Jacek Dukaj

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Knivesout no more
Yvienn mentioned this Polish SF writer, and I was intrigued. I dug around abit and found, among other things, the good news that his works are being translated into English. Rather than continue to derail another thread, I'm posting what I found here.

Here is a biographical summary:

Jacek Dukaj (born July 30, 1974 in Tarnow, Poland), considered one of the most talented young Polish science fiction writers. He successfuly debuted at the age of 16 with a short story Zlota Galera (Golden Galley). Winner of the Janusz A. Zajdel Award in 2001 for his novel Czarne oceany (Black Oceans), and in 2000 for short story Katedra (The Cathedral). A short animated movie by Tomasz Baginski based on this short story was nominated to Academy Award in 2003. His short stories are currently being translated into English by Michael Kandel, who also translated most books of Stanislaw Lem into English.

And here is his site, which also has downloadable ecerpts in English: http://dukaj.fantastyka.art.pl/index_english.html

Thanks for the info, knivesout. I'm always disappointed when I realize that most of the bookstores I frequent do not have a great amount of books written by authors from other countries. Of course, a great deal of the problem could be getting faithful translations published.

Thanks knivesout for promoting Polish writers :). I was recently a host on a con and we (me and my group) had the luck Jacek Dukaj has arrived as a guest. I was leading a meeting with him - I just asked him some questions when people didn't want to. And I must admit he's very wise man with sense of humour. I like him.
BTW - watch "The Cathedral" - it's really beutiful film!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Book Discussion 3