5.02: Darmok

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
Darmok and Jilad on the ocean

Anyone else like the episode Darmok?
When Picard starts recounting Gilgamesh and Enkidu around the campfire really got me interested.

Love it when ancient history ends up in the future.

This is one of The Next Gen episodes that I really hated.

All I kept thinking it while watching was "For gods sake, talk English". Hehe!!!!!!!

It was good in the sense that eventually Picard and 'the other chap' managed to understand each other but it seemed to take forever.

annette :D

oooooooo i loved it.... very well written

I'm with you on this one, Neo...

this ep is a favorite of mine!

Liked the aspect of Picard & the alien struggling to understand each other (without the handy-dandy universal translator doing its perfect job---er, ok I know it would be pretty hard to have a series w/o all the aliens speaking English.)

Also, this ep focused on Picard, which was a strong point. (hehe, might have mentioned once or twice that I think Patrick Stewart is a great actor:rolly2:)

haven't rewatched this ep for awhile. I must have it on tape somewhere, though, must reorganize my ST tapes a bit...

little star :star:

Re: I'm with you on this one, Neo...

Originally posted by little star
this ep is a favorite of mine!

Also, this ep focused on Picard, which was a strong point. (hehe, might have mentioned once or twice that I think Patrick Stewart is a great actor:rolly2:)

little star :star:

LOL... ditto

I think it's an episode you need to watch again to appreciate it.

The first time round I hated it. I felt that the universal translator should still work, that was it's job. Also some problems with a race talking in metaphors, how do they teach their young to talk.

When I saw it again, I realised it was a clever episode.

i did enjoy this episode, it was very cleverly done, even if the invisible creature feature was a bit lame ;)

yer.. reminded me of the Kirk type effects in TOS

My sister and I thought this episode was a great lesson in patience, character, and how easy it is sometimes to misinterpret other cultures.

My sister actually used this one in her sophomore creative writing class she teaches in college.

Holy thread resurrection, for which I apologise, but . . .

This'll only mean something to those who know about the English Premier League, but it's really 'bugg'ing me! Every time I've heard commentary on an Arsenal game recently and the commentator says the name 'Xhaka' my brain immediately says 'when the walls fell'. Every. Single. Time. Gaaaaagh! :mad: :ninja:

This was one of my favorite episodes, not least because it's one of the most memorable for me. I'm not sure which way the causality goes, there.

I'm afraid I would have exactly the same problem, Bugg, if I ever heard that. Those lines come back to me at the strangest times. :D

f4bfcc01a1c0b3a3ea3eef77ca95707b.jpg

The only thing that bothered me about it was Troi's explanation. The Universal Translator translated the words, but not the context, which caused the communication problem. However, when the Federation encountered species where the UT didn't work for one reason or another they employed telepaths like Betazoids or Vulcans to bridge the gap. A telepath linking with a Tamaran could grasp the context of a given message because they had joined their minds together. If Spock could mind-meld and understand the Horta (silicon-based throw-rug from Devil in the Dark) and a homicidal tin can (the Nomad probe) surely a Vulcan (or another telepath) could reconcile a simple folk tale being referenced as a metaphor.
That being said, I still thought it was an entertaining episode.

Back