Ripley

Chilly

ok what do u guys think of ripley?
i think it was (her character) a big tep in the world of movies. coz she was like the first woman to star in a move and be the heroine..........do u know wart i mean? :)

she was a really good character, and the way she evolved was good as well, from just trying to survive, to rescuing others to trying to kill the queen, and beyond in Resurrection.
Definitely a landmark for women in sci-fi as well...

I completely agree. A very strong female character in a lead role. A fantastic character that so much can be done with and I couldn't think of an acctress who could portray her better.

Gypsy

I think that without Ripley none of the Alien story works or funtcions as well as they did in the first two. As for 3 and Ressurection I am sorry to say that I own them.

In the original idea for alien by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett the five crew were all male, or at least they were written as if they could be male or female, with little sexual colouring, gender having little importance in the future.

The choice of making Ripley female, and thereby ensuring that the last lone survivor of 'Alien' would be a female must have been influenced by Ridley Scott. Many of his films have strong women characters -- Someone to watch over me, Thelma and Louise, and GI Jane.

Only then was it possible to cast Sigourney Weaver in the role, and IMHO without Ripley being female, and without Weaver in the role, the sequels probably would never have been made at all.

One more thing, among seven Oscar nominations for Aliens Sigourney Weaver got a nod for Ripley. Although she didn't ultimately win an Oscar, it is little recognised that, in the entire history of the Oscars, no actress had ever been nominated before in an action film, a sci-fi movie or horror picture.

I also voted for significant role. Whether by design or coincidence, it is a bit ironic that Ripley eventually becomes as much of an expert on the Aliens as do the supposed experts (i.e. Weyland-Yutani). I also think that she deserved to lead at least one mission in the Alien films, though she comes close in the third film, since she's more qualified to kill the creature than are the prisoners. The writers of each film skillfully developed her maternal instinct, and it's unique that she eventually becomes a "mother" to the enemy. That doesn't happen often in science fiction films, and it somehow made sense for this series.

I too voted for significant role. I thought the character of Ripley was a great achievement for women action heros. The character of Ripley was the first type of action hero that was played by a women. In all of the Alien movies her character development was phenomenal. Sigourney Weaver was the best choice to play Ripley, because she was believable in this role.