Game of Thrones: 8.06 The Iron Throne

And the Northerners would follow the Stark on the throne..
I think I agree. There was no reason for Sansa to make the North independent, except that it always had been, and that she wanted to be a Queen.
The fact that Drogon turned his grief-induced fury on the Iron Throne instead of Cousin Jon indicated that he understood of the real forces at play and possesses an intelligence I had not suspected.
Also agree. Hadn't thought of that.

They only very small thing that I had a problem with was when Jon walked off to find Dany to complain about the killing of prisoners. He left Grey Worm cutting twenty or so throats, and had a long walk through some streets, then some more streets, then up the steps, where Grey Worm was standing waiting for him at the top. Either Grey Worm is a very fast runner (and fairly slick with the knife too) or Jon went a really long way around.

i don't see why i can't discuss about a show i have watched for 8 seasons. Why bother watching it, if i can't have thoughts about it. Sorry for being a normal human being who isn't constantly thinking about changing the world for the better, but quiet often simply focus on my life, on the things that interest me and the people around me.

My biggest gripe is how they treated Jon in the end. He was clearly no longer the man that made the NW oath so long ago when Robb went south. He might not care about wealth and power, but he was even more than before a family man who in my mind wanted a family. It's why i like to think that last shot was him leaving alongside the wildlings to live with them, instead of staying in castle black with the brothers. That life just doesn't seem enough for him anymore. Especially since all that is left to defend from are grumpkins. Sad thing is, the only reason the NW still exists is to fight against the wildlings now. Cause they don't follow westerosi law. Do you see Jon fighting the wildlings? Maybe there will be peace between them for his lifetime. But that is about the best we can hope for. peace for a couple of generations between wildlings and the north, unless certain more admittedly barbaric customs are changed.

My take on the last scene is that Jon has now taken on the mantle of King Beyond The Wall. A fitting end for his story. And finally Ghost gets a cuddle. Long overdue.

Overall I think it was a satisfying end apart from Bran ending up as King. I do not see that working long-term.

Overall I think it was a satisfying end apart from Bran ending up as King. I do not see that working long-term.
Who better to be king than someone who can "see" the entire past and has no desire for power? Besides, his reign only had to last the few minutes before the final credits rolled.
Bran the Broken had the most successful kingship in the history of the Seven Kingdoms. :D

overall it wasn't a bad ending but suffered, like the rest of this season, with not having long enough screen time to tell the story. still, better ending than Lost.

You could have stuck most of a season in between the ganking and the crowning. How would Yara have reacted to hearing about Theon's death? Brienne and Jaime's? When did Bronn resurface? Did the Dorne-ish folk seek independence?

Was there nearly another war? Who'd have sided with the Unsullied and Dothraki, and where the hell are the Dothraki? How did Daario react when he heard this? How did Gendry react to seeing Arya again?

How did Jon talk his way out of not dying? How did Tyrion? Did Varys' letters matter? What did the Iron Bank think of all that? Who called the council? Did everyone agree quickly?

And on and on and on. Every finished series has scenes that could have happened but its rare, imo, for there to be so many and for them to contain so many scenes vital to the outcome.

I think I agree. There was no reason for Sansa to make the North independent, except that it always had been, and that she wanted to be a Queen.
Also agree. Hadn't thought of that.

They only very small thing that I had a problem with was when Jon walked off to find Dany to complain about the killing of prisoners. He left Grey Worm cutting twenty or so throats, and had a long walk through some streets, then some more streets, then up the steps, where Grey Worm was standing waiting for him at the top. Either Grey Worm is a very fast runner (and fairly slick with the knife too) or Jon went a really long way around.

Hah! Yes. I guess Grey Worm delegated, but even so that was an odd one.

I do not see that working long-term.

Are you saying that because lack of the experience? He has the small council. In the other hand, being the seer of that world, he is going to be very hard to assassinate, or force out with a coup, as he literally can remember those meetings.

In fact, he doesn't need the spies any more as he's already a super spy. The only problem I see is that he doesn't have the leadership experience. It's non-existent.

Depends on who you ask. :p

Yeah, I guess with the lack of the internet, there is going to be people for a very long time that will believe that sort of thing. Even today, we still have those who believe in the Flat Earth theory being true.

Bronn actually got Highgarden! :LOL:

So, it was a bit anti-climatic. But it wasn't bad.

I did read Jon leading the Wildlings back to their home as him going with them; he looked back at the door closing, which spoke to me as he didn't intend to come back. And I think that's fitting, good for him even. I have no problem with him going back to the NW instead of being king -- he was the best version of himself when he was a part of the NW. And he got to reunite with Ghost!

I loved how they showed Drogon's intelligence. Rather than blaming Jon for Dany's death, Drogon understood that it was the fighting over the iron throne that ruined Dany. Drogon melting the throne was a great statement.

While I am dissappointed that Arya didn't try to kill Dany, I understood that Jon had to do what he did, considering what Dany said atop the steps to all her people. Dany said she "liberated" the people of Kings Landing. She didn't liberate them, she killed them all, every single person. Then she followed up by saying she was going to "liberate" the rest of the world. I believe her idea of liberation had become twisted. I took her saying that she would "liberate" the rest of the world to mean that she was going to kill everybody because the only way for them to truly be free was if they were dead -- and Sansa would be her first target. Jon had to protect his family.

I also didn't get Yara's anger against Jon, I thought she would be more loyal to him than Daenerys.

I guess Vary's and the letters were all for nothing, a red herring of sorts. Maybe he did only write the one and burn it without sending.

Is it just me, or did Dany's Unsullied and Dothraki armies grow even more in this episode? How are they coming back to life? Did the writers just forget about the two small contingents they showed remaining when Dany confronted Cersei at the walls?

I like the group of them sitting around the table bickering with each other in a joking fashion, they all ended up good friends. I also like the nod they made towards peace by pointing out the contrast between Dany and the final group of ministers. The first minister Dany assigned was her minister of war, yet at the end there was no minister of war. They were in no hurry to assign a minister of war, or spies, etc, because they were at finally at peace. That is another great statement to make.

The lack of time showed in this episode. They had to cut stuff to fit it into the 80mins, and that hurt it. Grey Worm beating Jon to Dany when it seemed like Jon was ahead of him -- what did Jon do to slow himself down -- and Jon's arrest happening off-screen... But there wasn't much choice, they had a limited time to work with and I guess they decided we could fill in the blanks without those scenes. Maybe they couldn't make it a 90min episode... As for all the unanswered questions... well we knew the show wouldn't be able to wrap up everything in the time it had.

What do you good people think of the rumour, buoyed by strange betting patterns that Bran will be the one that ends up on the Iron throne?

So I have to take back what I said. You were right. I guess some people must have already known, because there is nothing to suggest that happening in the show. Some people are smiling contentedly at all the money they made yesterday... :sneaky:

Last edited:
Bronn actually got Highgarden! :LOL:
Tho Jamie looted Highgarden, you wonder about the practicalities , Highgarden was left intact, not clear what happened to its army, but the people of the Reach are still there , I wonder what they would think of that?
Boy Bronn didn't do anything much this season , looked like a matter of 'lets stick him in somewhere.'

Tho Jamie looted Highgarden, you wonder about the practicalities , Highgarden was left intact, not clear what happened to its army, but the people of the Reach are still there , I wonder what they would think of that?
Boy Bronn didn't do anything much this season , looked like a matter of 'lets stick him in somewhere.'

Peasants probably don't care so long as Bronn isn't worse than the Tyrells. Remaining nobility might be salty; dunno how many soldiers/nobles they've got left, but I suspect they're one of the stronger seven kingdoms left.

Gotta say, unless Bran is on his A-game as king, it does look rather like the whole thing is like a fireworks factory with no guards.

So I have to take back what I said. You were right. I guess some people must have already known, because there is nothing to suggest that happening in the show. Some people are smiling contentedly at all the money they made yesterday... :sneaky:

If they make their money, looks highly likely the info was leaked beforehand, I wonder if the betting companies will pay out! :)

Is it just me, or did Dany's Unsullied and Dothraki armies grow even more in this episode? How are they coming back to life? Did the writers just forget about the two small contingents they showed remaining when Dany confronted Cersei at the walls?

You are correct in your assumption. You can even see same faces in the ranks of Dothraki that the NightKing supposedly wiped out. Some of the Unsullied managed to withdraw within the castle walls, but over two episodes they ballooned back to normal size.

When I saw them I didn't even care any more. There is nothing we can do to make it different. We can complain, but what good does it do? The HBO is not going to change something that they've already paid money for and approved to be released.

You are correct in your assumption. You can even see same faces in the ranks of Dothraki that the NightKing supposedly wiped out. Some of the Unsullied managed to withdraw within the castle walls, but over two episodes they ballooned back to normal size.

When I saw them I didn't even care any more. There is nothing we can do to make it different. We can complain, but what good does it do? The HBO is not going to change something that they've already paid money for and approved to be released.

Depends how much you enjoy complaining! Judging from the argument, most people love it, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a good grumble myself.

You could have stuck most of a season in between the ganking and the crowning. How would Yara have reacted to hearing about Theon's death? Brienne and Jaime's? When did Bronn resurface? Did the Dorne-ish folk seek independence?

Was there nearly another war? Who'd have sided with the Unsullied and Dothraki, and where the hell are the Dothraki? How did Daario react when he heard this? How did Gendry react to seeing Arya again?

How did Jon talk his way out of not dying? How did Tyrion? Did Varys' letters matter? What did the Iron Bank think of all that? Who called the council? Did everyone agree quickly?

And on and on and on. Every finished series has scenes that could have happened but its rare, imo, for there to be so many and for them to contain so many scenes vital to the outcome.

Hah! Yes. I guess Grey Worm delegated, but even so that was an odd one.

Yeah they could of made the episode 90 min long or longer..... and done some minor 'detailing' which would have left things feeling a little more satisfying.
Like they did with Brienne , that was a nice touch. Tho I wonder how many remembered the White Book?

Yeah Yara was the only spokes person for Dany at that meeting. Grey Worm is not the articulate one , his command of common tongue is not very developed.

They had time for a proper Arya Gendry parting , I don't know why that didn't happen, of course Arya may , will?, return to Westeros from time to time... one thinks...

I do wish they had a cover for Jon not being ripped from limb to limb...
I noticed , at the meeting, those who knew did not mention Jon's parentage , was it common knowledge now? In the books there are , in Westeros ,
Targ loyalists , they don't seem to exist on the show.

Did any of Vary's letters actually get out?

Mark Gatiss , after season 7 , before season 7, sometime had said he was to be in season 8, but then later said he was not in season 8. It sounded like there really was a change. I thought Tycho Nestoris might be at that meeting because of finical reasons .... as it was Grey Worm was the only Essos Dany rep there....

Dorhraki wise, in the books Dany's Dothraki handmaidens are still with her , in the show they were all killed off, and Dany's Dothraki 'Captain' was killed during The Long Night , which kind of surprised me , there was like a number of Dothraki left , but left sort of leaderless?... Tho there was some Dothraki guy in Ep 4 who gave Dany a number for those left.
Speaking of the Dothraki, they seemed to have left all their families in Essos, we don't see a single camp followers in season 7 or 8.
It fact there was the vague implication that there were a lot of Dothraki left in Essos who never came with Dany.
And , yes, the Dothraki remaining did depart on boats when the Unsullied left , one could see it but they could have made that more explicit.

I have to wonder what Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H’ghar) and Faye Marsay (the Waif) were doing in Seville last year, was it more than a fake spoiler? Did they shoot scenes , with Arya I would think, that did not make it the episode. Jaqen H’ghar was one of the most interesting characters in the whole story …. and just nothing in the end.

Where the heck was Gilly in that last episode?

cast aside, cause maester can't have wifes and promise to be celibate. maesters can't rule lands either so Horn Hill will go straight to the little squirt.
Or, and that's my guess the writers just didn't bother to think it through.