Manned Space Program

Specfiction

Note before reading: When I refer to the "Manned Space" program I mean Men and Women. I use the term "Manned Space" because this term is used by NASA. The only astronaut that I know personally is a women.

NASA, for the past thirty years, has been afraid of putting forward a workable plan for the man space program. Watching Dan Golden on TV trying to explain why the man space program even exists was a very painful thing to watch. The fundamental problem is how large, multi-year (decade?) programs are funded. Each year NASA has to go back to Congress and get the next installment of their funding. As things change--the amount a particular congressman is getting for his/her state etc.--appropriations wax and wane, and eventually programs fall short of goals and run long on expenditures. Result--little of lasting importance ever gets done.

Another annoying aspect of man space is the inappropriate way in which it is sold, both to congress, and to the American people. Broad visions of exploration and scientific research are the WRONG way to do it. First, most scientists hate man space. As far as they're concerned all this does is take money away from "serious" research, i.e. unmanned missions. Anyone who doubts this only has to read the venom that the late Van Allen had for man space. Second, the greater American public are more than happy watching movies and playing video games. The great public enthusiasm of the 60's is a distant memory. This may be, in part, because America is a much less scientific culture in the 21st century than it was in the 20th century. We like the gadgets, but we know and care little about the science.

Man space will stay bogged down unless and until advocates come up with a viable and attractive business plan that gets both private companies and state governments excited about man space. Once the money starts flowing, the sense-of-wonder will return.

Here's a reason: This planet will become uninhabitible long before the sun comes to the end of its useful life. If humankind is to survive (probably questionable at this point, given our violent proclivities, but still) we have to leave the planet. Period. End of discussion. The only question then becomes, will we allow ourselves to become the victims of our own follies (war, pollution, depleation of natural resources, fundamentalist religion), or will we choose to survive? If we have to translate that for the management types as, "If we don't leave earth, then you won't have any customers left to make you richer," so be it.

If we have to translate that for the management types as, "If we don't leave earth, then you won't have any customers left to make you richer,"...

This not the kind of argument business people "buy" into. Further, the "general public" are as against or indifferent to MS as are the business people. But niether group are as against it as are the scientific community.

I have long been a proponent of Manned Space. But having been a scientist, and having been in business, the consensus of opinion out there is thumbs down. I'm afraid that many of the current initiatives will soon fail as have past initiatives. The simple truth is that there is "very little" support for MS--in the public, and in the scientific community. The question is not whether we should go into space, nor is it to articulate "good reasons" for doing so--there are many. The problem is how to get the "general public" reenergized on human space exploration. If that doesn't happen, manned space won't happen.

On that one, I'm afraid we're going to have to wait until someone else does it -- either another country, or a corporation (or conglomerate of such) -- and has a roaring success for such. This is a common pattern in human history, and the only thing that turns it around is someone managing to pull it off when the rest of the world either just doesn't give a damn or is actively hostile. So... it's going to take a successful manned space mission that also has plenty of "boosterism" from the media. Otherwise ... I really don't see us surviving as a species for as long again as we've been around so far....

There's nothing we can get to that's worth going to, to most people. To make it interesting again, we'd need to be able to travel much farther so there's more chance of finding someplace to go. (It's not just space travel that's like this; a bike rider is much more likely to keep riding if (s)he has a job or shopping opportunities within bike-distance of home; if that stuff is too far away for the bike to be practical, then bike riding is just bike riding for the sake of riding a bike around in circles.)

And that tremendous increase in range would require something like warp drive, wormholes, "Jump" engines, or tetryon mimicking. And those things are apparently impossible, or at least nowhere near being within reach yet if they will ever be real at all.

Without that, it's a journey of centuries to get anywhere, at a cost that's so vast it's practically unimanigable, and that won't interest anybody until there's a desperate, dire need.

On that one, I'm afraid we're going to have to wait until someone else does it -- either another country, or a corporation (or conglomerate of such) -- and has a roaring success for such. This is a common pattern in human history, and the only thing that turns it around is someone managing to pull it off when the rest of the world either just doesn't give a damn or is actively hostile. So... it's going to take a successful manned space mission that also has plenty of "boosterism" from the media. Otherwise ... I really don't see us surviving as a species for as long again as we've been around so far....

I think you're right on this one J.D., what got us to the Moon was competition between the USA the USSR. Maybe another competition will start when China shows some interest in settling on the Moon and then Mars.

Here's a reason: This planet will become uninhabitible long before the sun comes to the end of its useful life. If humankind is to survive (probably questionable at this point, given our violent proclivities, but still) we have to leave the planet. Period. End of discussion. The only question then becomes, will we allow ourselves to become the victims of our own follies (war, pollution, depleation of natural resources, fundamentalist religion), or will we choose to survive? If we have to translate that for the management types as, "If we don't leave earth, then you won't have any customers left to make you richer," so be it.

Littlemiss...I tend to agree with you up to a certain point. I agree that we need explore and colonize as this is what we have done from the very beginning of our existence and is natural for human development...however, without humans "advancing"...we will take the same unresolved issues to the next planet and the same cycle will begin again....there is no way space exploration should be a business proposal....it's our survival.

there is no way space exploration should be a business proposal....it's our survival.

If it's not a business proposal, it won't happen. It's as simple as that. You can have ideology, or you can have reality. Right now it neither--it's rhetoric.