MacGyver? Slightly O.T.

Hatshepsut

WELCOME HOME, DR. JACKSON
A little bird told me in Another Place, that there is a plan to make a film of MacGyver, and that R.D.A. will play a cameo role in it.

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

This raises the interesting, though highly unlikely, possibility of things coming 'Full Circle' with Michael Shanks playing MacGyver in the film version.

Just a rumour, but something I would enjoy watching. :cool:

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

Well, he's sure to have all the qurky RDA mannerisims down. And will have heard some of the stories about his life from the "insider's" POV. But for any Stargate fan it might take awhile to realign the mind to accepting MS playing a young RDA. That's MHO.

Oh, I don't know. M.S. might have to grow his hair again, and I'd be all in favour of that! :D

Best wishes,
--

Movie

Well... there certainly is enough talk of it on the 'Mac' lists. I understand that there was a comment about it made in "Entertainment Today". RDA was to have a cameo and someone younger was to play Mac.

IMHO: That is jusrt *wrong*! Now, if they wanted to have RDA play Mac and someone else play his son, that *might* work for me, but Richard Anderson will *always* be MacGyver.

Row

Harrison Ford makes a great Indiana Jones, but I was happy to accept Sean Patrick Flannery as his younger self in the series.

Give a new MacGyver a chance.

MS would be a great cast choice even for those who don't appreciate the full scope of the underlying irony :D

And if R.D.A. played a cameo role in the film, it would indicate that whoever played the MacGyver role had his blessing.

Unfortunately, we didn't seem to see many episodes of MacGyver on this side of the pond. I loved the programme and its concept, and I was amazed when I found out, fairly recently, how many series there had been.

Bring it back, I say! :D

Best wishes,
--

Maybe they'll get Corin Nemec to be the new Macgyver.

Sorry Rowan, RDA is just a little too old now.

I can see it now:

The phone rang. Mac put down his copy of 'Modern Maturity', turned off "Diagnosis Murder" and slowly rose to his feet, his back cracking audibly. "Speak up," he yelled into the phone. //Why does everyone mumble these days?// he thought. Running his hand through his gray hair, he accepted the assignment. Checking himself in the mirror, he noted with approval his beige pants and shortsleeved plaid shirt. Putting on his white golf cap, he went to the garage and got into his Lincoln Continental. He drove to his destination at the breakneck speed of 35 miles per hour. Ignoring the honking horns of the drivers swerving around him, he put his favorite tape (Best of The Carpenters), etc.

Comments

#1: I know tha RDA is too old for Mac right now, but it still won't feel right. ;)

#2: {Personal opinion} I can not see Cornic Nemic in this role. Sorry, to me he's just not an 'action/adventure' sort.

Rowan

Re: Comments

Originally posted by Rowan
#2: {Personal opinion} I can not see Cornic Nemic in this role. Sorry, to me he's just not an 'action/adventure' sort.
Did you see CN in The Stand mini-series? He can ride a motorcycle. That's a step in the right direction. Now it's just cycling, racecar driving, light stunt work to go... Physically he's a better choice than MS. That's what I think when I put my director's cap on.

I find the irony in that both MS and CN run the risk of taking the RDA career track the next few years.

Actor

I did, Cyn. He just doesn't do it for me as an A/A actor. Sorry. There are folks who don't enjoy Jeff Goldblum or Bruce Willis and I do. These things happen.

I was never a 'Parker Lewis' fan and although 'The Stand' was a good production, he just didn't trip my trigger than and he doesn't now. It's just the way it is... we all have actors we like. Mr. Nemic just isn't one of my 'switch flippers' and that has nothing to do with Stargate.

Rowan

Why do you think CN is a better choice physically that M.S.? M.S. is much better looking and more muscular.

Based only on 'Meridian' and 'Abyss', CN doesn't seem the action-man type, either, which M.S. definitely is. I suppose they'd get a stunt man in if he had to do more than trip over.

Best wishes,

P.S. Why 'risk' of taking the R.D.A. career track? R.D.A. seems to have been pretty successful, if not in the mega-Oscar-winning way, and certainly seems to have enjoyed what he's been doing to. It's a life I wouldn't mind! :D
--

Actors have often surprised me with what they can do. So far, I've only seen MS play much the same sort of character, so I'm curious to see what else he can do ("Suspicious River" for instance).

And CN -- well, this is the first I've seen of him, so time will tell what he can do.

As for MacGyver -- I'd love to see MS in the role, but have no doubt that if CN were chosen it would be for equally good reasons.

In casting we've come a long way from John Wayne playing Ghengis Kahn :)

personally i wouldn't mind if they had another actor play macgyver as a teen or college age kid but it would seem very strange to see someone else playing the adult macgyver.
re the "action adventure" thing - that's one of the things i loved about macgyver - he WASN"T a muscle bound action man. he was kinda skinny and not in the least macho. remember how he used to shake his hand like it hurt him every time he had to hit someone?
shanilka

A/A

I guess I should have defined 'A/A'. :(

I like 'real life' folks. That's why I like who RDA played Mac [and RDA plays Jack]. It hursts to punch out someone.

Don't ask. Left-overs of a tom-boy childhood.

I'm not talking 'the Terminator' type of hero, but I guess the actor has to trigger the 'Yeah, I can believe that of him' part in my brain. That's why we'll always have folks who see something in one person that another deosn't see.

Viva le difference! :D

Row

Originally posted by Hatshepsut
Why do you think CN is a better choice physically that M.S.? M.S. is much better looking and more muscular.
This is just from the instances they've been on screen in Stargate together. And the SciFi promo. Like gategeek and Rowan said, younger RDA wasn't MS. And I expect there is just the lingering inability to suspend my disbelief after watching Stargate for five years to have MS play RDA.
P.S. Why 'risk' of taking the R.D.A. career track? R.D.A. seems to have been pretty successful, if not in the mega-Oscar-winning way, and certainly seems to have enjoyed what he's been doing to. It's a life I wouldn't mind!
As an acting career it's not much... as making mega money and knowing how to live long and well on it... he's been fortunate. I think that is where MS is more a struggling actor. He could sit back and let the world get over his typecasting in a noteable SF show, but he hasn't done that quite yet.

This are the articles (one,commented on by a fan) but also reported by the Holllywood Reporter in L.A. on Aug. 20th

New Line, Zlotoff rig up deal for 'MacGyver' film
August 26, 2002 - The Hollywood Reporter
"MacGyver," the late-1980s television series that featured an unsinkable secret agent played by Richard Dean Anderson, has completed a plot for the big screen. (Chris Gardner and Josh Spector)
-----------------------------------------------
MacGyver: The Movie
Duct Tape stock rises?

Hollywood Reporter has uncovered an evil plot at New Line cinema to thrust the popular late 80's television show "MacGyver" into the cinematic arena. According to their sources, on Friday series creator Lee Zlotoff closed a reported seven-figure deal with New Line Cinema to write, direct, and produce a feature film based verion of "MacGyver".

In the original series, MacGyver starred Richard Dean-Anderson (Stargate: SG-1) as a resourceful secret agent who used his wits and mechanical know how to create his way out of trouble, often creating things like flamethrowers and hangliders out of every day objects. While as of yet there is no script, all involved seem determined to ace series star Richard Dean-Anderson out of the picture. Sources say that he may be given some sort of cameo role, but that the role of MacGyver will be played by some younger star.

As a fan of the series I find this patentedly offensive and rediculous. Much like the A-Team movie, also being pushed into production with replacement stars, MacGyver was defined by the man playing the lead role. Without Richard Dean-Anderson, why even bother? He's the key, anything else is insulting. Screw that "young, hip, demographic". I'm not old yet and I want Mac, grey hair and all.

I so totally agree that if there ever is going to be a Macgyver movie then I want RDA to play the leadrole. And as for people saying that he's to old, I think that's the lamest excuse I heard in years. I'm no huge fan of Macgyver, but I enjoy watching the reruns from time to time and I can tell that Macgyver is only Macgyver because he's played by RDA and no-one (not even the best actor) will be able to repeat that little piece of acting.

There I had my say (please don't flame me!!)

Dena