Origins of Humanity - skulls found

Spartan - you just don't understand science and scientists.

All science wants to do is understand the basic laws of the universe. How the universe is put together and how we got here. If the facts proved that God created us as we stand today then scientists would accept that - they would change their minds according to the facts. People of faith don't.

Do you believe that the Sun goes round the Earth or the Earth goes round the Sun?

The reason that we KNOW that the Earth goes round the Sun as opposed to BELIEVING that the Sun goes round the Earth is that the equations (that you take so lightly) point away from the belief, away from faith and towards the truth - and will continue to do so.

It seems odd now that a few hundred years ago that some people, despite the evidence to the contrary still believed the Sun circled the Earth. But, despite the fact that they believed it, that didn't make it true - regardless of what they had been taught or what the church said.

M...how can you assume that I don't understand science and/or it's practicioners? All I am saying is keep an open mind, because there is much more out there.

I understand the dynamics of what you are saying, JD but I don't think you understand what I am trying to state. There in no reason why both religion and science cannot come together. I guess that's what I am saying.

Just a small comment and question to what you are saying above, where is the empirical data for the big bang theory? And for evolution?

Now, we wouldn't be trying to play semantic games again (as in the Creationist Museum thread), would we?

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html

Empirical method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Assuming we're not... that is easy to find. Just for starters, I'll refer you to an older text, one I've referred you to before: Science and Creationism, ed. by Ashley Montagu; which not only has plenty of informative articles, but is chock-full of full references to scientific studies on the various topics connected to this question, so that you can look up as many of these actual studies as you choose.

And the link below is a good place to look for more information:

The Talk.Origins Archive: Evolution FAQs

Evidence for the Big Bang

The Big Bang is not a Myth

There are plenty of other sources in your local library... just pick up any peer-reviewed book on: evolution, palaeontology, geology, mineralogy, stratigraphy, particle physics, cosmology, astrophysics, history of science......

Darn, Spartan,in a court of (human,not divine)law the evidence for anything other than the scientific explanation for what we see around us would be laughed out of court.
For centuries scientist have toiled,nay even risked life and limbs to drive out ignoreance,and better the fate of man.Unfortunately some
(1a) warmongering etc,specimina of humanity will always find a way of making a weapon out of new discoveries,but that still doesn't make science bad,
or diabolical,to use the vernacular....
Ben,as always highly partisan on this one.
Given the state of the world right now,the vidence for a benign God is very poor indeed.
When will religion focus on the spiritual,and not meddle with the secular?

M...how can you assume that I don't understand science and/or it's practicioners?

Because you seem to regard science and scientists as the enemy Spartan, when they are nothing of the sort. You seem to think that scientists are anti-religion when they aren't.

If they discover facts that don't fit with your belief system then that's your problem not theirs.

This is an interesting article, an interesting discovery. However, it really amuses me that every time there is a new find, it is hailed by those who found it as the definitive answer to whatever problem they are working on.

Oh, I wouldn't say EVERY time, just since man has been able to write or draw.

:D

The purpose of life, in part, is constant questioning and discovery of new answers.

Today there was a documentary on the 'life of Toumi', who's skull was found in Chad.

Dated at 7,000,000 years old and he is now regarded as the first bi-ped hominoid.

They did the usual reconstruction of the skull, deduced how Toumi would walk and what he ate.