Buggers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah the multiple variety of language.

Always makes me laugh. (The Americanisation of the word for rear-end is a completely different anatomy part in the UK :lol:)

I must admit when I read Enders Game I didn't bother about the name even though it has a different meaning over here.

In other news I have read that they are making an "Enders Game" game for the PS3/360 based around the Battlerooms

Sci-fi novel Ender's Game to become video game | Lifestyle | Living | Reuters

It bothered me cause i watch too much brit shows like Coupling and other comedy shows where they use the word all the time :p

I have to admit that when I first saw the name Buggers, I held the book out away from me like an old man trying to see better. I actually said; "What?" aloud. I still enjoyed the book as well as all in the Ender series. But the juvenile nature of the name diminished the story a little for me.

Dident really bother me, we dont use the word bugger up north,unless your a bit posh :p Anyway it was just a slang word, like jerrys or yanks etc. Plus there was their official name the Formics anyway.

The Shadow series (beans) was my favourite, only read the Speaker For The Dead series once whih reminds me I should really reread it. Dident like how it ended really.

I think the use of the word Buggers on the enemy is very realistic. During the Vietnam war, the Vietnamese were nicknamed VietCongs or Congs by the American Soldiers, and anyone who displays even a shadow of Hitler is called a Nazi. It's natural for us humans to name our enemies with nicks that make them look or sound inferior to us, which is ideal for this type of enemy since they are--technically--bugs. Plus, the story revolved around children who grew up hearing that word used by the locals. It's like jive or something for their time.

Well met indeed! Thanks.

No...it is I that should thank you for bringing me a realization. The way I read the book did not do it justice, and cheated myself.

I don’t know how others like to read, but for me part of the enjoyment and fun is to open my mind to the possibility of anything. Then to emeers myself into the story until I am on an equal footing with the characters, so that I may join them on their journey. I obviously failed to do that with this book as is evident by my previous comment; "But the juvenile nature of the name..."

Of course it was juvenile, the main characters were children !:eek:
Obviously my inner child was off playing somewhere and left me hanging that day.

I must now go back and reread in the proper frame of mind.

Last edited:
hell, i thought it was part of the sort of joke running throughout the book. i thought it was intentional but even if it wernt, who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back