Sci-Fi Recommendations - for the unenlightened

Tully Zetford's Ryder Hook series. 4 in English, a couple more in German.
Out of print but available from many used sci-fi book dealers online.

Laurence James' Simon Rack series, 5 books in all, same story re; availability as the Hook novels.

Both series set far in the future. Action/adventure orientated. Both series written third person past tense.

Cheers: Jaq.

Wow, what a thread...

I'd have to go with:

Helliconia - Brian Aldiss
A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr
Books One and Two of the Cornelius Chronicles - Michael Moorcock
The Dragon in the Sea - Frank Herbert
The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World - Harlan Ellison
Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
Perdidio Street Station - China Miéville

Apologies as some of these have already made an appearance, but these are the works I'd give the unbeliever...

Can anyone recommend any good SF anthologies with newer SF stories and authors ?

Something like Mammoth but focused on more newer SF. There must some good ones. I saw one called New Science Fiction something focused on the last 20 years i think.

There are some great recommendations in this thread. I'll never get through them all;)

My recommendations are pretty basic, but if someone asked me where to start with scifi, this is where I'd send them...

Lois McMaster Bujold
The whole Vorkosigan series - very richly-developed, human chacters

Larry Niven
Ringworld - what can I say? It's a classic!

Roger Zelazny
The first Amber series - one of the most original things I ever read

What would other new SF would you say most resembles the style of Reynolds? I am surfing around on Amazon, reading reviews, but I get more confused than enlightened.
I am looking for NEW scientifically visionary stuff and in my basket I have so far:
infoquake - David Louis Edelman
The Temporal void - Peter F. Hamilton

Am I likely to be disappointed?

What would other new SF would you say most resembles the style of Reynolds? I am surfing around on Amazon, reading reviews, but I get more confused than enlightened.
I am looking for NEW scientifically visionary stuff and in my basket I have so far:
infoquake - David Louis Edelman
The Temporal void - Peter F. Hamilton

Am I likely to be disappointed?

Brian Stableford is similar. He too are very science orinted space opera,hard sf. A fan site of his even correctly says that he is for biology sf what Reylnolds is for physics.

There are many rated hard sf authors of old and new.

What other new SF would you say most resembles the style of Reynolds?

Nymne, might also be worth checking out Gary Gibson's Stealing Light, which has a very Al Reynolds feel in many ways.

What would other new SF would you say most resembles the style of Reynolds? ?

How about Chris Roberson?
His stuff looks similar
dnslg.jpg

I am currently reading the novel adaption of Chronicles of Riddick by Alan Dean Foster. If you enjoyed the film, the novel will be a real treat. There are changes, particularly more depth to Riddicks character.

I can only assume Foster adapted the original script rather than what was finally committed to film

I am currently reading the novel adaption of Chronicles of Riddick by Alan Dean Foster. If you enjoyed the film, the novel will be a real treat. There are changes, particularly more depth to Riddicks character.

I can only assume Foster adapted the original script rather than what was finally committed to film

He did a pretty good job on the Alien trilogy too,as well as John Carpenter's The Thing

Has anyone read Jon Courtenay-Grimwood's The Arabesk Trilogy ?

I found in the library a huge,heavy omnibus for the series that i thought to use to try this author.

I couldnt do anything but get it. Genre crossing of mystery,sf,North Africa,Alternate history etc

My favorites are
1. Speaker for the Dead, Orson Scott Card
2. Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov
3. Anvil of Stars (sequel to The Forge of God), Greg Bear