Estimated age groups for various books

Thadlerian

Riftsound resident
I'm just wondering which age groups people around here associate with various YA Fantasy novels/series. How young do you think an average reader might be and still be able to fully appreciate each of these books?

- Harry Potter (primarily 1-3, maybe 4)
- Earthsea
- His Dark Materials
- The Hobbit (and LOTR)
- Narnia

I plan to start working on a YA novel, so I need sort of a reference point for which levels of characterization, plot complexity, descriptions, and so on, fits with which ages.

Thadlerian said:
I'm just wondering which age groups people around here associate with various YA Fantasy novels/series. How young do you think an average reader might be and still be able to fully appreciate each of these books?

- Harry Potter (primarily 1-3, maybe 4)
- Earthsea
- His Dark Materials
- The Hobbit (and LOTR)
- Narnia

I plan to start working on a YA novel, so I need sort of a reference point for which levels of characterization, plot complexity, descriptions, and so on, fits with which ages.

In my opinion:

-Harry Potter 1-3 I would say age 9 and up, book 4 I would higher to maybe 11 or 12 but it would depend on the child
-The Hobbit (and LOTR) I would say 13 and up, maybe a younger reader if they were mature
-Narnia I would place at about 8 maybe bc while there is some violence it is not as frightening as the other novels

I hope this helps :)

Harry Potter books are geared toward ages 9 and up (although kids younger than 9 do sometimes read them too)

His Dark Materials, I'm thinking over 12.

The Hobbit and LOTR also about 12 and up. (I do believe Hobbit was written for ages 10 and up, but I haven't met any 10 yr olds that've read it.)

Narnia - 9 and up although kids over 14 or so don't really read it.

Earthsea - 12/14 and up, it's slightly more dark and adult than the others

I think Narnia can be a lot younger based on the simplicity of the language..

BookStop said:
Harry Potter books are geared toward ages 9 and up (although kids younger than 9 do sometimes read them too)

His Dark Materials, I'm thinking over 12.

The Hobbit and LOTR also about 12 and up. (I do believe Hobbit was written for ages 10 and up, but I haven't met any 10 yr olds that've read it.)

Narnia - 9 and up although kids over 14 or so don't really read it.

Earthsea - 12/14 and up, it's slightly more dark and adult than the others
I'm With BookStop on this one. :)

Also, Thadlerian you might check out the guidelines for this Young Adult Forum, there are some good points in there concerning what should or could be contained in a Y A book. Good luck on your quest. :)

http://www.chronicles-network.com/forum/6394-young-adult-forum-guidelines.html

Write your book in the way that best serves the story. Leave it to the publisher and the booksellers to decide precisely what age group it's appropriate for. (Unless you plan to self-publish. In which case, write the book and decide later.) You'll write better if you don't think too much about the market at the beginning. Aiming specifically for a narrow age group like 9-12 probably qualifies as thinking about it too much.

I was thinking more along the lines of the main character's age, simply. Not in relation to market, just what reader age group fits with the style I plan to use, so that I can adjust the main character after it.

Well I think that it all depends as books are written for one group and another group are the ones to read them... for the main characters age either the same age as the reader or a few years older as all kids are interested in what the "big kids" are like :)

Usually the protagonist is about the same age as the reader; exceptions run rampant though, especially when you're talking fantasy books. If you are going to write a book that is very dark, you probably want to make the characters older. If you have an fairy-tale element, you can get away with much younger characters - think Narnia.

carrie221 said:
...or a few years older as all kids are interested in what the "big kids" are like :)
Of course. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks :)

carrie is right ... or at least, I've heard YA publishers and children's librarians say the same thing, that generally speaking children like to read about characters who are a few years older.

Maybe because they think slightly older kids lead more interesting lives.

Back