Science Fiction Horror Novels and Stories

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
The books and stories where the protagonists don't run into warm and fuzzy things but rather , things that are, dark nasty, horrifying and bleak that, they may or may not end up prevailing against.:)

Donovan's Brain by Curt Siodmak. In this book Dr Patrick Cory tries and fails to save the life of a very wealthy and malevolent man named W H Donovan who was mortally injured in a plane crash . Dr Cory removed the brain and put it in a tank and kept it alive along Donovan's mind. The brain freed of the body starts to develop mental power in particular , Donovan finds he can take over the body of Dr Corey to do his bidding. It's pretty chilling stuff.

Killer a 1985 science fiction novel written by David Drake and Karl Edward Wagner . Aliens illegally transporting a deadly super intelligent predatory creature known as Phile release it on Earth in Rome the 3ed century. It a creature so dangerous nothing on earth can stand against it. It uses any life it can find for hist for it young. Now the alien bounty hunter disguised as human must track it down and kill it before it establishes itself and subsumes the planet.

The Great White Space by Basil Copper This one is in the vein of Lovecraft but it belongs more in the realm of Sconce fiction . An ill-fated expedition to City unknown where an alien horrors from an unknown dimension await.

I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

Sand Kings by George R R Martin

The Vaults of Yoh- Vombus by Clark Ashton Smith

At The Mountains of Madness by H P Lovecraft

Baylor, is the Sand Kings story the same one that was on the newer Outer Limits show? I loved the episode, although I did find the ending quite frightening. I suppose that was the point. I may need to look out for that.

I Have No Mouth has been on my tbr pile forever. This year, I’ll read it.

Baylor, is the Sand Kings story the same one that was on the newer Outer Limits show? I loved the episode, although I did find the ending quite frightening. I suppose that was the point. I may need to look out for that.
Yes , it was adapted for the New Outer Limits. It differers from the story.

I Have No Mouth has been on my tbr pile forever. This year, I’ll read it.
It's one of his best stories.:)

"The Monster Maker" by W.C. Morrow. I read it in Horror class in high school and fell in love with it. Very Shelley-esque.
"The Streets of Ashkelon" by Harry Harrison features an atheist hero and the tragic death of a priest, quite scary.
"Shipshape Home" by Richard Matheson could be considered a sci-fi horror as well. It's quite bleak and unnerving.
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson features vampires who became such due to something scientifically understood.
"The Small World of Lewis Stillman/Small World/The Underdweller" by William F. Nolan is a story that needs to be read.

Those are my favorites.

"The Monster Maker" by W.C. Morrow. I read it in Horror class in high school and fell in love with it. Very Shelley-esque.
Good choice. If you haven't read Morrow's "His Unconquerable Enemy" you might want to seek it out. I found it a very uncomfortable read. Mostly in a good way.
"Shipshape Home" by Richard Matheson could be considered a sci-fi horror as well. It's quite bleak and unnerving.
Another good choice. I read this for the first time just a month or so ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I feel like this subject has come up before, but I'll play along anyway. Short stories that come to mind are,
A. E. Van Vogt: "Black Destroyer"; "Asylum"
Michael Shea: "The Autopsy"
Octavia Butler: "Bloodchild"
Michael Blumlein: "The Brains of Rats"; "Tissue Ablation and Regeneration: A Case Study"
Charles Stross: "A Colder War"
H. P. Lovecraft: "The Colour Out of Space"
Alfred Bester: "Fondly Fahrenheit"
Avram Davidson: "The House the Blakeneys Built"; "Now Let Us Sleep"
David Drake: "The Hunting Ground"
Jerome Bixby: "It's a Good Life"
James Tiptree Jr.: "The Screwfly Solution"; "The Last Flight of Dr. Ain"
C. M. Kornbluth: "The Little Black Bag"; "The Mindworm"
Donald Wollheim: "Mimic"
C. L. Moore & Henry Kuttner: "Mimsy Were the Borogoves"; "Vintage Season"
C. L. Moore: "Shambleau"
Stephen King: "The Mist"
George R. R. Martin: "Nightfliers"; "Sandkings"
Robert Silverberg: "Passengers"
Harlan Ellison: "The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World"
Geoffrey Landis" The Singular Habits of Wasps"
Ray Bradbury: "There Shall Come Soft Rains"
John W. Campbell Jr.: "Who Goes There?"
Bob Leman: "Window"

"The Ruum" by Arthur Porges
"The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury
"A Toy for Juliette" by Robert Bloch (prequel to Ellison's story mentioned above)

The Fly by George Langelaan
Leiningin Versus The Ants by Carl Stephenson
The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney
The Puppet Masters By Robert A Heinlein
The Earth Has Been Found by D F Jones
The Tommy Knockers by Stephen King
The Jaunt by Stephen King
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndam

Last edited:

Back