ST: XI - The Menagerie

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Star Trek XI to be Enterprise Movie?

I found this on Ananova from Dreamwatch magazine. You'll have to make your own judgement on how reliable it is (you'll see why!)

Ananova:

Star Trek 11 on the horizon?

Star Trek producer Rick Berman says he's working on what could be the 11th Star Wars [sic] movie.

He told sci-fi magazine Dreamwatch: "I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next Star Trek movie. It's something I will be producing with two other producers."

Berman, who has effectively run the franchise since the death of Gene Roddenberry in 1991, wouldn't be drawn on plot details.

But he did admit that Trek 11 would be a prequel.

I'm assuming that 'Star Wars' is a mistake :) (I'm sure George Lucas has no plans for 11 films.) In which case the movie would be an 'Enterprise' movie if it's a prequel. I'd then have to jump to the conclusion that either he already knows that 'Enterprise' has been cancelled and this will tie up the loose ends, or, it will take place after the end of 'Enterprise' and so is concerned with the Earth-Romulan Wars, The Treaty of Algeron, and the formation of the United Federation of Planets.

Thats kind of one of those good news bad news thing.
Could be good if it was about the formation of the federation and done well, but bad news because as you say if they intend to
do an enterprise movie there is no way they would do that unless enterprise was on the way out. Pity, its been good so far this season (uk viewer so only half way through).:D :(

Not to be an Enterprise Movie...

from SciFi Wire
[Rick] Berman and two other producers... are in "very early discussions" about another Star Trek feature film. It would be a prequel, but not related to Enterprise, he said [to USA Today].

not related to Enterprise sounds interesting!

Picked this off the Trek Web site regarding the potential new Trek film

After over a year of silence on the future of the STAR TREK feature film franchise, producer Rick Berman has finally dropped the first hints of a new theatrical project for the franchise. The news comes in the new issue of Dreamwatch magazine, just coming out in the UK.

Speaking in issue #117, Berman confirms for the first time that he is now developing a STAR TREK feature film project: "I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next STAR TREK movie," reveals Berman, in an excerpt provided by Dreamwatch. "It's something I will be producing with two other producers."

Unwilling to offer many details he cryptically describes it as "a prequel" without any further elaboration. The names of his producing cohorts will have to remain unknown for now, as well. This follows a report earlier this week from Dark Horizons that Paramount may be working on a project the site described as "Starfleet Command." Coincidentially, former TREK producer Harve Bennett (STAR TREKs II-VI) revealed recently that several years ago he had pitched a Starfleet Academy-based STAR TREK movie concept.

On the television front, while the future of their first series remains in limbo, Berman confirms that he is developing a non-STAR TREK sci-fi series with partner Brannon Braga. Both Berman and Braga have development deals with Paramount. If a new series begins development in earnest, TrekWeb insiders suggest Berman and/or Braga might take a reduced role in a fourth season of ENTERPRISE, though this is entirely speculation.
Could this include a rumour for Star Trek series 6 as well?

Originally posted by ray gower
Could this include a rumour for Star Trek series 6 as well?

Possibly, did you know that DS9 began life as a non-Star Trek idea. It was something Michael Piller was working on for a long time with Rick Berman. Paramount weren't interested in it until 'Babylon 5' was mooted, when they suddenly developed an interest. It could have been set in a completely different universe, but the idea of using the Star Trek background of aliens, cultures and technology was just too good.

I'm not sure where to put this thread. It's not about Enterprise anymore, and this new movie is only speculation so doesn't warrant a forum. I may move it to Star Trek General Discussions.

I'd still like to see that Harve Bennett Starfleet Academy-based STAR TREK movie concept made. He did develop a script from the idea but it was turned down. Whether Berman has picked it up to rewrite it, or whether this is something completely and totally different is a question I'd like answered.

The Starfleet command idea sound like it could be good.
As for the academy idea, I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere when voyager was coming to an end that the next series could be a starfleet academy based series. Obviously, it was eventually enterprise.
Anyone else remember that or am I just totally wrong.

A :confused: Col. Jack

We bounced around the idea of a Star Fleet Academy series here http://www.ascifi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12811 shortly after ST Enterprise was launched, with a few suggestions for other series.

At the time the general thought was that it would end up like Roswell, a bunch of tacky bimbos running around saving the galaxy. Come back Wesley Crusher :dead:

While Star Fleet Command could equally become Stargate Command.

I agree, I liked the original Harve Bennett idea of a "Starfleet Academy" film, but as a series it would become 'the adventures of young James T Kirk' or 'the young Spock chronicles' along the lines of what TV did with Indiana Jones or Sherlocke Holmes. I think it would be worse than 'Roswell' or 'Smallville' though that would likely be the audience they would be out to snatch.

Originally posted by Dave
I agree, I liked the original Harve Bennett idea of a "Starfleet Academy" film, but as a series it would become 'the adventures of young James T Kirk' or 'the young Spock chronicles' along the lines of what TV did with Indiana Jones or Sherlocke Holmes. I think it would be worse than 'Roswell' or 'Smallville' though that would likely be the audience they would be out to snatch.

Re: Harve Bennet and the post Star Trek: The Motion Picture.........

Bennet wanted to do a prequel as the second movie. In the pre-internet days Paramount was flooded with fan mail against this idea. So Bennet went back to TOS. The Wrath of Khan was made the best Star Trek movie ever. Young Indiana Jones, Roswell, Smallville or a Star Fleet Academy show are fine for TV not as a Star Trek movie.

Indeed B&B need to be replaced, Star Trek needs new leadership as this bit of news from points out. http://www.cinescape.com/0/editoria...tion=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&obj_id=41863

BABYLON 5 & DARK SKIES creators asked to save STAR TREK
Dateline: Friday, June 18, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL
By: News Editor
Source: Usenet, JMSNews

Perhaps the brass at Paramount are thinking that the best way to plot the future course of STAR TREK is to hire outside their universe's box.

In a recent post made to the BABYLON 5 Usenet group (and archived at JMSNews), series creator J. Michael Straczynski surprised his fans by revealing that he and DARK SKIES creator Bryce Zabel wrote a treatment earlier this year for a new STAR TREK television series. Straczynski felt that the new premise "would restore the series in a big way. I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Apart from this tantalizing admission from the writer/producer/showrunner, no further details about the premise of Straczynski and Zabel's TREK show were mentioned. It's the first indication that someone from outside of the current STAR TREK creative team of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had been asked by Paramount to develop an idea for Gene Roddenberry's universe. Braga has mentioned that he is stepping back from the showrunning of ENTERPRISE's fourth season, and that he and Berman are working on a new sci-fi series that isn't STAR TREK. Could Paramount really be considering a changing of the guard for their long-running franchise?

For his part, Straczynski spoke positively over the introduction of ODYSSEY 5 creator Manny Coto into ENTERPRISE's production. Coto joined the series last year and wrote four episodes; for the forthcoming season, he will be stepping up his duties and showrunning the series. "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process," Straczynski said.

Originally posted by dvo47p
Straczynski spoke positively over the introduction of ODYSSEY 5 creator Manny Coto into ENTERPRISE's production. Coto joined the series last year and wrote four episodes; for the forthcoming season, he will be stepping up his duties and showrunning the series. "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process," Straczynski said.

So, what do you think of his comments dvo47p?

Only, I remember that you posted that Manny Coto's episode 'Simultude' was sleep inducing!!

This is the episode fans have voted the best of Season 3, and which Rick Berman himself rates as the best.

I actually don't like it for another reason. It perpertuates the idea that clones are exact likenesses of individuals, disregarding all the environmental factors. It's just bad science!

I liked Manny Coto's 'Odyssey 5'. I really liked it a lot. I also know that he, and Rick Berman and Brannon Braga could beat me in any Star Trek trivia quiz, and I think they are the best people to run the franchise, but the most genuine criticism of Star Trek that I read isn't about the storytelling, it concerns that poor science 'fiction' they use. The lack of thought that allows things such as the concepts of 'Simultude' ENT and 'Genesis' TNG, together with the lack of cohesion between different writers over how the different future technologies actually work.

IMHO there are also some problems over how different writers write the characters, especially Archer. He often seems to have split personalities.

Enterprise is not my favourite Trek series, but beggers can't be choosers. Season 3 has been better, with Chris Black, Mike Sussman and Manny Coto writing Brannon and Braga have been producing rather than writing everything and that shows.

I think Rick Berman still probably knows more about what is going on in Star Trek than Michael Straczynski and this is what he says in 'Star Trek Magazine' June/July 2004:

"I will say that I am involved in the very early stages of what could be the next Star Trek movie. I think that to refer to it as a prequel would be valid. To refer to it as a trilogy would be premature. The mentions of Kirk and things like that, it's a little premature to be talking of things like that. It's something I will be producing with two other producers, and it's in a very early stage of development.

There is also another television show that Brannon and I are working on."

Originally posted by Dave So, what do you think of his comments dvo47p?

Boilerplate! It is what happens in ratings that counts. UPN wants to dump the money hole ‘Enterprise’ alas Viacom want’s the syndication episodes, the more the better. Say did anyone here catch Dark Skies creator Bryce Zabel, in Patrick Sauriol’s Cinescape scoop?

Say DS9 was created after J. Michael Straczynski he went to Paramount and told them all about his Babylon: 5 idea.

It was all about a space station with all sorts of inter-galactic races represented, including in the series theme an ongoing battle between good and bad aliens of incredible power, the good ones being viewed by some as, essentially, gods.
Oh, and the Sisko, Sheridan or was it Sinclair all end up "going away" with the good 'Ancient's' or 'Space Shio' at the end & everybody is ok, nah.

Only, I remember that you posted that Manny Coto's episode 'Simultude' was sleep inducing!!

'Simultude' I posted about Odyssey: 5 here? Dave that had to have been Ron D. Moore who was definitely trying to get this gig! Maybe what I know I have done before, point out that Odyssey: 5 had higher rating than Jeremiah, yet it was canceled first? Hopefully, Coto will continue to have a major influence on the production and writing of the show, leaving Berman/Braga to go mess with whatever project they're messing with now.

Speaking of a real mess, finding a way to work out this annoying Space Nazi that needs serious Botox PLUS! Dump this odd plot twist and turn the series towards the Romulan War as soon as possible. If not, then Coto should write the series out of this mess in the very first episode of the fourth season, hopefully in a way that will take the series back on course or pretend this never happened. Say borrow that scene from ‘Dallas’ when the guy hops outta the shower and the last season WAS REALLY A NIGHTMARE!

Regardless, this is exactly what one might have expected from Berman and Braga. Having resolved plot threads that were repaired in the most logical way possible, they went right back to their endlessly repetitive time travel motif and tossed in the UGLY Space Nazis in the process. It’s as if they never learned a thing from the lessons of the third season. Tell a compelling story with some measure of originality, and praise will come on its own. Rehashing Nazis yet again is not compelling, and it’s not original.

I liked Manny Coto's 'Odyssey 5'. I really liked it a lot. I also know that he, and Rick Berman and Brannon Braga could beat me in any Star Trek trivia quiz, and I think they are the best people to run the franchise, but the most genuine criticism of Star Trek that I read isn't about the storytelling, it concerns that poor science 'fiction' they use. The lack of thought that allows things such as the concepts of 'Simultude' ENT and 'Genesis' TNG, together with the lack of cohesion between different writers over how the different future technologies actually work.

Forgive me for being difficult. But isn't this (poor science) the sign of poor storytelling?

Take any science fiction story, be it Star Trek or War of the Worlds and the science behind them is based upon a high level of hokum. Even if, as in the case of Day After Tomorrow, it has a thin veneer of real science.

It is the level of 'passion' (for the sake of a better term) in presentation and struggle in finding an answer that makes the 'Science' believable. All of that has to start with the telling of the story. (Some acting helps too, but I've bounced on that one before ;))

In Star Trek we now have standard cures, a burst of something from the deflector dish, a poke from a medi-spray, even the transporter are ready made dogs dinners of cliche used wantonly as a quick solution, without explanation or testing and it works as if by magic.

Originally posted by ray gower Forgive me for being difficult. But isn't this (poor science) the sign of poor storytelling?

Take any science fiction story, be it Star Trek or War of the Worlds and the science behind them is based upon a high level of hokum. Even if, as in the case of Day After Tomorrow, it has a thin veneer of real science.

Nothing to forgive Ray, sh*t Star Wars is a religion to some folks, I’m serious these fools can ponder away on Jar Jar?

Star Trek with its technobabble, i. e. Flux Capacitors, Warp Core, BS instead of character driven themes, this is why a prequel will not work I can pull up my cell phone and call a cousin in Germany, when Kirk, Spock & Bones did this it was fiction, but they had characters we liked, Archer we know he has a get outta H*LL card.

Ray why is it so hard for Morgan Freeman an Academy Award winning actor get ‘Rendezvous With Rama’ done? I’ll answer this one, Arthur C. Clarke has no funky aliens, no Lightspeed, sound in space? My show Ray (Battlestar Galactica) was hijacked, zero personality on board, a soap opera set in space with all the sex involving at least one Cylon?

[/B] The Day After Tomorrow, it has a thin veneer of real science.[/B]

My toilet paper has better tensile strength than this ICE AGE!
RANT OVER

Ok it is called science fiction for a reason, buddy Orson Welles scared the bejesus out some in the NJ area with ‘War of the Worlds’ on radio?

Yoda whooping on Dooku was fun, but are we ahead of the curve, Lucas cannot keep turning out a new version of the original Star Wars anymore because I ain’t paying to see how and why, I already know the end!

I’ve started buying good westerns on DVD Ray, and old Scifi like Rocket Ship XM & When Worlds Collide, the kind that movies where the good guy gets shot, not get the girl or run outta town, something bad happens like Earth is gone….

Going for old Westerns and you are complaining about bad stories?

Seriously, I have nothing against scientific gobble-de-gook, it is what makes real Science Fiction and ST would not be ST without a generous helping. But the problem is the writers merely look for an answer in the Scientific Adjective Producer and never try and reason out how and why a solution works.

Day After Tomorrow is a good film, even ignoring the effects.
They have taken a number of scientific facts, asked what happens if, then woven a dramatic story around it. In the process those facts have been twisted and distorted- But it still looks reasonable, while you are in the theatre. It is a long time since ST has achieved that.

Originally posted by ray gower Going for old Westerns and you are complaining about bad stories?
Ray what is wrong with:Stagecoach, Red River, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, High Noon, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, True Grit, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance et al

Star Trek XI to be a Romulan War Movie

The latest reports -- Trek Today/Slashdot/Bureau 42 -- are based upon an interview Rick Berman has done for Star Trek Communicator (Star Trek fan club newsletter)

http://www.trektoday.com/news/090704_04.shtml

Apparently, 'Enterprise' will not be going near the Earth-Romulan Wars because that will be featured in the next film.

I've read a lot of discussion on how this is the work of Paramount Executives. I have to agree that making a Romulan Wars film with a cast of unknowns would generate a lot more profit than getting TNG/DS9/VOY actors to reprise their TV roles. But that would show a complete disregard for the fans.

So, what is new? :rolleyes:

BTW: dvo47p -- 'Flux Capacitors' were the invention of Doc Brown in 'Back to the Future'. 'Star Trek' just borrowed them (presumably as a joke.)

There is an interesting interview with Rick Berman here:
http://www.iesb.net/movies/movie91304b.htm

As well as posing the question of appearances by 'Stargate' actors in 'Star Trek' he is asked about the next 'Star Trek' film and confirms the rumour about the cast of new characters.

Rick Berman: The rumors are not very accurate, we are in very early stages and we are not sure what we will see at the end. A few things that I can share is that the movie will be a prequel and probably after Enterprise. It will be like nothing we have ever seen on Star Trek and it will be based on all new characters.

Flux Capacitor

BTW: dvo47p -- 'Flux Capacitors' were the invention of Doc Brown in 'Back to the Future'. 'Star Trek' just borrowed them (presumably as a joke.)

Just to change the subject slightly, aparently the object used for the Flux Capacitor in Back to the future is a bit of an in-house gag.

The Mysterious Object Strange stuff indeed.:laugh:

On a serious note, this is great news if they are still planning to do another film, despite Enterprise's ups and downs.

Re: Flux Capacitor

Originally posted by Jax
Just to change the subject slightly, aparently the object used for the Flux Capacitor in Back to the future is a bit of an in-house gag.

A few of the TNG effects and promotional staff (including Denise Okuda) worked on The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension. It was a cult film on set. I can't remember which one now, but one Starship even has Wherever You Go, There You Are on it's nameplate -- taken directly from that film, though actually a Zen Buddist ideal.

I didn't know about all those appearances of the Overthruster though. Personally, I don't really rate that film.

back to Star Trek XI....

from sciFi Wire

New Trek Movie Shelved?

Paramount has reportedly shelved a proposed Star Trek prequel film under development by producer Rick Berman, as he told SCI FI Wire last July. The Trek Today Web site and others are reporting that Paramount wanted the idea for the film to be "reworked" as they were "not happy with the direction that the story was headed."

Berman told SCI FI Wire last summer that he was in the early stages of development on a Trek feature film that "would have nothing to do with any of the characters that have ever existed on any of the Star Trek series. It would be an entirely new setting and an entirely new set of characters, and it would take place prior to any of the series, including [UPN's Star Trek:] Enterprise."

But various Web sites, citing anonymous sources at Paramount, suggest that it's back to the drawing board.

The most recent Trek movie, Star Trek: Nemesis, fared poorly at the box office. The only Trek series still in production, Enterprise, has drawn kudos for revitalized storylines this season, but the ratings continue to lag, throwing into question the franchise's fate. Word on whether UPN will pick up a fifth season of Enterprise likely won't come until spring.

I'm not sure about this report: It can't be 'back to the drawing board' for the film, since as far as I read from Rick Berman, it hadn't ever left the drawing board yet. 'Nemesis' didn't do as well as they hoped, but it made money didn't it. Compared to something like 'Alexander' it was a box office smash! And 'Enterprise' would be a top show if it was networked, as it is, it is still one of the best rated shows on UPN. Some of what dvo47p said earlier about the Paramount-UPN-Viacom internal politics and the number of episodes needed for syndication might be true, but they deny that is the case.

Obviously, someone at Paramount doesn't like the film plot, but since it hasn't been revealed, we can't really comment if they are right or not. But Rick Berman said it was set between 'Enterprise' and 'TOS', not before 'Enterprise' as stated here. That was the reason for the Romulan Wars rumour mill.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Highlander II The Original Series (TOS) 29