Spirited Away

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
There have already been comments on this website about this film – all of them positive. Finally, I have found the time to sit down and watch this movie myself.

The story of Chihiro – she and her family are moving home, but on the way, stop off to explore an old area of woodland with a mysterious tunnel. Unwittingly, they stray into the world of the spirits and their adventure begins to unfold.
This animation is the most successful film of all time in its native country – and quite rightly so. Using more traditional methods of animation gives it a very personal touch (there’s absolutely nothing wrong with CGI but it’s nice to see that the other side of animation is alive and doing very well thank you very much). Both the Japanese style of anime and the fact that it is based in Japanese folklore gives it a spectacular wash of colour - mixed with that typical Far Eastern trait of simplicity. This is a film about love – it’s as simple as that.

The winner of the 2003 Oscar for best animated film. Winner of The Golden Bear at Berlin. It’s not often I am driven to state this – but driven I am: This film is a thing of beauty.

Watch it. You won’t regret a single minute of your time.

:)

It does sound intriguing as well. What's especially difficult when renting out and you have to chose a film that you're other half will want to watch as well. This may be worth watching out for next time. :)

Finally watched this yesterday - a truly interesting film. Very bizarre in places, but very smoothly done. Effectively "a Japenese Alice in Wonderland" comes to mind - ie, a young girl in a strange world filled with often very strange characters, trying to find her way back.

The characterisation is very unique, though.

It's a generally well-told story with lots of odd twists and turns, but very imaginatively done, and well done - certainly worth watching.

As an interesting point of note, I noticed John Lasseter on the credits - one of the giants of Pixar in terms of writing, direction, and production. Not sure if that was just voice production on the English dubbed version, though.

I watched this one some time ago...very enjoyable, and lovely to watch.:)

I've heard it described as the modern version of "alice in wonderland." That seems to fit it pretty well I'd say ..... and I too enjoyed the movie.

I said:
As an interesting point of note, I noticed John Lasseter on the credits - one of the giants of Pixar in terms of writing, direction, and production. Not sure if that was just voice production on the English dubbed version, though.
The film is wholly a product of Studio Ghibli, Japan. Disney/Pixar people were only involved in supervising the voice work for the English language version of the film.
SA is one of many awesome animation films by Hayao Miyazaki. Look out also for My neighbor Tortoro, Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.

I am looking forward to his last magnum opus...Howl's Moving Castle.

In my opinion (humble at best) Nausicaa is one of the best Japanimation films ever made.

One of the best aspects of Miyazaki's films is that there is no unnecessary hand-holding or talking down to the audience, even in the films geared towards youngsters. Lessons are taught without ever getting preachy and never at the cost of telling an interesting story.

Disney's Spirited Away DVD also contains a small featurette on the making of the film, which gives an insight into the working style of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. While not as insightful as I should have liked, it's still a nice look at this kind-eyed unassuming gentleman who also happens to be a master of his craft.

I enjoyed Spirited Away.
I like the fact it was based on Folk Lore.
Very surreal though.

If you liked it try out Princess Mononoke, also by the amazing Studio Ghibli.
It's more adult themed though.

I love all of Hayao Myazaki's works that I have seen

Nausicaa
My neighbor totoro
grave of the fireflys (incredibly sad)
princess mononoke
spirited away
and recently howl's moving castle.
beautiful , i believe he is a genius

and yes spirited away is amongst my favorites

Ah... most excellent movie!!!! Kids ask me all the time if they can see 'mommy daddy turn to pigs'. I know exactly what they're talking about. It's a family favorite here. :)

It's great! I agree, that you can watch it for thousand times and don't get tired of it.

one of my favorites too.

Princess Mononoke is alike, yes, but the story is much more deeper. It's like crouching spider, it comes to you slowly. Even when you have watched the movie the main idea is still bothering your mind and reshaping.

I loved this one. I went and saw it in the theaters when it came out. I wish I could see it again on the big screen. :)

The part where the group of characters is travelling on the flooded railway line, passing stations, I could watch many times.

It's almost like reading a book. It takes you somewhere.

Yeah, Miyazaki is a 'genius' - I really really enjoy his films. I await Howls...
Caught 'Princess Mononoke' last year - missing too much great stuff...
Spirited Away is one of my favourites and in no way would I want to watch it 'dubbed' over - argh... Same goes for Ninja Scroll and many other foreign (not just Japanese) movies. I have to watch them in their original format. Or I feel it gets ruined... "The Boy Who Saw The Wind" another great one... And every one of Naruto, so far... All of 'Hikaru no Go'... All of 'Ruruni Kenshin' (forgive my poor spelling). 'GITS'... 'Hajime no Ippo' lol ... And I still barely speak a word of Nihon!

I had a marvellous Christmas day. In the morning, while we were opening the Christmas presents, so not paying an enormous amount of attention, the Disney version of Alice In Wonderland was on the television. With the lights on the tree and the cold and frost outside.
One of the presents I received was the DVD of Spirited Away. So at the end of the day, after all the food and adventures we put Spirited Away on (it was around midnight) and watched it, drowsily, but without falling asleep. It was a symmetric sort of a day.
Magic, mystery, mince pies and a stern animated warning about gluttony. ;)

If you love this then you should definitely check out Nausiccaa Valley of the Wind, it was Miyazaki's first proper feature film except for Castle of Cagliostro, it's amazing and beautiful. There's lots of similarities with Princess Mononoke-the nature theme etc.

Another amazing film thats not Miyazaki but still Studio Ghibli is Grave of fireflies-oh my god i cried so much when i saw this film.
Its not as fantastical as Spirited Away, its based on the 2WW but the storyline is so moving...i only cried more watching Hotel Rwanda.
Definitely one not to miss!

Back