Best spaceship?

SDF 1 -- Robotech hands down.

It's an alien spacecraft that crash landed on earth, with advanced technology surpassing earths current technological level. It has a city inside, called Macross. The city and inhabitants come from an island built up around the original crash site. When the ship tried using it's Fold system (warp or FTL basically) to evade the first attack, it sorta took the island with it by accident into space.
It has two large USS Carrier ships called the Daedalus and Prometheus attached to it's outer fuselage (done after the accidental transport into space also), a host of veritech fighter planes that launch down it's ramp and a very nasty main canon. Oh, and it can change shape.
And i'm almost certain it holds the title on "spaceship that's killed the most alien ships at one time". --what a great final battle. *sighs

I suppose if we are talking about the big ships.

Can any really compare to "Dahak"?

Weber's book called the "Mutineers' Moon" had the premise of the moon actually being an ancient ship used by our ancestors.

I also liked the way that humans can have enhanced strength and endurace, as well as, achieve a 500 year lifespan.

Chimeco said:
SDF 1 -- Robotech hands down.

And i'm almost certain it holds the title on "spaceship that's killed the most alien ships at one time". --what a great final battle. *sighs

you forgot that its the only spaceship that can 'punch' other spaceships

My vote goes to the Millenium Falcon, Even though I like the looks of the Ebon Hawk (Star Wars : KOTOR) better. I also like Thors Hammer :cool: , the Asgard ship on stargate : SG1.

Dan

My vote is for Far Star for fav spaceship. I recently picked that book up again but found I was still to familiar with the story from previous readings. Maybe in another 5 years or so.

Although I would like the gravitic drive capabilities on a more luxurious ship than Far Star.:)

Visually I love the ships from the early pulps and sci-fi covers.:D

Okay, my vote goes to the Omega destroyer from B5. Why? Well, its a flying brick! How cool is that?

For others:

Shadow cruisers
Sharlin warcruiser
White Star
Primus
Vorchan
G'Quan
Hyperion
(see a pattern?)

I said:
No one looked at the Tardis and pooped themselves. People did with the Imperial Destroyer.

:)

Ah but the thing with the tardis was that it WAS inconspicuous. It was still the best, in all practical terms

Some cool ship's mentioned there.

I'm going for the Excalibur from Crusade, pants tv show but a very cool ship.
The gun is top.:cool:

You could pick any ships from B5 though.
The Shadows
Vorlons
That episode when all the other ancient races turn up.
The scale of the ships were awesome. Bigger than star destroyers.:D

i can't say wether the infinite probability drive of HHGTTG will be cool until i see the movie (my imagination sucks when it comes to visualizing stuff in books). my favorite star trek ship was voyager (second; enterprise E).

I find it difficult to visualise the Heart of Gold ship as well. I cant remeber exactly but doesnt it describe it as a white trainer (or sneaker)? i tend to just visualise it as a smooth white ship with no marks or hatches/doors/windows to be seen

I vote for the Planet Express Ship, from my favourite show ever.

I've always been fond of the mothership in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", even though we never really see anything but the outside of it. Even in the director's cut that added some interior shots, Spielberg doesn't really show us anything. Maybe it is the specatuclar entrance it makes that makes me like it so much; I don't know.

Me too.

However, has anyone watched the spaceship made by the Wombles from all the rubbish dumped on Wimbledon Common - awesome!

Then again, I think I am the best SpaceShip ever!!

Last edited:
It's a toss-up between the Millenium Falcon and the Vorlon ships in Babylon 5.

I like the love and care that went into the Falcon. It's like an old car that outdated and quite out of fashion but which manages to somehow do all that is needed of it and more. You don't see much of that sort of love and care anymore with people rushing out and buying new masheens as soon as they hit the markets. It was good therefore, in a SFF series of films to see the Millennium Falcon keep appearing.

The Vorlon ships always remind me of sea creatures and I've always liked their organic, sentient nature somehow. I like the idea of these vast, sentient creatures moving through space. Quite Lovecraftian.

In the words of the great Stan Lee; 'Nuff said!

Poor Starship Enterprise. She hardly gets a mention here, and she, her predecessors, and successors, represent a noble line. Of all the spaceships made popular in film media, she is certainly the most instantly recognizable all over the world, even more so than the Millenium Falcon, IMO, because of her unique shape and legacy, and deserves more than a nod here.

The Mother Ship of Close Encounters has always awed me--the damn thing is just so big!

And I, for one, would like to put in a nod to the Discovery. While it is not, perhaps, as visually memorable, the work that went into designing that ship based upon the best scientific and technological knowledge and prediction we had at the time, was truly impressive, and I still find it in many ways an awesome ship.

NOT voting for "best" anything that looks like a bug . . . or a spider.

The Arbitrary from Iain M. Banks' The State of the Art! It's common to say that good ships have a personality, but this one is positively insane. Who wouldn't want a ship that plays practical jokes on its crew, digs up palm trees from Earth below to plant them in the crew compartments, acts as a matchmaker for the crew members, etc.?

"Also, while I'd been away, the ship had sent a request, on a postcard, to the BBC's World Service, asking for "Mr. David Bowie's Space Oddity for the good ship Arbitrary and all who sail in her." It didn't get the request played. The ship thought this was hilarious."