What will happen to the series if George dies before completing it?

I have thought for some time now that the greatest shame about ASoIaF is not that it is (obviously) not going to be concluded, but that in all these years GRRM has spent trying to complete these books he could have been writing standalone SF novels and short stories that (a) he would probably have enjoyed writing much more, and (b) would have been better and more satisfying. His SF shorts, such as Song for Lya and With Morning Comes Mistfall, were among the finest SF published in the 70's, and his standalone novels, such as his vampire novel Fevre Dream, were excellent. I mourn the loss of the fiction that could have been much more tbh. He seems to have to auto-hijacked his stellar SF career with an unfinishable fantasy series.

Martin should just wrap things up with a good venereal disease that wipes out all the characters.

73DE3B51-50A5-4464-BF12-91B7AA367CF7.jpeg

Perhaps they could enlist John Norman to finish the series ? ;)

What will happen to the series if George dies before completing it?

Brandon Sanderson.

I suspect Sanderson has deals already under the table for about a half-dozen authors he will take over from if they fail to complete a best selling series.

Brandon Sanderson.

I suspect Sanderson has deals already under the table for about a half-dozen authors he will take over from if they fail to complete a best selling series.

He'd be a good choice.

Last edited:
I can't remember if this has come up on Chrons before, but Apart from Wheel of Time, have there been any best-selling series that haven't been completed because of the author's death?

Geoffrey Chaucer -The Canterbury Tales
Mark Twain- The Mysterious Stranger trilogy
Edgar Rice Burroughs- I’m sure he would’ve returned to Tarzan and John Carter, if he hadn’t passed away.
Frank Herbert - Planned a seventh and final book for the Dune series.

Back