Starship Captain from the future ends up in Britain's past

Vladd67

Stake Holder
I was trying to think of the name of the series of books about a Captain from the far future who ends up in the past, he uses his knowledge of engineering to kick start an industrial revolution centuries before it happened.

"Hawk Among the Sparrows by Dean Mclaughlin", originally serialized in ANALOG magazine (ca 1976), is a story about modern Air Force fighter that for some reason finds itself back in England ca WWI. He manages to get fuel for his jet (parafin / kerosene) and impress folks with its performance. They're taken aback by how much fuel a short hop burned.

Pilot does take out a 'Red Baron' type attack-- not with high-tech weaponry, but by flying back and forth through the fleet at high speed and letting the jet wash take care of them. That was the only battle he fought in-- zipping back and forth between the 1917-era planes, his intakes swallowed something and he had to bail out as his plane crashed.

The end of the serialization leaves him alive with future knowledge...

Unfortunately, he was captain of an advanced fighter, not a starship.

That sounds interesting but this was apparently a series of books that had Britain centuries ahead in some forms of tech.

Hi,

There've been a few of these sorts of books. (And they always invent gunpowder for some reason!) But can you remember where in the past he arrived? Britain medieval? Ancient Rome? Does he have to fight a war? Also when did your read it / how old is the book? It all helps.

Cheers, Greg.

I haven't read the book I just saw someone mention it on this forum. I think it was medieval as I believe one of the books had the British with cars against french knights