behead that woman!

corin

This is a short question: - I'm currently re-reading the Wheel of Time to get me back up to speed before starting the latest. BUT, it keeps referring to the woman Rand beheaded and I've already forgotten who that was and when. Please help before I have to re-read the books again to stop this bugging me.

On page 347 (American hard copy version) of The Dragon Reborn. It's at the end of the chapter Daughter of the Night about half way down the page. Hope this helps.

*wonders idly if her name is one of those on Rands' list of women who died...
but then he didn't give her time to tell him* :D

Rand never knew her name, things got a little frantic as i recall before he could ask.

Thats the whole point, he didn;t mean to but did. Mat also suffers from this, whilst readinbg the series it reminds me that the Israei army stopped having females in the front line for similiar reasons. Apparently male colleagues would stop over a fallen female rather than a male.....:D

he did mean to kill her she was a dark friend who had tracked him on his journey to the stone of tear but he always feels bad when he kills a woman or a woman is killed because of him thats why he made the list

yea its that woman who wants to share his camp site and he beheads her.

But there was a Gray Man in the group with the woman. Rand didn't notice him until after he had cut off his head. That proves she was with the Shadow and would have tried to kill him.

Yes, the Rand reacted to the situation, but ask yourself, WHY then is he so tortured throughtout the remaining many books about killing women (no macho answers with regards to modern warfare).
He killed the women in an instinctive reaction to a perceived threat that at that particular time he was incapable of fully assessing.

Re: behead that woman! (possible Spoiler)

POSSILE SPOILER

he made the list to harden himself as much as possible it lists women he has killed and women who have died for him and at the top of the list is Moiraine the followed by all the maidens who have died for him

I get a bit sick of the male characters' attitudes towards women in these books. Rand, Mat and Perrin all have this stupid notion that women can't look after themselves, despite all the Aes Sedai/Wise Women/Maidens of the Spear/every other bloody woman that would disagree.

You could understand this attitude from a society where women are disregarded or had no impact, but the world of the WoT is dominated more by women than by men - you see this in virtually all the cultures you come across (including the Two Rivers).

'Course, Mat's not fussed about putting an Aes Sedai over her knee and spanking her for ten minutes or so. What the hell's all that about?

Well I think he just discribing the way they think a woman needs a man to protect her but they find out on more than one occasion that they don't and in fact a man may need a woman for protection.

Jason_Taverner said:
POSSILE SPOILER

he made the list to harden himself as much as possible it lists women he has killed and women who have died for him and at the top of the list is Moiraine the followed by all the maidens who have died for him
This is probably the one thing that makes the most sense. Remember also that they come from a small village which seemed to be big on paternity and all that jazz, so the character's thoughts towards women (whilst not completely understandable in our times) reflects the context from which they come from, not the context from which we or Jordan come from.

Foxtale said:
This is probably the one thing that makes the most sense. Remember also that they come from a small village which seemed to be big on paternity and all that jazz, so the character's thoughts towards women (whilst not completely understandable in our times) reflects the context from which they come from, not the context from which we or Jordan come from.

It's not 14th century England, although Jordan seems to think it is, sometimes. Women rule the world in the WoT. It's seen on every level of almost every culture he writes about.

Even the Two Rivers has a maternal heirarchy. It has its Wisdoms and its women's circle, or whatever it's called. The woman make all the decisions - the men do the work, but they're not in charge. Even the mayor is subordinate to the women's circle, iirc. So I find Mat having the balls to put an Aes Sedai over his knee and spank her for ten minutes really unlikely.

Last edited:
I got the feeling throughout the whole series that Jordan was trying to point out both men and women feeling the other sex needing to be protected guided etc. I think to call out the males for being over-protective of females is irresponsible. The females are just as sexist and misogynistic as any man Ive ever met.

I think its a strange representation of people, with all these thoughts of one sex being weaker constantly throughout the series but as a running joke (I guess thats what Id call it) its kind of interesting. Kind of.

Mat is your typical tear-away though isn't he? He does things Because no-one else is willing/powerful enough to. Since he has the medallian he has the power, the grudge and the daredevil. I always found Mat one of the more realistic charachters in WoT.