Is there ever a case for not editing?

The more I write, the rougher my first drafts are and the more I rely on editing to make them better (in some cases, coherent). I think this is a matter of confidence, although it can lead to some odd problems. When I was editing God Emperor of Didcot before sending it to the publisher, I was surprised to find a blank space with the words "Fight scene here, Smith wins" which had to be filled.
I read a history book, printed by a serious academic publisher, that was clearly rushed to completion since there were a few places with brief notes just like this (e.g. King So-and-So --- may have been son of X--- built some monasteries --- married a Byzantine princess.--- avoided war with Seljuks) which the author forgot to convert into complete sentences.

Jack Kerouac encouraged writing spontaneously and not editing. And he supposedly edited his writings to death in private.

The first writing technique I encountered, and really played with during my craft developmental years, was this spontaneous method. If focused only on writing from the hip, a creative process may be induced wherein spontaneity prevents the possibility of insecurity or (in theory) mistake. You're doing without having time to reflect on odds of success.

I edit my fiction and poetry, now, for what it is worth. Unless it is too experimental to benefit, or too pristine. A typo's a typo.

If there's one thing Kerouac's On the Road shows us, it's that there is never a case for not editing.

I haven't read On the Road: the Original Scroll to compare it to the version originally published. It has been a long time since I read On the Road (I was in high school), so I don't remember much about it now.

I wanted to say associates of Kerouac claimed he was editing constantly, so it isn't fair to use his works to justify the debunking of his method. I can't say that if the Original Scroll is substantially worse than the official version, because Original Scroll was edited far less than the official version.

I like the spontaneous writing technique. Even if it didn't work for Kerouac, maybe it works for others.