Best Gemmell book?

Ravenheart has to be my favourite, especially with that magic climax. Winter Warriors and of course Legend coming in close behind. There are only a small few of his books I would not rate as in my favourite books of all time (The Hawk Queen duology probably being his weakest...but enjoyable nonetheless). Probably why I have acquired all his books in 1st edition hardbacks over the years (much to my wife's horror at the expense)!

I only have a first edition hardback of Ravenheart. It was a gift from my better half and I never read it. I have a 3rd edition paper back which I've read about six times and lent out three times.

I hate braggarts, but I'm about to become one: my first edition is signed and after my other half, the kids and our cats it's my most prized possession!

Legend, Ravenheart, Winter Warriors, Dark Moon and Echoes of the Great Song would be my top 5 in no particular order.

I foolishly sold all my paperback copies and now I worry that when reading a lovely hardback I'll ruin it by a foul sneeze or phlegmy cough!
It is quite interesting seeing such love for Winter Warriors here, (excellent taste everybody); elsewhere it often gets passed over for his more famous classics, Legend, Waylander and the Rigante books.

The King beyond the gate always takes me back. Never thought Legend could be bettered, but I thought DG definitely did with the sequel. Loved Ghost King too, but then I'm into all the Arthurian stuff so it struck a chord with me. Wolf in Shadow too. Read that one in two days, which for me was incredible as I usually take a few weeks to read a book. Mind you, all his books are great. My favourite author by a mile.

Knights of dark reknown .Not your best. My best .That's why David is one of the most popular novelists of the last twenty years. Every fan has their own favourite. That's what this forum is for Talking debating out and out arguments we wouldn't do this if we weren't in some way moved by the words. Now I can only speak for myself but in a rough time in my life I found a place to stay for a while and while that may sound pretentious I really enjoyed my time in Drenai. Thanks for reading my ramblings

I only read the first four novels (chronologically) of Drenai, and I think that from those books the best is the third, Hero in the shadows. Is the culmination of Dakeyra's evolution, and contains a lot of interesting and complex characters.

I only read the first four novels (chronologically) of Drenai, and I think that from those books the best is the third, Hero in the shadows. Is the culmination of Dakeyra's evolution, and contains a lot of interesting and complex characters.

I am currently reading #3(chron order) right now and it is "Waylander". In the second half I start liking it even better than "Legend". I am almost done. It wasn't until I got to the second half of this book that I started to see why DG is so well-liked. I'm loving it. I had heard people say that he's predictable or what you might call formulaic. Nothing Doing! It's all original as can be and highly creative. I think he's improving as a writer after each of these early books.

Personally I think when people call DG formulaic they're more referring to tone. It would be the equivalant of calling Abercrombie formulaic because he writes grimdark. They're like opposite sides of a coin.

For me DG's writing and what people refer to as formulaic are his own moralities shining through. DG believed in the underdog, he believed a single person could make a difference, he believed that good person should stand up and be counted.

Druss would make a good role model, was he perfect? Not really, he had a foul temper and a stubborn streak wider than himself. Overall though, he was a good man.

I think this year I need to re-read some Gemmell. :)

I am currently reading #3(chron order) right now and it is "Waylander". In the second half I start liking it even better than "Legend". I am almost done. It wasn't until I got to the second half of this book that I started to see why DG is so well-liked. I'm loving it. I had heard people say that he's predictable or what you might call formulaic. Nothing Doing! It's all original as can be and highly creative. I think he's improving as a writer after each of these early books.

Glad to see you back again - and did you finish and enjoy it? :)

As for the original thread, I can only repeat what I've said here - from what I've read so far: :)

I loved the Celtic realism in Sword in the Storm, especially the village life and the arguing couple.

I loved the feeling of a realistic ancient Greece in Lion of Macedon.

Legend is simply a fun, engaging read.

But I've just finished Echoes of the Great Song. Viruk - one of the greatest characters in fiction. :)

Glad to see you back again - and did you finish and enjoy it? :)

As for the original thread, I can only repeat what I've said here - from what I've read so far: :)

Yes, Waylander was the best of the first three. Now I know most people like Legend and I did too for what it was, a debut book. It was a smash at that but I can see a big improvement in his writing taking place and the characters are beginning to flesh out in book three. I am taking a break from those for the time being but there's no doubt they will be all finished.