Dragons that knock you off your feet.

millymollymo

Automaton in disguise
It'sConfusion2021 - aka Eastercon this weekend. Unexpectedly I've been asked to be on a panel The Anatomy of A Dragon. The other panelists are hugely talented. I can't wait to get into the science behind dragons. But it got me wondering what dragon from the collection of genres and mythologies strike you as powerful? It's been a long day, and my brain won't let go of Tiamat who is represented in so many different ways, from The Expanse books to D&D.
FamousDragonsConFusion2021.png

Well, you don't get much more powerful than the primordial chaos of creation! But the more you try to define and rationalise dragons (by AD&D giving Tiamat hit dice etc) the less powerful they become. Increasingly as I get older, I think they work best as dreams and symbols.

I liked Tiamat too and thought the series Dungeons and Dragons quite excellent .:cool:

One that always stuck with me is the Lambton Worm. Perhaps not the most dangerous or powerful of creatures, but memorable more for it's demise as it's life.

Yes, Lambton Worm often gets forgotten. I do wonder how much of that that is 'Well everywhere else has a dragon, we need one too' mentality.
My own theory is that the legend of the red and white dragons fighting at Dinas Emrys is based on adder nookie. The female is reddish-brown, and the male is pale grey, and they can look like they're fighting when they're mating.

I can almost see this, and the bets going between onlookers ;) Instead of cock fighting, adder battles. ... Gotta Catch Them All (sorry!)

The panel in the end, opted for 'Possible but not sensible' though I suspect at least one panellist is secretly planning a Kickstarter to fund a private island for genetic experiments leading to a D&D live action theme park.

In Sussex we have the Knucker Dragon that lives in a pond near Littlehampton. Possibly the least impressive dragon habitation ever.