Ladybird books and other childhood series

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
(I was going to put this under Book Hauls but my post turned into a small essay so I decided to give it a thread because I am sure others have similar memories.)
Ladybirds.JPG

Ladybird Books, the Door to a Perfect World

I had just started school. The country was still to an extent in a state of post war flux. We moved a lot so life lacked stability. I knew it was out there though. At age six a door opened at school it was a Ladybird book called “Helping at Home”.

There was this family, mother, father, boy and girl, it was all so bloody perfect. Sixty years on I still admire, maybe even lust a little, for that ruby lipped mother with her constant kindly supervision.
And the Father, pipe smoking and always making, doing or gardening. And the kids always smiling, loving every new experience like little ducks to water.

That was it. My first taste of the world of Ladybird Books, a library shelf full of positive experience. I went there, heck I ran there.

Next there was ladybird book of Garden Flowers, with its magical almost mythological illustrations, by John Leigh-Pemberton as it happens. What a place for a young child to go, those colourful scented gardens with their Greek statuary. I think it set me on the road to becoming an artist, the idea that you could sit with a piece of canvas or paper and actually make places to be. The places I paint now are highly abstracted but those illustrations were the seed.

Later, as 1950’s boys were wont to do, I turned to science “Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries” featuring probably the same two kids, just a little older now, still smiling with joy at every experiment and disovery. Neckties, hair combed and teeth brushed. Bless ‘em.

And so it went on. Kings and Queens, Railways, The story of Furniture, Samuel Pepys, Napoleon, All about Metals, even How to Build a Radio. Everything it seemed was there in those slim little volumes.

In retrospect one can see how they were trying to build a new clean bright Britain after the horrors of the war. A shot of optimism about how things could be, shielding the new generation from the past and pointing it forward.

Recently at a charity shop I bought a box of 150 of them. What a delight that was. Cheap as chips too because it seems these days people value neither books nor nostalgia. And nostalgia there was, in spades.

The range it seems went on to broaden even more, as some titles after my era confirm. Come to Holland, Nuclear power, Working in a Hotel, (which may or may not relate to Holland) and a few that I imagine were less than popular like “Public Services Water Supply” and “The Customs Officer”. Though even those are more interesting than you might expect, that is the ladybird magic.

They are up there with those other nostalgia fests, Observers books and Brooke Bond Tea card albums, anyone remember collecting “Wild flowers” and “Tropical Birds?”
However I am delighted with having snagged this collection and am still learning from them.
Bite sized pieces of education, take one at bedtime and expand your mind regardless of age.

Would I go back to those days of post war positivism? In a flash.

Last edited:
I especially remember Dinosaurs, The Car Makers, and Puss in Boots. A few months ago in a second-hand bookshop I came across The Discontented Pony, which I'd completely forgotten. Just seeing it again on the shelf almost made me cry, and when I reread it, my God, the nostalgia hit! Every word and picture was familiar, as if I'd been brainwashed with it and then made to forget.

Brooke Bond Tea card albums

Ah, that delicious smell of opening the tea packets to find out what cards were inside! The only set I really remember was (again) Dinosaurs. I was big into dinosaurs.

I know my brothers and I had a lot, but the only ones I have clear memories of are the Greek Myth ones. On a whim a year or two ago I had a search on ebay for them, got them both, delivered for £2.50. This thread has reminded me that I probably had Aesops Fables too so I might have a look for them.
Ladybird.jpg

My favourite Ladybird was the Little Red Hen - a lesson in reward and co-operation and with lovely pictures of fresh bread, ideal country village and a pretty hen. I now have hens and know what little savages they can be - and I really suspect that book was one of the reasons I wanted hens.

I somewhere buried deeply have a box of my childhood books with some wonderful illustrations to them. Kittens Three springs to mind (and guess what, I've also got cats - the parents would only let me have budgies at pets while giving me glorious books about cats - go figure). They were proper pictures with lots and lots of perfectly done details. Later generation books everything was fuzzy and had puppies and kittens in dresses - blech.

Kittens Three.jpg

I can remember going down town with my mother (mid-70's) and her buying one of those for me each time I'd been good. I would get to choose the one I liked. Lovely books which got read many, many times. All (or maybe most) of them are up in my attic now - including those famous legends titles.

There was an interesting documentary on BBC 4 on the origins of Ladybird books. It’s well worth a watch and might still be available on BBC iPlayer.

I had a load of these bought for me when I was little. There was a set of history books about great historical figures: I remember being puzzled at how Oliver Cromwell was the hero of his book and Charles I was the hero of his! The pictures really are great. I must have had the dinosaurs one as well, as I read anything connected to them. I'm still quite surprised at how heavy-duty some of the dinosaur books I read back then were.

I had a load of these bought for me when I was little. There was a set of history books about great historical figures: I remember being puzzled at how Oliver Cromwell was the hero of his book and Charles I was the hero of his!
Well that was a good foundation for writing fiction including flawed heroes and sympathetic villains. :)

I had a load of these bought for me when I was little. There was a set of history books about great historical figures: I remember being puzzled at how Oliver Cromwell was the hero of his book and Charles I was the hero of his! The pictures really are great. I must have had the dinosaurs one as well, as I read anything connected to them. I'm still quite surprised at how heavy-duty some of the dinosaur books I read back then were.
Dinosaur obsession - A good sign, apparently :)

Can recommend "The Horrible Historys" and I think they're called "Scary Science" series, both very good and by the same people!