A short excerpt from my first chapter (424 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacha

Hello, I have just finished my novel, clicking in at 185,000 words. I'm at the editing phase now, I'm near halfway done, and it's already paying huge dividents in terms of the clarity of the book. In my hopes of getting this published, I know the first chapter has to really catch the eye, and I'm hoping to do that. I just wanted to see what any of you thought of a small excerpt from the very beginning - any advice, good or bad is quite welcomed. (There is a beginning before this even. Just 2 pages. It's not a prologue, but it's something seperate. This is where the first Chapter is placed in, and about - So That's why I am asking for feedback on this, rather than what comes before.)

A vibrant, orange streak soared into the sky, snaking over the hillsides and then shooting back up, progressing towards the sun before it suddenly exploded with a thunderous roar over a vast ocean of dancing and parading people. The orange color turned to a bright, alluring blue, as sparks of fire started to fall from the sky, evaporating into the air before they had the chance to touch down onto the wet, green grass.

“’Ey, look! The carriages are startin’ to come in!” A man yelled out, stretching out his neck in excitement.

Under the fire-filled horizon, carriages, pulled by horses wrought with exhaustion, were making their way over the grassy hills. They came every few ours from the Greenlands, carrying fireworks, toys for children, drinks for the partying people, and other assortments of small things. It was the annual party of life in Finden, where the people would celebrate each year of existence with a grand festival. Women would abandon their duties of housekeeping, shops were closed -- all that remained opened were the inns. And the bar seats were never without a warm body.

Dusk had begun to fall over the town; night would come to conquer soon. But it would not deter the joyful people, who danced and enjoyed a wondrous day with their neighbors. The small community was kept together by their shared interests. This was not a place of fancy buildings and royal streets paved in gold: they kept their buildings square-shaped, and their belly’s round, and that’s how they liked it.

“Where is that Binden!” a woman could be heard yelling from within a crowd of people. “We’re going to run out of fresh food soon!”

Binden, the only man who supplied this little town with food. He wasn’t the only farmer because the soil was bad, or the weather was temperamental, but rather because of a most unlikely fairytale. Long ago, there was one who threatened to hold all of the lands in an eternal iron clasp of sinister hatred. The people of Finden swore that terrible things lived underground during this time. The people said they could hear the ground rumble, they could see the dirt move. One even said he saw the creature. They called them Gravewakers, for they said these monsters, as they referred to them, could wake a dead man resting in his grave. The cynical being, who commanded the name, Dark Lord, was ultimately vanquished from his throne, but nevertheless, the tale lives on. All but one man, Binden, believe in this story.

I'm not sure you should welcome bad advice, Chacha...

Well, to be truthful, I wasn't particularly drawn to this piece. I think the first paragraph - and the first sentence in particular - is too drawn out and wordy, for my tastes at least. I'd like to see it toned back, or even broken up into shorter sentences - something that might reflect the sharp explosions of fireworks, perhaps. A question here - are they some kind of magic fireworks? If not, they aren't going to be particularly impressive in the daylight.

Second paragraph: The 'a' shouldn't be capatalised, as it's an attribution to the preceding dialogue.

Third paragraph: That'd 'hours' rather than 'ours', I'm guessing. At this point I started thinking about that other novel that begins with a party and fireworks... This paragraph had an element of telling and not showing - I think a little expansion may make it easier to disguise this info drop. Plus, I was a little perplexed by the idea of these carts arriving every few hours with more drinks, more fireworks, and more toys - surely, the party being an annual event, they would have had ample time to ship in this stuff in the days leading up to it...?

Fourth paragraph: It should be 'bellies', not belly's', as the bellies don't own the round.

Fifth paragraph: The first section of dialogue is a question, so a question mark should really be used. I think '...a woman yelled from the crowd.' or similar would improve the flow, as would contracting the second section of dialogue: 'We'll run out of fresh food soon!'

Sixth paragraph: Huge info dump. Try and diffuse this information somehow - through dialogue, maybe, or just try and space it out some. Watch the repitition of 'The people...' starting successive sentences. The section:

One even said he saw the creature. They called them Gravewakers...

...is contradictory - there's one, then there's many? Which is it? Then:

The cynical being, who commanded the name, Dark Lord, was ultimately vanquished from his throne, but nevertheless, the tale lives on.

First, remove the comma before 'Dark Lord', it is an unnecessary pause. I don't understand the 'cynical being' part, because on the one hand I wonder why he's so cynical, and on the other because it's the first mention of this Dark Lord, but it seems we should already know about him, if you know what I mean. He just suddenly crops up in this paragraph about 'Gravewakers' unheralded.

If Binden (Binden of Finden? Is the rhyme intentional?) doesn't believe in this fairy tale, perhaps a better way to introduce the reader to it would be to have other characters talking about it, and Binden overhearing and refuting it. A little cliched, but you get the idea, hopefully.

Otherwise, fairly well written. I'd like to see it after a few more rewrites. In the meantime I hope my advice was good rather than bad, or at the very least somewhat useful...

A vibrant, orange streak soared into the sky, snaking over the hillsides and then shooting back up, progressing towards the sun before it suddenly exploded with a thunderous roar over a vast ocean of dancing and parading people.

Do you mean the streak soared into the sky, then snaked, then shot back up, and then progressed to the sun, and then exploded? The way you phrase this means the streak snaked over the hillsides, shot back up, progressed towards the sun while at the same time soaring into the sky. I suppose either is possible, but just so you know.

The orange color turned to a bright, alluring blue, as sparks of fire started to fall from the sky, evaporating into the air before they had the chance to touch down onto the wet, green grass.
Would perhaps be more natural to say the orange color changed into blue, or that the streaks of light turned blue.

Under the fire-filled horizon, carriages, pulled by horses wrought with exhaustion, were making their way over the grassy hills.
So what do exhaustion-wrought horses look like?

They came every few ours from the Greenlands, carrying fireworks, toys for children, drinks for the partying people, and other assortments of small things.
Hours*

"Other assortments of small things" just sound like a cop-out to me. "They came every few hours" is also ambiguous - do they normally come every few hours, or is this just for the festival? Something like "It was one of many that had been arriving from the Greenlands that day, ..." perhaps?

It was the annual party of life in Finden, where the people would celebrate each year of existence with a grand festival. Women would abandon their duties of housekeeping, shops were closed -- all that remained opened were the inns. And the bar seats were never without a warm body.
Is 'party of life' the name of the festival? If so it should be capitalised. If not consider giving it a name.

Dusk had begun to fall over the town; night would come to conquer soon. But it would not deter the joyful people, who danced and enjoyed a wondrous day with their neighbors. The small community was kept together by their shared interests. This was not a place of fancy buildings and royal streets paved in gold: they kept their buildings square-shaped, and their belly’s round, and that’s how they liked it.
Enjoyed the wonderous day instead of a. I'm also not sure what you mean by shared interests. Do you mean they just share certain values and morals? Shared interests would mean they like getting together and knitting or something. Also, "square-shaped" doesn't really flow. I know that you're building up to the round belly remark but you might be better off finding another description.

“Where is that Binden!” a woman could be heard yelling from within a crowd of people. “We’re going to run out of fresh food soon!”
You could take out 'fresh' or just replace 'fresh food' with fruits, veg, or a specific type of food. How often do you yell "We're going to run out of beverages soon!" At a party?

Binden, the only man who supplied this little town with food. He wasn’t the only farmer because the soil was bad, or the weather was temperamental, but rather because of a most unlikely fairytale. Long ago, there was one who threatened to hold all of the lands in an eternal iron clasp of sinister hatred. The people of Finden swore that terrible things lived underground during this time. The people said they could hear the ground rumble, they could see the dirt move. One even said he saw the creature. They called them Gravewakers, for they said these monsters, as they referred to them, could wake a dead man resting in his grave. The cynical being, who commanded the name, Dark Lord, was ultimately vanquished from his throne, but nevertheless, the tale lives on. All but one man, Binden, believe in this story.
This paragraph is a huge change in tone and perspective. Everything before this has been from the point of view of someone who is in the crowds at the festival. Suddenly you change into this unidentifiable voice who is telling you about things that the readers probably aren't curious about at this point. While I can't really comment without reading the rest of your work, I'd say you could just mention the fact that Binden is the only farmer in the area and drip-feed the rest of the information later.

It's a good fantasy opening. In future chapters you might consider describing the smells and sounds of this world. I would remove a few adjectives (four or five) to make the first chapter go faster, and draw the reader into the story. I've put some suggestions between parentheses below. You might start with a brief history of this fantasy planet, or a very brief prologue, for example a scene where a character is being chased, or confronts a Gravewalker or the Dark Lord.

A (vibrant), orange streak soared into the sky, snaking over the hillsides (and then shooting back up), progressing towards the sun before it (suddenly) exploded with a thunderous roar over a (vast) ocean of dancing (and parading) people. The orange (color) turned to a bright, alluring blue, as sparks of fire (started to fall = fell) from the sky, evaporating (into the air) before they (had the chance to =could) touch down onto the wet, green grass.

Dusk had begun to fall over the town; night would come (to conquer) soon. But it would not deter the joyful people, who (danced and) enjoyed a wondrous day with their neighbors. The small community was kept together by their shared interests. This was not a place of fancy buildings and royal streets paved in gold: they kept their buildings square (-shaped), and their bellies round, and (that's = that was) how they liked it.

“Where is that Binden!” a woman could be heard yelling from within a crowd (of people). “We’re going to run out of fresh food (soon)!”

Binden, the only man who supplied this little town with food. He wasn’t the only farmer because the soil was bad, or the weather (was) temperamental, but (rather) because of a most unlikely fairytale. Long ago, there was one who threatened to hold all of the lands in an eternal (iron) clasp of (sinister) hatred. The people of Finden swore (that) terrible things lived underground during this time. (The people said) they could hear the ground rumble, they could see the dirt move. One even said he saw (the = a) creature. They called them Gravewakers, for they said these monsters, (as they referred to them), could wake a dead man resting in his grave. The (cynical) being, who commanded the name, Dark Lord, was ultimately vanquished from his throne, but (nevertheless,) the tale lives on. All but one man, Binden, believe in this story.

Thought just struck me out of the blue (so it may be rubbish) - how about including the whole Gravewakers bit as an epigraph (little bit at the start of the chapter).

Last edited:
Thank you for all your comments. They certainly did me no harm - they were very well thought out.

I've changed the entire opening. After I read over it a few times, and read through your comments, I decided that this really wouldn't stick. So, basically, what I did was cut out the first few pages, and alter the ones after that. (In the first chapter.)

I actually do have a prologue of sorts - it shows the Dark Lord, how he came, what he brought, etc, etc. But it's too long to post here, and excerpts would make no sense. But, here is a sample of the first chapter - Redone. I know it needs more rewrites, but I'd like to know what you guys think of it so far.

Gray smoke fluttered beneath a darkened sky. It carried westward, above a maze of simple buildings, and past a parade of dancing people. Its trail began to disappear as it rose above a steep hill and a lone house.

“This damned party,” muttered a man sitting in a chair on his lawn.

Yells and laughs from the merry people down below echoed all the way atop this hill, reaching the old man’s ears, and then they seemingly faded with the air. He cringed and wrinkled his nose at the smoke stench, mixed with fire-cooked tomatoes, potatoes and stews that were brewed down below. The wind was mild; the perfect speed to carry a consistent load of smells from the party to the man’s house.

Binden was his name. An aging man who loved to farm, and eat the food he harvested, as told by his round belly. He relaxed in a cedar chair, rocking back and forth. His eyes gazed through the thin layer of fog from the smoke, and into the sky to where the stars shined brightly through. He enjoyed sitting back and studying them, especially after a hard days work of farming in his fields. And a day could not go without work, for he was the only farmer in the entire town of town of Finden. The other folks believed in an old tale that had been passed down through the ages: they thought something lived underground, Gravewakers they called them. Binden and his son, Giel, were the only ones who didn’t believe in such things.

Though his son helped with the farm duties, he had other interests that often stole his attention away: playing with the wildlife that often stalked the edges of their property, going into the shallow woods and building things from fallen trees, they were all more important to him than farming.

“Father, father!” Giel called out from within the woods.

Binden leaned forward in his chair, looking for his son. Giel’s large frame tore through the thick brush, and he sloshed through the muddy farm fields, towards Binden.

“Son, what is it?” Binden asked, trying to drown out the ruckus from the party below.

“Look!” Giel yelled, twisting around and pointing into the sky.

Binden look towards where Chachant was pointing, straining his eyes to see something. “I don’t see anything.”

“You will, just wait,” Giel said, now standing next to his father. He was bent over, his chest heaving as he tried to regain his lost breath.

“Whatever it was, it must not be coming--,” Binden didn’t finish his sentence, he stared with widened eyes into the horizon.

Ascending over the tall, gargantuas trees, was what looked to be a long streak of fire, speeding towards their house. Chachant ran his hand thru his short black hair. His blue eyes sparkled with awe as he looked on in earnest.

“What is it?” he asked.

Binden shook his head. “I don’t know.”

“Maybe it’s one of the fireworks from the party,” Chachant guessed. Though, he wasn’t quite sure how it hooked around the trees.

“No, it’s not a firework,” Binden said.

The object came closer now, flaunting its fiery orange color as it effortlessly glided through the air. As it came nearer, it was clear what it was: a bird.

It draws the reader directly into the story. The festival scene can come later. I wonder about Binden being the only farmer. In medieval societies 90% of the population worked in agriculture, zombies or not. Does he own most of the land around town, and hire itinerant laborers to work the fields, or have his fields been blessed by a spell, possibly cast by the Dark Lord himself? Maybe the residents of Finden aren't as free as they think. In the final sentence, keep some sense of mystery. "Was it a bird?" This is no ordinary bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.