Is age important?

Re: Ask your publishing questions here

I had an interesting experience, perhaps paralleling this discussion, last week. I got invited to a lunch at short notice, primarily because all the important people in my company couldn't go. When I got there, I realised that the main reason for the invite was so the company who'd set the lunch up could try to sell their services to us.

The parallel to this discussion is simply that what they do is good - really good. And having spent a lunchtime talking to one of their sales people, I could see all the potential benefits of their service to my company.

But I still sent an email to my CEO that evening, saying "here's what they said, and here's why we should turn them down."

The reality for me was that what they are offering will be great for lots of potential clients. But it's not right for us.

John - is there any valid parallel to the publishing business here?

Cheers,
Patrick.

The reality for me was that what they are offering will be great for lots of potential clients. But it's not right for us.

John - is there any valid parallel to the publishing business here?

Cheers,
Patrick.[/quote]

Yes, Patrick. I've turned down authors as an editor, and as an agent, when I could see they were good but they just didn't work for me. This is the case with every editor I've ever spoken to. An author has to work both personally and professionally. Twenty-odd years ago, as a British editor you'd buy a ready-made fantasy series from the US for £1500 or less and bang it out - genre publishing as product. More recently, we have all spoken about publishing specific authors, not simply chucking books at the trade to see what sticks.

i actually never tried publishing when I was younger for honest fear of not being taken seriously and laughed at for being just a kid. now that I am older, i do not think it matters anyhow; the truth of the matter is that my writing has developed so much over the years, I am glad I did not try and represent myself with such an early (and clearly underdeveloped) style.

i am now seeking publication for some various little things of mine; I feel the time is right. Hint: think of how old Crane was, right around the time he wrote and received publication for The Red Badge of Courage. ;)

Doug

Yes, it entirely depends on the author. Some are damn near fully formed at 16, 18 or whatever. Others blossom at a later stage. It's extremely important that publishers deal with authors as individuals, not as a 'commodity'.

Good luck with publication!

Back