledore's own request, was a given. But doing it because he was in love with Lily just seems too fanfic-y for my liking. Yes he's good, but isn't he also supposed to be a badass? I didn't actually see that coming, though I did work out that the doe Patronus was connected to Lily in some way.

I was actually expecting Draco to switch sides at the eleventh hour, especially after Harry saved his life in the Room of Requirement. You disappoint me, Ferret-boy.

Am I reading it right that Harry's related to Salazar Slytherin? He's related to Peverell, and Gaunt said (IIRC) that he was related to Peverell and Slytherin. Still, at least he's not the sole heir of all four founders. *rolls eyes*

I predicted that one of the twins would die (right) and that Snape would die saving Harry's life (semi-right). I was actually more upset when Hedwig and Dobby died than any of the humans. I'm wrong in the head.

But she didn't kill Ron or Hermione?! Lady, you are no Joss Whedon. Killing Tonks and Remus does make up for it a tad, although I'm starting to suspect Jo has some kind of orphan fixation. Speaking of - I cannot believe Lupin had a cub and didn't name it Sirius. Some best friend he is.

Also predicted that Harry would defeat Voldemort without actually killing him. But Expelliarmus? He's already used Crucio and Imperius, and it just seems like Jo's still trying to make him out to be all noble and innocent. Didn't love that bit.

Did anyone else nearly cry at the Snape Pensieve thing and Harry giving Albus the middle name Severus? Gah I'm getting weepy thinking about it.
Personally I was punching the air shouting "YES, show some humility you unbelieving sod!" But that's just me. :p

On the matter of the invisibility cloak - if it's impervious to all spells, how did Draco Petrificus Totalus Harry when he was hiding on the Hogwarts Express at the beginning of Half-Blood Prince?

Was anyone else's heart in their mouth when Molly Weasley said; "Out of my way girls, she's mine," ?