(Found) Looking for a sci-fi novel I read 1979 cant remember title or author

Ian K

The sci-fi novel was a small paperback published before 1979 ... from memory the cover was a classic sci-fi cover from the 50's or 60's. The basic plot revolved around a house on earth that was used as an interplanetary train station that allowed interplanetary travellers to stop there before heading onto differnent planets. The "station master" was an old man who had been given longevity and was over a hundred but looking 60 or so. His House looked rundown but its exterior had been treated so it was impervious to aging. As part of the package for him to allow aliens thru he had a room in his house especially designed for his amusement and recreation .. a round room that allowed him to use it a holigraphic room to allow him to generate different environments for him to go hunting in ... much like the Star Trek holographic deck. A younger earthen happens across this older man thru some outstanding bill or something that he inadvertantly discovers the old man is a lot older that he appears. Any help to give me the title would be appreciated.

My very first SF novel, maybe about nine or ten.

P.S. The station master/guardian was well over a hundred years old, he had fought in the Civil War and the book is takes place in the sixties, one of the privileges the aliens granted him was as long as he lived in the house he would never age.

My very first SF novel, maybe about nine or ten.

P.S. The station master/guardian was well over a hundred years old, he had fought in the Civil War and the book is takes place in the sixties, one of the privileges the aliens granted him was as long as he lived in the house he would never age.
once I read your info about the station master being from the civil war and over a hundred it started coming back to me ... thank you!!

Way Station is available as a Kindle edition, as well as "Time Is the Simplest Thing," and other Simak works.

Another book that is a favorite of mine is Lloyd Biggle Jr.'s "All the Colors of Darkness."

Way Station is available as a Kindle edition, as well as "Time Is the Simplest Thing," and other Simak works.

Another book that is a favorite of mine is Lloyd Biggle Jr.'s "All the Colors of Darkness."
Simak and Biggle my two favorites

Back