Knights short story. Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green

Sick and Tired
Ok, I have no title for this one, but here it is, anyway :) This short story is something I've been kicking around for a while, and it's got to the stage where I can't improve it without feedback, so I am much obliged to all that take the time to crit this.

It was always more of an exercise in grammar and precision than anything else, so please feel free to line-edit, to point out bits that just smack of crap... but any general comments are also welcome, of course. Thanks all.

The Green Knight plodded his way to the wall. The going was laborious - his plates of bark and lichen armour threatened to fall away with each measured step.

‘Who here dares challenge my word?’ he cried to those standing guard atop the old ramparts of the city. ‘Who has called for my head upon their lance?’

There were words of consternation, barely audible above the panic. Nobody seemed ready to speak up. The Green Knight did not mind - he was well used to waiting. Even the smallest saplings could reach the sky, given time.

Minutes passed without reply, in which the Green Knight occupied himself by counting the woodlice scurrying between his moulding joints. He counted twenty-seven before the men on the walls called his name.

‘Green Knight,’ shouted one wiry man, his face gaunt and lacking pith. ‘There is no-one here who would dare challenge your sturdy name. You protect our lands, and for that we are grateful.’

‘The land knows my honour - the world sings my praise. Far and wide are told the tales of my deeds,’ replied the Knight.

The fleshy faces on the wall nodded in agreement.

‘And yet I hear rumours amongst the trees, whispers borne on salty winds, that there is one who would refute my irrefutable deeds.’ His voice boomed from the ages, resonant with cavernous echo. ‘Who dares challenge me?’

‘Green Knight,’ said the bravest man, ‘we would not dream of sullying your good name. Perhaps those salty winds were born in coastal climes. The town of Mere lies west of here.’

The Green Knight marched on.

Soft-sloped hills fell underfoot, pace by pace, and the sun continued its cherished arc across the sky. The Green Knight did not begrudge the journey – how else could one absorb the beauty of the Living Land, if not by gliding 'cross its glades?

The creaks of weathered tree stumps were the sound of his steps, the warm mulch of decay his only tracks. Tawny sparrows would greet his passing with their gleeful songs, but the Green Knight could not linger long. His progress was slow, but as inevitable as the sunrise.

He covered many miles before he first glimpsed Mere, its clutch of huts an outcrop of dark relief before the shores of the western sea. The air was strong with old salt and the grasses underfoot grew scarce, infiltrated with grating sand.

A small fishing town, Mere held little fascination for the Green Knight. Fish and their mundanities were not his concern. He knew of few, if any, fish who had ever visited his forest. In like regard, he had never visited Mere.

No walls surrounded Mere’s modest tendrils, and so the Green Knight addressed the town itself.

‘Town of Mere,’ he began, his words rugged as etched limestone. ‘I am the Green Knight--’

‘Green Knight!’ said a voice, deep and swirling, each word rising and falling in turn. ‘You dare to show your decrepit, humus-strewn face here?’

The Green Knight turned to the sea, to where the waves stroked the shore with their blue-white foam. There stood upon the beach a lone figure, as broad of shoulder as the Green Knight himself, though taller and less rigid of posture. He wore flowing beryl mail that hugged his form like waves gripping the beach, as though the links were no more solid than the pools of water at his shifting feet.

The Green Knight grasped his hickory sword in weed-like fingers, a tangled mass of knots. ‘Blue Knight,’ he said as he raised the blade to greet the sun. ‘I should have known you would dare to face me.’

‘Indeed you should,’ replied the Blue Knight in his rushing, rolling manner, ‘but you have ever been slow to learn.’

‘And you have ever been reluctant to grow. Your time has come and gone, old man.’

The Blue Knight reached beneath his cloak of shimmering scale and withdrew his own weapon of choice. The bleached white shaft of the coral spear was tri-pointed and looked brittle in the afternoon sun. He spun the thing around his body in fluid arcs, spraying droplets of brackish water like sweat across the earth.

The townspeople of Mere gathered upon the pebbled fringes of the beach in their anxious tens, eager to observe the clash of such renowned champions. None could deny their dual sympathies, dwelling as they did on the skirting tightrope of shore.

‘Will you bear witness to my deeds this day?’ asked the Green Knight of the appetent townsfolk.

‘We will!’ they cried in turn.

‘And will you bear witness,’ said the Blue Knight, his slow words building to a strong roar, ‘to
my deeds, this day?’

‘We will!’ they cried. ‘We will observe, and mark in detail the outcome of this duel.’

The Knights turned to face each other, each satisfied in their promise of glory.

‘You would presume,’ asked the Green Knight of the Blue, ‘to conquer the Knight of the Living Land?’ He flourished his hardwood blade, though the sunlight refused to glimmer from its dull surface. ‘I am ever successful in my endeavours. None have bested me – not even the Red Knight, with his hatred for all that lives. His victories are ever fleeting, and flare with his temper.’

‘I presume nothing, Green Knight,’ said the Blue, ‘since all that is mine returns to me in time. The Old Ocean is as insurmountable and as immovable as the rain. I am ever the limit of your ambition.’ Words streamed from his barnacled tongue, swells of bitter salt riding each blustered breath.

And so the Knights fought beneath an indifferent sun, its Golden Knight aloof and neglectful of their toil. The slow weave of the Green’s staunch advance matched the Blue’s building, swelling strikes with unhurried certainty. The Blue Knight absorbed the Green’s advances, neither flinching nor retreating, flooding each footfall with his rhythmic, drifting dashes.

For many hours they battled, neither one gaining the upper hand over the other. Ever they returned to the centre, each unable to break the stalemate.

The townspeople of Mere looked upon the two champions with waxing disinterest. When no Knight held advantage, how could they decide whom to cheer? How unfair to hold their attentions so indecisively, so conditionally! As each hour passed, fewer spectators remained. The ringing of blades filled their ears as they deserted the site in their impatience. No working man had time for such things.

‘You cannot stand before my advance,’ swirled the Blue Knight, his trident arcing with perfect timing.

‘You will not hold sway upon my beleaguered shore,’ replied the Green, beneath a measured swing of timber.

And so the sun curled low on the horizon, its warm shades masking the presence of those who might peer upon them with cold, vengeful delight. Neither saw the lone figure pick his way toward them, each step delicate and precise as louse legs, each stride slow as whale song. They fought on, and were lost in their mutual antipathy.

The sun dutifully set and the Silver Knight rode his way to the zenith of his influence. The sway he held upon the toiling combatants was dispelled by its own balance, and he contented himself with the joy of observation. Ever his taste was sterile and distant.

The Blue and Green Knights, exhausted from unenviable deadlock, finally swung their last blows, and collapsed together upon the cooling, grating sand. Neither had won, neither had gained upon their foe.

Only now did they appreciate the presence of another.

‘Well Met,’ said the White Knight, in sharp and painful pitch. ‘I Am Late, Again. As Is My Way. I Hope You Will Forgive My Tardiness.’ Each word was spoken with the creep of time, the force of mountains.

Neither combatant could raise the strength to answer his draining words, so exhausted were they from their struggles.

‘You Have Each Won And Lost The Devotion Of All You Survey, And Discarded It In Your Arrogance.’ His crystal crown did not glimmer in the light of the moon, but split it instead into twin components of dark and cold.

‘This is not your land,’ said the Green, his joints aching and growing stiff.

‘And you will never know these depths,’ whispered the Blue, though his heart grew cold and still.

‘Of Little Consequence,’ replied the White Knight, smiling his jagged smile. ‘I Need Not Know The Details. I Shall Own Them In Time, And Rewrite Their Essence. As I Have Owned You Both, And Precipitated Your Encounter.’

The White Knight held a translucent hand to the brow of each captive Guardsman. They shivered and slept, despite their vows of resilience.

Sleep was enough for the White Knight. He knew all about sleep.

He turned from the two lifeless forms, and began his Journey. He had work to do, and this time he would ensure his reign would last.

He headed inland, with all the time in the world. The snows fell thick as he went.

I enjoyed this short piece quite a bit, though there are a few areas I will point out that I feel could be improved. My biggest problem I have with the whole piece is the names of the Knights. I think it would be more original to give them actual names and maybe the common folk can refer to them as Green Knight or Knight of the Forest even would be better. Frankly to be a little brutally honest, I had a hard time starting to read this piece soon as I saw words Green Knight (a personal peeve I guess ;p)

The Green Knight plodded his way to the wall. The going was laborious - his plates of bark and lichen armour threatened to fall away with each measured step.

You have nice descriptions yet they dont fit a knight of the forest. I'm avoiding using "Green Knight" name.(I'd rather you gave him this stately name and then have others perhaps nickname him, also your repetitiveness of knight names drove me a little crazy, as previously stated, ;p)

Is the forest not being protected by him? If he represents the forest, to truly represent it he has to be both living and decaying at same time. I would expect to see new shoots of living on him as well as the mold.
If he is only decaying and moldy which are most of your descriptions of him then your Forest is Dying? Is that the reason why he feels the need to battle the ocean in which he has no domain or interest? Does he think the Ocean is causing the Forests death thus his own rotting demise? I have good descriptions yet you don't portray reasons nor intent for this battle. I'd like to have at least a hint or insight why it is necessary or they'd want to battle one another. Also in the battle later he doesnt appear to be labored or in ill health and yet you describe his travel to walls as laborious and his armor as rotting pretty much. Wouldnt the Knight of the midnight sea have an easy time of it with him if his armor is falling off. Hardly presents the stage for the epic battle you have.

‘Who here dares challenge my word?’ he cried to those standing guard atop the old ramparts of the city. ‘Who has called for my head upon their lance?’
I think you can get rid of "their lance" . Your Ocean fellow uses a spear and that doesn't qualify for a lance. Lance is a mounted weapon and certainly didnt take off heads, though they did try to bash in a few heads with them.

Minutes passed without reply, in which the Green Knight occupied himself by counting the woodlice scurrying between his moulding joints. He counted twenty-seven before the men on the walls called his name.
Everytime he counts it is a minute? BTW Minute is a more modern word, it wasnt used in Medieval times though it is based off the Latin Minuta I believe. Again too much description of decay. I think you meant woodworm also, they bore into wood. Woodlice don't actually make their homes in wood btw they are found under rotting wood perhaps on the forest floor but not inside it.
‘Green Knight,’ shouted one wiry man, his face gaunt and lacking pith. ‘There is no-one here who would dare challenge your sturdy name. You protect our lands, and for that we are grateful.
If they took 27 minutes, I don't think they'd send a lackey and your reply sounds too stilted and formal. Show fear if they are afraid of him in your words or if you need to make it sound pompous then have a figure of authority come to the wall especially if it took that long to make a reply.

This may be an unnecessary section too, as if the forest told him of the words they would hear of the general direction it came from too you would think. I'd put a little thought into it if you want to keep it and I do like the idea of it for flow but perhaps he heard specifically there was some peon here who had information.
A small fishing town, Mere held little fascination for the Green Knight. Fish and their mundanities were not his concern. He knew of few, if any, fish who had ever visited his forest. In like regard, he had never visited Mere.

Again you indicate he has no interest in the ocean realms, so why is he here what cause, why would the ocean knight have cause, unless there is some background information not given in this excerpt.

No walls surrounded Mere’s modest tendrils, and so the Green Knight addressed the town itself.

Town of Mere,’ he began, his words rugged as etched limestone. ‘I am the Green Knight--’
Please research your stones and bugs. Limestone is a relatively soft stone, it is susceptible to etching or scratching because it is so soft yes, but the word rugged doesnt belong, again you are implying that the Forest Knight is weak imho. I like the imagery I believe you are attempting to portray though I'm just questioning your word usage.

Green Knight!’ said a voice, deep and swirling, each word rising and falling in turn. ‘You dare to show your decrepit, humus-strewn face here?’
Pretty good insult as insults go.

The Green Knight turned to the sea, to where the waves stroked the shore with their blue-white foam. There stood upon the beach a lone figure, as broad of shoulder as the Green Knight himself, though taller and less rigid of posture. He wore flowing beryl mail that hugged his form like waves gripping the beach, as though the links were no more solid than the pools of water at his shifting feet.
Did you know most varieties of Beryl are clear transparent. It is not a stone found in the ocean but mountains. yes Beryl can be tinted with imperfections that give it color but then it is known as Emerald if green and Aquamarine if blue. Thus also I have a problem with the links being insubstantial and flowing. Though I do really appreciate the image you are trying to portray. I've done alot of stone/gem research for my own book as my magic system incorporates them, so I may be a little over the top on realism here.

The Green Knight grasped his hickory sword in weed-like fingers, a tangled mass of knots. ‘Blue Knight,’ he said as he raised the blade to greet the sun. ‘I should have known you would dare to face me.’
Yay you picked a hardwood that is plausible. It isnt clear what you are referring to as a mass of knots however, hopefully its not the wood.

‘Indeed you should,’ replied the Blue Knight in his rushing, rolling manner, ‘but you have ever been slow to learn.’

‘And you have ever been reluctant to grow. Your time has come and gone, old man.’
I actually like this dialogue with the exception of "Blue Knight" and the insult of "old man" Your Sea Knight is clearly not a man and if you are using it as an insult perhaps something like "Old Barnacle-encrusted shipwreck"

The Blue Knight reached beneath his cloak of shimmering scale and withdrew his own weapon of choice. The bleached white shaft of the coral spear was tri-pointed and looked brittle in the afternoon sun. He spun the thing around his body in fluid arcs, spraying droplets of brackish water like sweat across the earth.

I believe Brackish would be a combination of seawater and fresh water that is basically considered highly unpleasant. Never seen the earth sweat and if you are going to use imagery in the sense you have been I'd avoid the earth reference unless you show contempt for it.

You have the right idea where imagery is concerned. I got a good impression of what you were trying to convey. The flow seems to be there just need to work on some of the realism for me.

Thanks for replying :) Thanks for the tips on some of the details - I honestly hadn't thought about woodlice not being around wood, etc. Also, I have always thought of beryl as blue, but did not realise it was called aquamarine. I don't know whether I'd change it, even if it's technically wrong, since aquamarine is a crap word. Anyway, thanks for pointing that kind of stuff out.

I would like to expand on the imagery as much as possible - the Green Knight is not just the knight of the forest, but of the land and all that lives upon it, so I can see I could do with broadening his descriptions out a bit. Actually, all that stuff was the most challenging part of this, and pretty much why I did it in the first place. Trying to come up with interesting ways to describe someone as being from the sea was really bloody difficult! :)

I'm not sure I'd change the knights' names. They're meant to have simplistic names on purpose (actually, the whole piece is meant to be simple in theme and story), and I couldn't really get more simplistic than colours. It's also based on a dream I had, which I can't really remember much of any more, except that the knights were colour-aspected. Their reason for fighting? Pride, really. Not much else. The Silver Knight forced the encounter through underhanded bastardiness, but you're not really expected to know or care too much about it; it wasn't my intention to explain everything.

There's a few bits that you've picked up on where my meaning hasn't come across right, such as

"I believe Brackish would be a combination of seawater and fresh water that is basically considered highly unpleasant. Never seen the earth sweat and if you are going to use imagery in the sense you have been I'd avoid the earth reference unless you show contempt for it."

I wasn't referring to the earth sweating, but sweat being sprayed across the earth. So a little sentence rearrangement is probably called for. Also - the Green Knight wasn't counting minutes, he was counting woodlice :)

Thanks for having a read, you've given me some useful stuff to think over!

Status
Not open for further replies.