The $60,000 Woman

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I saw her on GMA yesterday - pretty cool, now she'll be able to do things she couldn't before. We still have a long way to go though - I guess they are working on a way to make a prostetic that has a touch sensation - I definitely think this is a worthwhile endeavor, even at 60,000 a pop.

That's pretty amazing. It always astonishes me how today they're able to just hook up human nerve fibres to electronic equipment.

I can think of a few appendages for my husb......

um

Anyways How cool is that?

I want a bionic arm so that dishes get washed faster and I have more time for doing the important things in life.

Yet another example of science fiction becoming science fact. Slightly worrying though. Shades of the Cybermen here - how much of the central nervous system can you replace with electronics before it starts to affect your emotions and ultimately your humanity? Answers on a postcard.....

Or perhaps we should look at it more positively. Asimov's Bicentennial Man wasn't human at all by physical characteristics - but better than humans in all other respects.

Im confused, and so am I.....:confused:

I see a huge difference between linking muscles to cybernetic limbs, and linking the brain with computers. (I do realise that the brain is just a large muscle though.)

I have my own reservations about linking my brain with a computer, but I've been thinking about this concept for a few years now. Despite all the SF doomsday scenarios - you mention 'Cybermen' - but I can think of many others - Michael Crichton's 'Terminal Man', Neal Stephenson's 'Interface', Larry Niven's 'Saturn's Race' - there are some advantages that are so great that people are still going to queue up to have the operation.

I have absolutely no doubts that this will come soon, and that the people who don't have it will be severely disadvantaged. I really hope that people continue to control the technology, and that it doesn't control us.