German Expressionism

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
When I was a youngster, there used to be a showing of old horror movies on TV every Friday night at around midnight. I still remember the show was called Don’t Watch Alone. Luckily, my father was a Horror and Sci-Fi fan so he used to let me sit up with him to watch these movies. He used to joke that he had to let me stay up because it said in the screen not to watch it alone.

The slot was mostly filled with old Universal horror movies (which I still love watching to this day). But, in all honesty, once you get past the first two Frankenstein movies, Dracula and perhaps The Wolf Man and the Mummy, most of the others in this series were more like watching a WWE wrestling match as various combinations of monsters lined up to do battle with each other. Dracula’s Daughter, however, I think is a seriously underrated movie. Then, one night, something different came along. It was a movie called Nosferatu and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Even back then, I could see the very strong story similarities with Dracula (director F.W. Murnau had been refused the rights to film Dracula so simply rewrote the tale as Nosferatu). The story wasn’t what scared me; it was the very striking visual style (including Max Schreck’s portrayal of the vampire). I think this was also probably the first silent movie I can remember watching.

It was many years later before I discovered that Nosferatu had been one of a series of films that came under the collective title of German Expressionism. I’ve been a fan of that particular style ever since. Even today, the legacy of Expressionism can be seen in the work of moviemakers. Tim Burton and David Lynch being notable examples that have been heavily influenced by the style. Not only can Expressionist DNA be seen in the Universal horror pictures but also 1940s Film Noir is another cinematic style that evolved from Expressionism.

The movement itself only existed in its purest form for a short period of time (generally accepted to be 1919-1930). It’s already a hundred years old and there may be movie watchers unfamiliar or even unaware of its existence. So, what is German Expressionist Cinema?

In 1916, foreign movies were banned in Germany. This led to an increase in more home-produced movies within the Second Reich. The genre was already developing before this (from about 1913) but it wasn’t really until around 1919 that Expressionism really came into being – driven as it was by the madness, chaos and hunger caused by the Great War. It was probably inevitable that some German filmmakers would reflect these wounds inflicted on the German population in their work. We see a similar phenomenon happening in post WW2 Italy when movies like Rome: Open City and The Bicycle Thieves heralded the beginnings of Italian Neorealism, or even in Godzilla, the metaphorical nuclear weapon monster reflecting the traumatised post-atomic psyche of the Japanese nation post WW2.

The Allied powers had also banned German movies during the war period and, when it was finally lifted in 1922, Germany unleashed these movies on to an unsuspecting world and quickly became a major creative player in cinema at this time.

Stylistically, Expressionism is very striking. The actors use extreme gestures and exaggerated expressions (nothing unusual in a silent film medium). But, combine this with the carefully crafted use of light and shadow along with sets and props purposely built off-kilter and you get something both memorable and new. Everything from the acting, through lighting to the building of slanted and twisted sets is designed to express the madness and inner turmoil of the human mind. Little wonder then, that horror found a home in this new genre.

And so, on to the first of three movies I’ve decided to revisit.

The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (1919)
A travelling fair comes to town. Amongst the exhibits is Cesare the Somnambulist hosted by one Doctor Caligari. A series of murders suddenly hits the town and, eventually, the finger of suspicion points to the fair. There’s a twist in the plot too. By the end of the movie, we are left asking ourselves who is the true madman here?

The visuals are the real stars here. So slanted and twisted are some of the scenes that it really does feel like you have entered a painting by Bosch or Dali perhaps. The internal scenes are intensely claustrophobic with ceilings narrowing to a point, often giving the actors hardly any room to move. In one scene, as Caligari waits for a clerk to write up his permit, we see the clerk perched on a stool so high, he has to climb down rather than just step off it. Doors are wide at the bottom and narrow at the top, slanted to somewhere near forty-five degrees from the vertical. Windows are the same. Internal walls are painted with strange trails and abstract markings, as if we are entering a twisted imagination of some unknown and unrecognised controller of worlds. It all feels like somebody has taken a camera to a stage play and just let it roll. Perhaps this is how they actually meant it to feel when they filmed it? Cinema still didn’t really know where it was going and maybe it tried to emulate a more ‘credible’ art form.

The plot, by today’s standards, could be seen as somewhat predictable and the twist may even be seen as clichéd. But clichés don’t start that way. They become so through over-use. It may well be that way back then, the story was seen as fresh, exciting and horrific. It’s very easy to judge by holding a movie like this up against the more sophisticated storylines of today’s movies. It has to be remembered that this was cinematic story telling still in its infancy. It had hardly learned to walk and, here it was, trying to run. That is something that should be respected.

Nosferatu (1922)​

About 25 years ago, I went to see a ballet at Edinburgh’s Festival Theatre. It was a performance of Dracula by the Northern Ballet and was superb. During the performance, I noticed a group of people I’d guess to be in their twenties. I presume they were Goths – dressed as they were in black, the women in long skirts with lace, fingerless gloves on their hands. The men in frilly shirts and tight, black jackets. At the end of the performance, they threw roses on to the stage. They obviously enjoyed the performance as much as I did.

I wonder what these people make of Nosferatu? Gone is the suave, aristocratic charm of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. In it’s place, a hideous monster full of blood lust. Where Stoker’s vampire arguably carried an air of sexual tension, this creature was the embodiment of disease and decay. How many roses, I wonder, for Max Schreck’s performance?

As I said earlier, F.W. Murnau was refused the rights to film Dracula so simply re-wrote the story but not by much. The tale pretty much follows the original path with Germany replacing England as the vampire’s ultimate destination. Not much else was changed. Not even the names. The movie is called Nosferatu but Schreck’s character is still called Dracula. There are still present, the Harkers, Van Helsing and Renfield. I’m surprised Murnau got away with it.

By 1922, things have moved on since the birth of Expressionism in cinema. Directors like Murnau have become much more subtle in its application. There are far more exterior shots here than in Caligari and the twisted internal sets have all but disappeared. It is the vampire himself where the traits of Expressionism can be seen. They are present in his narrow body, hideously long, twisted fingers and his excruciatingly thin face with large, hooked nose. The teeth are much more to the front of the mouth and this gives him an appearance reminiscent of some of those recently discovered deep-sea fish with mouths full of fangs.

There is definitely a change of emphasis away from the sophisticated vampire that looks as if he might be on his way to a night at the opera. Shreck’s vampire looks shabby and unclean. When he moves to Bremen, he not only brings with him the plague of vampirism but another malady brought by the rats that follow him there. In some, ways Nosferatu is much less about the romantic notion of love across the ages and more about the spread of disease and how to counter it.

A worthy movie whether you’ve seen Dracula or not.

I love the film and it still gives me chills.
About ten years ago I was on my way to a wedding in Poland when I stopped off in Berlin for a day.
That night there was a live full orchestral showing a newly restored print of Nosferatu.
I very nearly didn't go to the wedding.
In hindsight I'm not sure I made the right choice :unsure:

You should have gone to the screening. Weddings are ten a penny. Nosferatu with an orchestra would be an experience of a lifetime:)

Yes, probably as better event to go to, but the family would have killed me.
On the other hand there is only so much Bison Grass Vodka a person can drink [it might be expensive but it tastes like soap].
I am a great fan of German Expressionist cinema. you can see it's influence much later as well.
I remember reading an interview where Stanley Kubrick said it the Cabinet of Dr Caligari that inspired the lighting of the War room in Dr Strangelove.

Lovely to read your love for The Cabinet of Dr Caligari!

It’s sublime. I’m waiting till I get the right kind of group of students before we tackle it as a piece of immersive theatre. I think my college cohorts would be able to make it outstanding.

I’ve often been surprised at fans of Lynch and Burton who I’ve met who have turned their noses up at my suggestion they watch Caligari.

I’ve been watching Eraserhead lately and trying to decide if there’s a type of genre called Industrial German Expressionism.

It’s sublime. I’m waiting till I get the right kind of group of students before we tackle it as a piece of immersive theatre. I think my college cohorts would be able to make it outstanding.
I’ve never really thought about this before but, now that you mention it, I think it would indeed make a great piece of immersive theatre. I find some of the movements and gestures used in the movie to be almost akin to ballet.:)

The Hands Of Orlac (1924)

Acclaimed pianist Paul Orlac is given a hand transplant after suffering terrible injuries in a train accident. He is blind to the fact that he has been given the hands of a murderer named Vasseur, who has only recently been executed for his crimes.

When the origin of his new hands becomes known to him, he struggles with the notion that these fingers that have committed so many atrocities may drag him into a world of violence and terror. He has become a man aware of the metaphorical blood on his hands and also fearful that they have, perhaps, increased his own capacity for evil. Subsequent strange events do nothing to assuage his fears and only multiply his feelings of terror and complicity.

The traits of expressionism are seen best in the internal scenes of this movie. Whereas, in Caligari, rooms appeared claustrophobic, the opposite is true in Orlac. In one scene, Paul enters his study where his beloved piano is kept. A geometric patterned floor, highlighted by areas of light and shadow, dominates the décor. The room seems cavernous and Paul Orlac appears both small and lost within it. This feeling is amplified when he tries and fails to play the piano and he slumps in his seat, making him seem to shrink within the stark surroundings.

If the word Expressionism didn’t exist and I needed another way to describe this movie, I’d maybe call this one Film Noir Body Horror.

Quite simply a damn fine film.

I think these three movies I've mentioned are a good starting point for anybody wishing to explore the Expressionist genre. There are many others of course, including Metropolis, which, perhaps in its subterranean scenes, comes closest to @Phyrebrat's idea of Industrial German Expressionism:)

Does Metropolis (1927) fit?
It is usually counted a one, but it is towards the end on the generally accepted date range. A lot of the imagery in Metropolis is abstract and stylised.

Back