What do you think? (Orson Scott Card)

imported_Sandman

confused
What do you think?

I just started reading OSC's work recently but I'm already very impressed with his writing and need someone to talk about his books with. Has anybody else read any? There has got to be somebody.
I've read a few of his shorts and I started the Enders series. I especially enjoyed 'Ender's Shadow'.

If anybody else has read any of his writings and would like to oh, I don't know, talk? None of my friends have read any of his and the books are so good I just wanted to see what someone else thought.

Any takers?

OSC is consistently excellent; he's the only person in the history of the universe to write a novelisation of a film, for example, that's actually worth reading. Irrespective of whether you enjoyed The Abyss (Cameron's last good film), you'll love the book.

Other notable stuff: Maps in a Mirror is probably the best single volume of short stories printed in several ages.

Also worth reading: The Alvin Maker series, Songmaster, The Worthing Chronicles... pretty much everything he's written.

I went to get Maps In a Mirror at the library but they're always out. In fact, the entire OSC section is lacking. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

the Ender books are among my favorites. I've managed to read all of those, but I have yet to read any of his other books.

I first know of Orson Scott Card when I buy the Homecoming books. I totally love his writing, specially the details in his stories. He really caught my attention with this story. :p

Krystal :rain:

Yes, they are, specially I was amazed by the maps, the language etc. The first thing I think this author is awesome. :lol:

Krystal :D

OSC is one of my favorite authors. He has written some Horror genre fiction as well as sci-fi and alternative history.

Some people struggle with his heavy religious undertones, he is devote Mormon. But that's never been a problem for me.

A couple of not so well, but excellent choices include:

Wryms
Lost Boys
Treasure Box

Well worth the read.

I finally caught up with my friends on the Ender series when I bought several of Card's books at a garage sale (I'm very cheap). (still need to read Ender's shadow).

I loved Ender's game when I read it way back in 8th grade, I found it in the school library and head my eyes glued to it for the rest of the day.

Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide proved to be on the same level, although I certainly couldn't finish either in a day.

I started the Homeworld's series but so far find it slightly distasteful (only halfway through part one). I will probably enjoy it by the time I get back to finishing it (not on my priority reading list anymore though).

I actually enjoy not only religious overtones but more direct references, such as the wonderful ending relating to Gloriously Bright in Xenocide.

I very much enjoyed reading Ender's Game, especially the training sequences and the creepy game involving the giant and repeated death :eek: . But the machinations of Ender's siblings also kept me engrossed by the plot, since it amazed me that kids would actually think and behave this way. Definitely a page-turner, since much of the plot depended upon mystery and suspense.

Xenocide

Xenocide is the third of the Starways Congress (Ender) series and does open some fascinating thoughts and ideas:
If you don't know you are a slave are you a free man?
If you don't know you are a slave, should you be freed?

Synopsis
The planet Lusitania is the home for two alien species, Ender, his family, a few thousand human colonists and a deadly virus that is threatening to break out from it's planetry prison.
Starways Congress has despatched the fleet to destroy the virus and the planet. Ender has to draw his quarreling family together, prevent a war, find a solution to hobbling the virus that does not destroy the native Piggies, who rely upon it for their lives, and find a way for Jane, his alter ego computer lover, to survive after she has been turned off, all before the fleet arrives to destroy everything.
If he could release the people of Path half a galaxy away from their Congress devised genetic prison, even while they are plotting to destroy him, then that would be cool too!
----------------------------------------
Not a terribly exciting book for all that and slow to start getting anywhere. But it is thorough, turning all sorts of stones over as it explores the human condition without loosing sight of the end game, making it thoroughly absorbing reading.

Read and enjoyed the Ender series a great deal,mostly for the circumstances in which the young are placed,and allowed to evolve.
Was aware also of the religious element/s to his work in this series.
But to be honest,only focused on it enough to follow the overall story.
With that in mind my faves were Ender's Game and Enders Shadow.
Sci-fi that has a solely religious intent,i would avoid like the Plague.:p