Brainstorming Maps and Navigational Markers...

-K2-

This morning as I walked our woods, I was reminded of something I came up with when I wrote fantasy based stories (that might be of use to someone here...or not...hehe :confused:). I called them 'Navigational Stones.' In our woods, I passed a large rock beside the trail that coincidentally matched the terrain (hills and gullies) and even had a contrasting line in it that matched the trail's path.

So, in my series, the emperor decided that all pathways and roads in the realm should be marked with NSs. To that end, rocks were sought which matched the pathways and terrain as much as possible, then altered as needed, oriented, and placed accordingly beside the paths. That way there were enduring maps along the trail.

It seems like an inconsequential thing, but IMO it's one of those tiny things you add which helps fill in the story world, making it seem all the more real and easy to envision.

Anywho, what sorts of fictional navigational markers have you used or considered?
(granted, I get most writers like to keep their bits secret till they use them)

K2

Last year I worked on a fantasy story set in a world with no stars or moon, making navigation on the sea much more difficult. So I looked into Polynesian wayfinding techniques that apparently involved keeping detailed records of ocean and wind currents and the migratory paths of birds to map out where various islands were.

I did a novella and for one small part of the journey the MCs had to navigate to a city set in narrow valleys and thick forest sort of like this.
fop7w3oa1gpz.jpg

With visibility so low from ground level, navigation to the city was done through hanging strips of coloured fabric that stood out amongst the foliage and got bigger and more elaborate as you neared. Not the best way of doing things, but I thought it was more interesting than a sign post :)

Far less stunning that @.matthew. Sanctuary Stones - real waymarkers that historically allowed people to claim safety from prosecution on arriving in a new town, generally a mile from the holy building in the town.

I'm using it in a current story soon to be published.