Avoid These Movies At All Costs!

I can't think of too many movies I absolutely hate.

But I loved The Thing. The second one, not the first. Which wasn't actually a remake.

I did hate Kaw, but since its a SyFy original, I doubt anyone else would bother.

I'd have to chime in on the side favoring Carpenter's The Thing. While it pays its hommage to the Howard Hawks film, it is not simply a remake. Carpenter did indeed go back to Campell's original tale and followed a good deal of it more closely, including the intense feeling of paranoia and the eerieness and feeling of isolation. It has its flaws, certainly -- too much reliance on splatter (if not actually gore, which, strictly speaking, is relatively little in the film) effects, but it captures the utter alienness of Campbell's creation very well indeed, to the point of the alien aesthetics of the thing. It also has a lovely score by Ennio Moricone (better known for his scores to Sergio Leone's westerns such as The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly); and one which is actually quite amazing, as it is a "cold" score -- written without having seen any footage of the film....

I wasn't going back to the story as this was a movie thread. I simply don't like the "remake"...actually I hate it (to each their own).

My point was that the 1982 film wasn't a remake. It's okay with me if you don't like it.:D

Have to hurry with this post to get rid of the sign of the Beast (666).

I quite liked A.I. even though it was kinda cliche'd and basically an SF version of pinocchio.

But really, really bad films i could go much worse.

Dark Angel (My god what trash!)

Sunrise (Effects were good, story nearly sent me to sleep!)

Any of the Escape from series (come on Kurt, you know your just mimicking mad max here. :rolleyes:)

There are two films that I consider to be the epitome of all that's horrible in Hollywood. That is, without taking into account the Uwe Boll disasters on tape.

The first such film that I find unwatchable is Son of the Mask. It has no redeeming qualities, no real humor in it, no nothing that could warrant its existence. Keep away from this...keep far far FAR away from this.
The second film is Cursed. And what a fitting name it is for something so ville. It is a werewolf flick with no scares, no interesting designs and just a really really bad storyline. If Ginger Snaps and Dog Soldiers wouldn't have existed, this would've been the film that finally broke my faith in werewolf films.

I didn't mind Cursed so much CyBeR, although I saw it way after its original release and pretty much new it wasn't actually a 'horror' flick so to speak. It was an average story that attempted to pass itself of ass a horror ( with a little (very) light humour thrown in), a bit like the Frighteners (although I really like that film!)).

Horror/Comedy, Comedy/Horror, is there such a thing? Comedy/Horror must be Shaun of the Dead. I laughed my socks off with that one (especially the scene where they're battering the zombie landlord to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now :D Horror/Comedy... Dog Soldiers, the guys are very much squaddies in the way they act and the utter rubbish that tends to be talked about when you're on patrol.

Getting back to the subject in hand, Dragon Wars was a film I thought would be a good but turned out to be really disapointing (IMO).:(

The worst film that I have seen in a very long time was the recently released (DVD) Princess of Mars... terrible acting, rubber masks. Thank goodness for fast forward, chapter skip and stop buttons (relief is just a pushbutton away).

Enjoy!

Oh, I forgot! Ator the Fighting Eagle I remember bad acting and a giant rubber spider.

Horror/Comedy, Comedy/Horror, is there such a thing? Comedy/Horror must be Shaun of the Dead. I laughed my socks off with that one (especially the scene where they're battering the zombie landlord to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now :D Horror/Comedy... Dog Soldiers, the guys are very much squaddies in the way they act and the utter rubbish that tends to be talked about when you're on patrol.

"Comedy/Horror" will most likely fall under "Unintentional Comedy" most of the time.
I really liked "Dog Soldiers". It was fair with most things about the genre. No CGI, no crap curses and, for a change, it's not about one of the main characters turning.

The Keep and Wheels Of Terror

Both great novels , with lousy conversions to celluloid

Actually, I'd say The Keep was a fair-to-middlin' film... until about the last 20-30 minutes, at which time it went into some weird sort of dimensional warp where I'm not sure Cthulhu could tell you what the devil was going on.....

Actually, I'd say The Keep was a fair-to-middlin' film... until about the last 20-30 minutes, at which time it went into some weird sort of dimensional warp where I'm not sure Cthulhu could tell you what the devil was going on.....

I feel the same about this one. The score by Tangerine Dream was appropriately creepy. Acting by Ian McKellen and Jurgen Prochnow was as good as Scott Glenn's was indifferent. I admit I haven't read the book, but the premise and the sets were intriguing.

Duplicity. Big stars - Clive Owen and Julia Roberts. It's supposed to be clever and funny, turned out downright boring and the dialogue just dumb.

Whoever said Event Horizon way back when - I heartily concur! ARGH. And I'll add Van Helsing to that. I generally try to avoid bad movies, but I got stuck seeing those two, and if I hand't been with other people I'd have walked out, life's too short.

And to whomever said anything with Woody Harrelson in it was an automatic miss - yer wrong, WRONG I say!:rolleyes:

Example: 2009's The Messenger - he's superb in it, and so is the film.

He's also been in the flollowing fine flicks:

No Country For Old Men
Wag The Dog
The Thin Red Line
Welcome To Sarajevo
The People Vs Larry Flynt
A Prairie Home Campanion

And arguably:
Natural Born Killers