4.09: Scorched Earth

archiver

MythingLink

From Showtime:
SG-1 find themselves caught between two civilizations attempting to colonize the same planet.

=====

I always hated the term 'Scorched Earth'. Really conjures up all sorts of horrible visions.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink
The Woolfden: http://www.woolfden.net

SGPflughaupt

I have one nitpick about this episode. The 2nd race was transforming the world into a sulfer dioxide atmosphere but they stated that they too needed a large ozone layer. I do know a lot about atmospherics but heres how I understand ozone creation.
Ozone is create through the interact of the ultraviolet rays with oxygen. The UV breaks the bonds between O2 which allows it to reform as O3 or ozone. If you convert the O2 atmosphere to Sulfer Dioxide then you lessen the amount of O2 present which therefore reduces the amount of ozone in the upper atmosphere.

This seems to be at odds.

MythingLink

Doesn't intense heat also cause the bonding which is why you can smell ozone with a lightning strike? Not that that would make any difference, if there was no oxygen in the air there wouldn't be any ozone. Right?
Anyway I kept wondering why they didn't ask what's his name to just stop the ship earlier so that they could get all the people off of the planet. I'm assuming that they all thought that once the process was begun it couldn't be stopped and started again though.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

MythingLink

Lots of tag scenes for this episode. I wonder if the Stargate and DHD would have stood the terraforming? Wouldn't it be something if they could make a building around the Stargate that conformed to Earth's atmosphere allowing the SGC to begin contact with that new race? A new ally and one the Goa'uld couldn't take over.
Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

MythingLink

Okay here's something really silly. I have sat through Pokemon, The Movie a couple of times benefit of my son. When I first saw what those aliens who were terraforming the planet looked like, my first thought was that it really looked like that 'evil' Pokemon in the movie.
Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

MythingLink

There is some discussion going on elsewhere about Jack and the way he acted in this episode. I'd like to open the discussion up here and see what you all think.
Several people are arguing that Jack acted very unJacklike in Scorched Earth when he went against Hammond's orders and asked Carter to revamp the Naquadah reactor into a bomb in order to destroy the terraforming ship. The comments are that he didn't consider other options first, as he was instructed to do by Hammond and that he was disrespectful of Daniel and Teal'c. Daniel because he didn't give him a chance to look for those other options and Teal'c for not stopping Daniel when he went aboard the ship to talk to Lotan. One of the other comments was that Jack was too quick to push the button that would activate the bomb knowing that Daniel was on the ship and would be killed. Others say that Jack took sides and let his emotions sway his decisions.

Anyone here have any opinions they'd like to share on the above?

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

Elara

Howdy Campers
I've read the same criticism of Jack's behavior. In fact, I'm rather mystified by some of the more strident opinions I've seen.
Was I watching the same episode? I have to wonder!

Gen. Hammond never told Jack he couldn't use force, just that the General couldn't authorize troops or weapons. Jack admitted that he was taking this problem "personally" since they had apparently spent months with the Ekarans (sp?)and felt responsible for their safety. We've seen Jack go a little over board in the past when he's felt a personal responsibility, so his "taking sides" shouldn't have come as a surprise.

As far as his "pushing the button", Teal'c said it best... "Daniel Jackson has made his choice." He knew the risks, thought it was worth the risk, but never asked Jack to hold back if he failed. Jack would never have forgiven himself for "killing" Daniel, but he had to act true to his own sense of responsibility.

BTW, how much am I loving this new, stronger version of Daniel this season? He's truly grown into himself!

Elara

SGPflughaupt

Elara said it better than I could. Jack's actions can be defined in relation to how he felt 'personally' about the Enkarans. With the situation seeming to be a choice of one race or the other he would naturally side with the one he was closer too.

MythingLink

There are several different ways to view what was going on with this episode and with the characters. I'm finding it a little difficult to put into words what I want to say. Bear with me because I'm trying to put my thoughts together as I type.
I didn't find Jack's actions unethical or out of character. I believe he saw the other race as an invader and even after finding out that they were a race who was striving to survive, he decided for the Enkarans because of the circumstances. Both cultures needed the planet in order for their culture to survive. The Enkarans had started to settle the world first and had no other way to find another one. The other culture, it seemed, had the technology to look for another world. If they couldn't because of what Lotan mentioned, then they could have at least waited or stopped their terraforming until the Enkarans could be relocated or another solution was found. Instead they went ahead with it and even killed some of the Enkarans before the SG1 got involved. They put their lives above those of the Enkarans. I think Jack believed that that made them less of the civilized society that they made themselves out to be.

By standing by and doing nothing, he would have been making a statement that the more advanced and powerful cultures deserve to survive over that of other, less advanced cultures. Not to mention condonig what was being done to the Enkarans.

It was a difficult decision and one I don't believe he made lightly and even though personally involved with the Enkarans, he made, to him, the most humane decision he could. I honestly believe he was relieved when Daniel came up with the solution to the problem, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he took a stand - a stand that he believed was right even if it meant the death of one of his team. It's what makes a good leader. All in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

----------
MythingLink

-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

Ooooh, the first one to post!

This episode was really weird to me (Like Maternal Instinct) Those aliens aboard the 'flame' ship reminded me of sea monkeys!
Anyway as always in a Stargate episode everything turned out just fine!

That's not always true Martouf. If you would rewatch some eps, not everything is fine.

i loved this ep!! they got a nice little sam and jack scene in there,lol, when she tells him not to go thru with it etc, and they just looka t each other for a minute..awww!

Attachments

• earth63.jpg
    earth63.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 288