Porous or Buffered Selves?

Extollager

"The positive valence of porosity is fullness; its negative valence is terror. The positive valence of bufferdness is protection; its negative valence is emptiness. Taylor’s thesis is that over the past five hundred years Western culture has moved from a general condition of porosity to a general condition of bufferedness."

I thought this was an interesting topic in itself, and also one of obvious relevance to fantasy, horror, and science fiction. Thoughts?

I've always had trouble with people who do this...
The positive valence of porosity is fullness; its negative valence is terror.

The positive valence of bufferdness is protection; its negative valence is emptiness.
It's like only seeing black and white in everything.
Then I wonder where it comes from and realize that this is from the Man in the Middle the Guy on the Fence.

Naturally he looks one way and sees Terror and the other Emptiness and that's why he's been riding on the fence for so long.

In a way I think he should be seeing terror on both sides and that does relate to Science Fiction Fantasy and Horror that is written these days.

And as to the Protection of being able to upload into the cloud--well, there is a great uncertainty with all of that and then again if there are angels and demons out there that are so frightening then I don't think a little cloud is going to protect us from them.

Honestly the man in the middle on the fence should be in terror with terror to the left; terror to the right; terror in front of him; and terror behind him and he's found himself in his worst nightmare.

Maybe this is why so many readers today resonate with stories about hopelessness.

Honestly though I really hope my cynical statement is way off target because I really don't mean that.
Waffles anyone?

Back