What comic books/graphic novels are you reading at the moment?

Just read THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28 --- new series, not Silver Age --- with Blackhawk and the Flash. One of the best comic stories I've read in a long time. Writer J. Michael Straczynski and artist Jesus Saiz combine time travel (my favorite), World War Two (close second) and super-hero moral dilemmas (powerful if done well as was here) into a slam-bang, nonstop action adventure. If you enjoy stand-alone stories rather than open-ended arcs that never end this is very recommended.

Currently reading Superman Redemption, just finished Secret Six Vol 1 (new ongoing from Gail Simone) going to read either Logicomix or Fun Home next.

I only really read web comics (when it comes to comics/graphic novels), but my current favourites are:

Red Moon Rising (steampunk)
Two Rooks (dystopian SF)
Sarah Zero (crazy madness)

Sorry, I'm not allowed to post links yet, but you can Google them ;).

Richard Stark's Parker, #1: The Hunter by Darwyn Cooke

Richard Stark writing plus quality art.
A great,great Graphic Novel and now I finally see why Cooke's art is so highly rated.

Almost black,white art that makes the story come alive very strong. You can see Cooke is a real Richard Sta...more Richard Stark writing plus quality art.
A great,great Graphic Novel and now I finally see why Cooke's art is so highly rated.

Almost black,white art that makes the story come alive very strong. You can see Cooke is a real Richard Stark fan, Parker is drawn like a mean looking guy which is a copy of my ideal look for Parker that i have in my mind when i read the books.

I had already read the book since Stark/Westlake is one of my best writers. But Cooke's art made the story more than a straight adaptation of the novel but enhanced to be an interesting GN.

It was also choosed in New York's Book list of the year. I can clearly see.

I'm looking for sequel coming in 2010.

If you like comics like look as The Killer by Matz and realesed in english by Archaia Studios. A really cool ten issue series about a down to earth Leon like Assassin. With very cool French,Belgian art style.

Yesterday I just picked up the last three issues of Buffy Season 8. It's still the only comic that I purchase. I've never really got into another series mostly because I don't like to start in the middle of a story. I saw at the comic store that DC is going all out with the Blackest Night storyline. Seems like they liked the marvel Civil War idea.

I was quite surprised to find a graphic novel adapted from one of my favourite crime novels - Fast One by Paul Cain. It seems odd that anyone should seek out so obscure a book for doing so.

Nice to know it's out there in several formats though. :)

I absolutely loved Akira. Its funny, i'd seen the film so many times that i thought it wouldn't be worth reeding the graphic novel. How wrong was I!!! Its so much better than the movie, it feels alot more epic with so many more characters and plots.

The Graphic Novel ? You mean the hole manga series ? Or a singe volume/GN you read ?

Heh its funny i was in the library earlier today and saw Akira vol 1, thinking hm should i read it finally.

Yeah i mean the hole Manga series. Definately reed it! Its worth it! I actually havn't read any other manga's since because i can't find anything as good (well, in my opinion).

Well there are many great mangas. You should start with classics like Lone Wolf and Cub, a smart,amazingly drawn Samurai series from the 1970s. Its one of my alltime fav mangas and i have read at least 200 mangas.

Myself i'm back from american comics to my original fav type of comic in manga.

I have been enjoying Full Metal Alchemist vols. Have bought vol 15-17 this week. Been reading them.

Its a series that was voted all-time best anime series in Japan and the manga is even more highly rated.

Cool i should check those out.
I watched the entire anime series of Full Metal Alchemist and loved it so i guess i should give that one a try.

Cool i should check those out.
I watched the entire anime series of Full Metal Alchemist and loved it so i guess i should give that one a try.

The anime i watched too years ago and enjoy but just like Akira the manga is much better. The anime are only by half from the manga up till vol 6, after vol 6 to current volume 22 its a hole different story,characters.

You saw the anime you know FMA is a dark,thought provoking manga for a teenage fantasy like series. Thats what i always liked about it.

I absolutely loved Akira. Its funny, i'd seen the film so many times that i thought it wouldn't be worth reeding the graphic novel. How wrong was I!!! Its so much better than the movie, it feels alot more epic with so many more characters and plots.

I'll have to read the Akira manga one day - it's something I've been meaning to do for a while. Come to think of it, it's been ages since I saw the film, too...

In terms of graphic novels, I've been reading manga: Trigun Maximum (Yasuhiro Nightow), You're Under Arrest (Kosuke Fujishima) and Ghost in the Shell (Masamune Shirow) - all old favourites.

I also found a stack of old comics tucked away somewhere, from back when Manga video used to release books and comics (these were the manga from the Street Fighter series, years ago), so I read those through, too.:)

The anime i watched too years ago and enjoy but just like Akira the manga is much better. The anime are only by half from the manga up till vol 6, after vol 6 to current volume 22 its a hole different story,characters.

Just to present a different view, I personally prefer the anime to the manga in terms of storyline and characters. The different way the homonculi were created and the tie-in with Trisha, and the whole thing with Dante, was much better IMO than the manga, which at the moment (I'm up to vol 20) just seems to be going on and on with nothing happening. Bringing in characters from Xing just added needless layers of complexity. Also, the anime had one of the best musical soundtracks ever.

I'm not, I have so many books waiting to be read, it'd be unfair for me to go gallavanting around with a comic book.

You saw the anime you know FMA is a dark,thought provoking manga for a teenage fantasy like series. Thats what i always liked about it.

Have you seen there's Full metal alchemist 2 in anime? Its a remake but following the manga storyline. I watched a few episodes and there were big diferrences compared to the first anime. I think it was done because the fans of the manga complained about how different the anime was.

Back