Great fantasy films?

Depends on how narrow we want our definition of fantasy to be. Are we talking the "high fantasy" epic, such as LotR, and other films set in similar worlds? If so, that narrows the range considerably. What about other sorts of fantasy? LMA mentioned The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao -- what about Outward Bound, or Death Takes a Holiday, or On Borrowed Time? These are certainly fantasy -- they're by no means realism, nor can the possibly be included as sf, and all of them would be high on my list of great fantasy films.

Then there are odd ones like The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1929) which is straight from the Arabian Nights -- as is The Thief of Bagdad (either the 1924 Douglas Fairbanks film, which is a delight) or the 1940 film (which is one of the very few times a multiplicity of directors -- including Alexander Korda -- turned out one of the true classics of cinema).

And yes, I'd include most of Harryhausen's films as well. What about Lost Horizon (1937)? I'd have to put that one very high on my list. And Angels in the Outfield or The Bishop's Wife? Both fantasy, but contemporary fantasy. (Or, for that matter, It's a Wonderful Life; what is it, if not fantasy?)

I'd also include La Belle et la bête, as done by Jean Cocteau. You can't get a much more magical (and faithful to genuine fairy-tale) film than that. Miyazaki's Spirited Away is another I'd put very high on the list. Or Curse of the Cat People -- which is not a horror film (as opposed to Cat People, which can fit into that category). It's one of the best examples of the magical world of a child's imagination I've ever seen. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (which is just a lovely film, period), or Bell, Book, and Candle? Harvey? She? (I'm thinking the 1935 version, with Helen Gahaghan.) Fanny and Alexander? Pan's Labyrinth? Portrait of Jennie?

Or how about The Wizard of Oz? (And, yes, I'd include things like Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, and Dark Crystal, too.)

I'm wondering if Jerchar isn't mixing the two? Merlin was the one with Sam Neill (at least, if we're talking about the production that had Rutger Hauer, Martin Short, Helena Bonham Carter, and John Gielgud in it), Excalibur was the John Boorman film with Nigel Terry as Arthur and Nicol Williamson as Merlin (unless Merlin was retitled at some point).

Photographing Fairies is that rare commodity that comes along and stays with us like a cool breeze on a summer's day, and is just as quickly gone to adjust its policies. A seed has been planted and the questions we are left with take us back to a time of innocence, longing and understanding. Is there a place, a clearing, a glen that houses such things? We can only wish...
INTERESTED NOW JD?

Ah, yes... that reminds me: Dreamchild. An odd blending, that, but with a great deal of charm and a lot of magic to it... and it's the only time I've actually seen something approaching Tenniel's illustrations as they are brought to life... You know, if you actually look at those critters, they're both funny, amusing... and scary as hell!

Ben: I've yet to see Photographing Fairies. Every time I've attempted to watch the thing, something has gone haywire. *sigh* It may be like West Side Story, where I had to keep attempting to see it for about 30 years before I actually got to watch more than a snatch or two of the film.... (And yes, I can be very patient.....:rolleyes: )

Well most of the above movies I've seen, and loved!

Dragonheart is one of my favorites, too.

And Time Bandits! I love that movie!

Clash of the Titans scared the crap out of me when I was little. I miss that old school type of animation (claymation?). They should use that and puppets a lot more in movies. Of course, Jason and the Argonauts didn't scare me, but that movie was awesome! I also loved the 13th warrior, but that wasn't really fantasy per se...

And LOTR was a great movie, all of them, but waaaaaaaaay tooo looong....dese3rvingly so, but I can't sit through them like I can Star Wars!

As for the best, I don't know if these are the best fantasy, but I like 'em:

The Warrior and the Sorcoress with David Carradine has always been one of my favs, and Red Sonja.

Does Highlander count as fantasy?

my favorite is Excalibur starring Sam Neil as Merlin.

(from what I have seen of the Sam Neil one ) I prefer Nicol Williamson as Merlin in John Boorman's Excalibur - a great part for him. Williamson underplayed it brilliantly as a wise old fool - always loved the part when he's trying to catch the fish, it slips out his hands and he looses his balance in the water - "remember! There's always something cleverer than yourself! " Much more multi faceted and well played than anyone I've seen since. I like he way he speaks his lines - original. Many other fine Actors in that film, mostly before they became famous - The great Helen Mirren, ever so respected Patrick Stewart, also Gariel Byrne, Liam Neeson in that too among others.

I wasn't interested in watching the Sam Neil one. I can't say which is better because I haven't seen that one. I wasn't too keen on Sam Neil, didnt think the part suited his acting. He's great in something like Jurassic Park, but Merlin?? I did see some clips but the script sounded bad and I didnt like the costume design either. Looked like production value of everything was a bit on the cheap side - I guess I prefered the John Borman's merlin, the costume design was probably a bit cheap for him too, but it didn't look like it was trying to be anything more than earthy and simple, back to mother nature and the loss of the gods "the old ways" and the beginning of Christianity added more to the feel which felt more authenic to me - that but that just my opinion :) - I thought his metal skull-cap was great.

I liked 13th Warrior - but felt like it was lacking in something...though King Arthur was a big disapointment. Even Ray Winstone's superior presence couldn't help that out. Love the subject matter, the angle of a more roman influence background to the story that Excalibur didn't have, the visuals, shame about most of the acting and script. Clive Owen as Arthur? Sack the casting. He's great in Sin City & Closer, I just didnt think he could deliver as Arthur -probably because I was so impressed with Nigel Terry's performance in Excalibur.

300 & Gladiator, The Last Samurai, Braveheart ( actually are those 'historical fiction' ?) anyway I'm sneaking them in cos they are great!

Can Highlander (only the orignal movie all the rest were bad follow ups) be credited as fantasy? Another classic, despite some oddities of various accents contradicting stated nationalites but hey!- its fantasy! :)

LOTR of course. I know - another one saying it, but I couldn't help myself :). I particualry like that it brought the fantasy genre to a wider audience, away from any clichéd preconceptions of mainstream audiences like Conan or Legend , Neverending Story and Labyrinth which are all entertaining and good in their own ways (room for everyone!) . I suspect LOTR (and the rest) has Gladiator to thank for paving the way, both brilliant films...so glad theres not a sequel to Gladiator - yeah I know he's dead, but hollywood has a habbit of screwing up a good story in the pursuit of milking the audience for more money - Highlander 2 & 3 are exhibits A & B

King Kong (Peter Jackson) & Pirates of the Caribbean lot ok for this thread? I'm not a big follower of Harry Potter, but you can't deny they're great entertaining films too.

Time Bandits was great - so many good scenes, - Micheal Palin " - the personal problem... it's coming back!" and John Cleese as Robin Hood " So you're robbers are you? Jolly good. Jolly good indeed! " with the nice touch of the Mona Lisa in their swag bag - the line that always sticks in my head for some reason is: "Mum! Dad! Don't touch it - it's eeevviilll!!"

Sinbad films, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titians - yeah! anything connecting Ray H H is good like that. Dark Crystal is one of my favs too - I hear 'they' are making a sequel.

Ying xiong aka "Hero" is fantastic. Recently voted as one of the "50 films to see before you die" on a TV show here in the UK.

Still need to see Pan's Labyrinth, hear its great.

I guess I had anything with sword in it classed as fantasy! Some probably not really fantasy in the way of LOTR - anyway good thread.

Jez

I miss that old school type of animation (claymation?).

Eeeeep! Dustie, go wash your mouth!:eek:

No, that's stop-motion animation using small figures with armatures, and (if I remember correctly) the maximum you could move anything on them was 1/16th of an inch per frame... usually much, much less. (Claymation is an offshoot of the process, but frankly requires much less detail work in general.)

I don't know if you've ever heard Ray Harryhausen telling the story of animating the hydra sequence from Jason and the Argonauts, but it's no wonder the man went bald.... Having to keep track of which head he moved what way from frame to frame, especially when he was constantly being interrupted by the telephone while was setting up a shot.... Talk about the patience of Job!:rolleyes:

fantasy in what way?

i agree they rock, but im not sure if they can be classed as fantasy - they lack the surreal....im open to persuasion tho :D

I guess I had anything with sword in it classed as fantasy! Some probably not really fantasy in the way of LOTR - anyway good thread.

Jez

Uhm... Do you include lightsabers in your definition of swords?.. Not that the Star Wars cycle isn't strongly influenced by fantasy themes.. :)

I did hesitate in putting down SW

Well if you look at the IMDB site they do have Star Wars saga under Fantasy. I would like to say yes - but I see SW as a Space Opera, and in the context of what I think this thread is about - and this site, would have parked it in the SF side of things.

But you're right it is classic hero, old wise man, big dark omen Fantasy stuff dressed up...and it was after all " a long time ago...." - who knows - maybe around our medieval period on earth! :)

Braveheart i think is the best fantasy i have seen.

Sure its historical fiction but thats almost a subgenre of fantasy these days.

300 - actionwise its the best movie i have seen. that slow mo spear feast scene is mindblowing.
The Gladiator
Zatochi
Azumi I,II
Higlander - the first one was very cool.
Hellboy
Blade I,II -
Vampire Hunter D - coolest animation movie ever.
Hero

Clash of the Titans, hands down is my favorite.
Spartacus
Jason and the Argonauts
Gladiator
Any Sinbad movie, I agree with the OP- they were great.
Robin Hood

One that is definitely not on my list? The D&D flick with the Wayans brother.

And it was after all " a long time ago...." - who knows - maybe around our medieval period on earth! :)

I have a few friends who live roleplay Star Wars, and one of them calculated that "a long time ago" is about our 17th century... I think that's what he meant, anyway... :)

Neverending Story is a really great film - I loved it when I was a child, the white dragon was so cute! :)

fantasy in what way?

i agree they rock, but im not sure if they can be classed as fantasy - they lack the surreal....im open to persuasion tho :D

If fantasy is based on the surreal, What Dreams May Come has to be included. I wonder about death a lot, this film really made me think ...... and hope.
I needed to add, I love my wife tremendously, and the thought of only getting to spend a limited number of years with her hurts me, watch the ending of this film and you'll see what hope this film gave me.

Last edited: