Eric Flint has died

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I noticed today that Eric Flint died yesterday.

I confess I'm not a great admirer of his writing myself but I know some Chronners are. And regardless; RIP.

It's only just over a week ago he was being discussed here in Chronicles - I've dabbled in two or three of his works but not really my thing.

G.N.U for him

All I've read is Rats Bats and Vats and 'tis a shame he died.

I haven't read Flint's own writing but he's still a major name to me. I don't know if they might have gotten done with some other editor anyway or if he was instrumental in pushing for them, but he and Baen got a lot of Laumer, Leinster, Schmitz, and others back into print (and in accessible, affordable mass-market paperbacks as well as other physical and digital formats), so I especially appreciate him for that.

G.N.U for him
?

R.I.J.

Reincarnate In Joy

I have read a lot of the 1632 series. In fact I am approaching the end of the 1636:Mission to the Mughals now and have the next book to start. I am not a fan of writing. As long as it isn't bad, I'm cool. I am more into story and ideas and information.

Before reading the 1632 series I could not have told you who Gustav Adolphus was and consider Kremlin Games to be the best in the series for socio-economic discussion.

I will have to look up how old he was. I wonder what will happen to Baen Books now.

Last edited:
So what sort of stuff did he write?

It seems to be all science fiction or a mixture of SF Nd fantasy.

So much of his stuff is listed as with some other author I cannot say that I have read something that was exclusively by him even though he gets top billing. I don't really concern myself with "the writing" though a lot of readers make a big deal about it.

Sometimes I wonder how much writers try to impress other writers.

Last edited:
I've seen his books around, but i haven't read any.

RIP Eric Flint.

I've mainly come across him as sometimes co-authoring with Weber and sometimes sole author on the Crown of Slaves spin off books from the Honor Harrington series. They were alright but he was a bit too pulpy for my taste. However, as @J-Sun observed, he was a major player within Baen and, I believe, instrumental in setting up the Baen Free Library; an experiment in making current Baen publications free on the premises that it would actually result in more sales of physical books. And, I also believe, the feeling is that it has indeed done so, or at least not reduced sales. And for that approach to publishing I can only praise him (and Baen) for the boldness of their thinking!