Most Shocking

Fay Re Nuff

What is the most shocking thing you have seen/read/heard? I'm watching a documentary on the sex pistols and the comentary is taling about the word 'bollocks' being the most shocking thing of the time. and i was wondering, are you that shcoked by it? or something else?

Fay Re Nuff said:
What is the most shocking thing you have seen/read/heard? I'm watching a documentary on the sex pistols and the comentary is taling about the word 'bollocks' being the most shocking thing of the time. and i was wondering, are you that shcoked by it? or something else?

I was always intensely bother by "mountain oysters"

The BBC's documentary from the 60's about what would happen in the event of a nuclear attack. My understanding is that it was so disturbing, the government banned it for 20 years.

Pursuant to Brian's post, I was always horrified that, to date, America had come within a hair's breadth to initiating nuclear war with the former Soviet Union on no less than three occasions - mostly without the public even having the faintest clue that it was happening (the exception being the Cuban Missle Crisis, of course).

The ending of Blakes 7. Obvioulsy! :) I was in tears - the psycological damage has remained over the years - as you can probably tell!

Steve

P.S. I was about 10 at the time I think - just in case you were wondering!!

On a serious note (after my post above) - for me it was 9/11. I sat here in the UK and could not quite believe my eyes when the towers fell.

Steve

Rushing my 18-month-old daughter to hospital, and there finding she had meningitis. Just having to stand by and watch my daughter fight for her life for the next couple of weeks, was both shocking and a huge eye-opener to me.

I learned that most of what we consider important in life, isn't. It is just self-made rubbish we can, for the most part, do without. It was also the time I began to write. I wanted to record my thoughts and feelings at that time, hopefully for my daughter to read at some point.

Sorry to hear this - as a father of a little girl myself I can (at least in part) understand how this must have felt.

Did your daughter recover? You didn't say.

Yes I'm sorry too SJAB, I have two little boys (3 & 1) and I go into overdrive when one of them has a soaring temperature - god knows how I'd cope with something like that. It's the main worry for parents, the big M. I'm really sorry you and your daughter had to suffer it!

I keep a diary for my boys, have done since I fell pregnant with the first, I get all the family to write in them too so they have snippets from everyone who loves them. I think it's a wonderful thing to do and it will be so weird for them to read when they're older!!!

xx

SteveR said:
Sorry to hear this - as a father of a little girl myself I can (at least in part) understand how this must have felt.

Did your daughter recover? You didn't say.

Sorry, :) Yes she did, she was 17 last month. She was lucky, though her development was delayed, and she had to re-learn how to sit/walk/talk, she is as normal (what ever that means ;) ) as any other teenager :eek:

The whole time had a profound affect on my thinking about life in general.

i never stop being shocked by what people will do to each other in the name of one belief or another when the bottom line is none of us are that different!

I was pretty shocked when Optimus Prime died in trasformers - I loved that show, it was the only time i ever cried over a television program

I was most shocked when Barking voted in the BNP in the recent local elections.

I used to live in Barking (when I was little but grew up in Romford - down the road).

I just think this is sickening.

xx

Quite a few things scare me, such as illness of loved ones, death etc. but as for shock me, it has been ages since anything really has. the last time i was shocked was when i heard my grand mother use the 'f' word! first and only time ever.

I said:
The BBC's documentary from the 60's about what would happen in the event of a nuclear attack. My understanding is that it was so disturbing, the government banned it for 20 years.
Threads

The nuclear war movie. Without a doubt the hardest-punching of its genre.

The Day After

Had my mother running out of the house, gasping for air, looking up at the sky for the missiles.

The most shocking thing for me when I was a little kid (maybe around 5), watching some kinda kiddie series. The host had a "vampire" as guest, said he could be hired and stuff for parties and so on... and right at the end the "vampire" bit the host`s neck...I turned white and got awfully sick in my stomache...I ran down to my grandparent`s flat but couldn`t tell them why I was so upset (I didn`t want to worrie them).

Hearing that I needed IVF.

The whole subject started off as 'in the future' my doctor felt sure I would not require it (7 years later, numerous tests, loads of hospital visits, meeting a insane nurse (no offence to any nurses here) who asked me,' if I knew I had tattoos on my leg', well yeah...

Now I that I know I need to have IVF well ,its just another hurdle, but my husband and I can take it:)

Ach well...:)