Legend

A food analogy… I love it! I think I enter into an epic fantasy looking for caviar, Wagyu beef, and saffron. I could accept Legend as a simple steak, but it’s more like homemade chicken noodle soup over mashed potatoes for me. It is so far from haute cuisine as can be. But it’s comfortable, it’s heartwarming, it’s filling and then I’m gonna unbutton my jeans, sit on the couch, pop a cold one and fall asleep during the football game.

I did not have to go searching for Gandalf’s comments on the measure of a man, because Druss restated it every time he opened his mouth.

A food analogy… I love it! I think I enter into an epic fantasy looking for caviar, Wagyu beef, and saffron. I could accept Legend as a simple steak, but it’s more like homemade chicken noodle soup over mashed potatoes for me. It is so far from haute cuisine as can be. But it’s comfortable, it’s heartwarming, it’s filling and then I’m gonna unbutton my jeans, sit on the couch, pop a cold one and fall asleep during the football game.

I did not have to go searching for Gandalf’s comments on the measure of a man, because Druss restated it every time he opened his mouth.

I am incapable of talking books without food analogies!

I think for me there's an edge of bleakness that gives a lot of thematic depth and elevates the book. Legend is just one man after another after another confronting incipient violent death. Seeing why each man goes there and what each man is thinking as it comes results in an incredible panorama view on the subject.

I agree that it's home cooking, but for me it's the sort of home cooking executed with all the care and respect for ingredients of the fancy stuff, and that has all the taste even if it's got none of the presentation or fancy complexity. And as a result, for me, just as memorable.