Select Word, Sentence, Paragraph

Wayne Mack

I just run into this short cut for selecting text. In a web browser, double clicking the left mouse button will select a word of text. triple clicking will select the whole paragraph. In the Libre Office Writer word processor, double clicking will select a word, triple clicking will select a sentence, and quadruple clicking will select a paragraph. In Libre Office Calc (Excel clone), double clicking selects a word and triple clicking selects a paragraph.

Paragraph seems to mean text ending in a carriage return.

This applies to the Windows operating system.

On a browser if you want to select a section of text, apart from the left-click hold and drag trick, you can click just before the first letter of the text, hold down the shift key and click just after the last letter of the text you want. Still holding the shift key you can press the right arrow to increase the selection or left arrow to decrease it.

This is on a Linux PC with a keyboard, but I'm pretty sure it works with Windows. It might depend on the browser though, although I've tested it on a Chromium based browser and Firefox

:)

And Ctrl+Shift+arrow key will move the highlighting along in various directions. I usually prefer a keyboard approach because then I don't have to take my fingers away from the keyboard and can keep my eyes on the text.

I'm guessing it works the same for Macintosh. And we probably got it all from Xerox or DEC or Sun.

On a browser if you want to select a section of text, apart from the left-click hold and drag trick, you can click just before the first letter of the text, hold down the shift key and click just after the last letter of the text you want. Still holding the shift key you can press the right arrow to increase the selection or left arrow to decrease it.

This is on a Linux PC with a keyboard, but I'm pretty sure it works with Windows. It might depend on the browser though, although I've tested it on a Chromium based browser and Firefox

:)
I confirmed this works the same way on Windows under the Chrome browser as well as in Libre Office Writer word processor. I knew about the shift-click selection, but not about the left and right arrow keys. This will help me a lot, because I find myself selecting blocks of text and almost getting the end character I want. Being able to go forward or backward a character or two is a good trick to know.