Who Do You Think is Greater, Robert A Heinlein or Poul Anderson ?

So far , this has been a livelier topic then I had thought it would be albeit is its been more about Heinlein than Anderson.:(

The first Poul Anderson story I ever read was The Star Plunderers . It was definitely an old school space perps type store , but it was alot fun to read to read . ive re read it on two occasions and its lost none of its charm or fun . Its a terrific story . :cool:

My personal experience tells me that there is a good reason why Heinlein takes more focus on this comparison.
It goes without saying that I think some of these comparisons are not fair and this included; though as contemporaries the certainly have some common ground.

The first Poul Anderson I read was After Doomsday.
I was eleven when it was published and maybe twelve when I read it. I bought it because of the space-suited alien with bug-eyes on the end of stalks that hovered around its helmeted head. Wore this one out and recently found a copy of the same date and now have that.

My first Heinlein was Starman Jones
which was published in 1953; however I didn't read it until the 1967 dell edition--once again purchased for the cover. Still have this book

Though read much later--there is no doubt that my influence comes from Heinlein.
I had the book club edition from 1961--I still have it.
I think I read all of the Juvenal fiction he wrote at about that time. I'm certain that it was all heavily edited and possibly his Stranger in a Strange Land might have in part been a knee-jerk reaction to frustration.
However if you want more factual evidence on that read the biography
Rather than continue spreading my miss-information. Have this on my shelf (Well worth the cost if you are a fan.)

Any way the point here is that Heinlein's Juvenile books gave him a young audience to grow up with and I think that that is something missing in Poul Anderson's port folio.

I think I read all the Heinlein's Juvenile editions and a few others well before I read a second Poul Anderson novel.

However, it should be noted that In the mid 1960s I was limited to the school library and every drugstore I could reach on my bicycle. Though, I confess to having ordered a number of books directly from the publisher back then.

Last edited:
"If he were alive today he would be a MAGA nutball".

I think not.

Robert's sinking spell was due to a problem with blood flow to the brain that was corrected by surgery. His last books were similar to his first, which was published posthumously.

I've got 'Pankera' but haven't read it because Ginny didn't want it to be published.

I must say I really enjoyed Heinlein's "Citizen Of The Galaxy", I've listened to it twice as an audio book on You Tube.
It's almost nine hours long but well worth a listen, the reader does an excellent job of all the various characters, makes Baslem The Beggar sound like Sean Connery!

I think Heinlein is more thought provoking than Anderson. Besides Ensign Flandry I hardly remember the names of Anderson's characters.

I recall the stories, Brainwave, Tau Zero, The High Crusade but ideas/philosophies from the characters not so much.

Heinlein said a competent man could do accounts. I now think it should have been mandatory in schools since the 50s. The US should have had a 3-day workweek by the 90s.

Now there will be idiotic crap decades.

Lord of Thousands Suns by Poul Anderson would make a great film .:cool:(y)

Have written this before on another thread, but NESFA Press (New England Science Fiction Association) have published a seven volume collection of Poul Anderson's short stories, they should all be available from Amazon!
Don't know if they're the full set of stories or if there are any more volumes due, but it's a pretty good collection all the same!

Last edited: