Any new science fiction films that are cool or different that anyone knows about??

X The Unknown 1956 one the best science fiction Horror films of all time

Quatermass and the Pit 1967 another great science fiction film and one of the inspirations for X Files

Predestination is a really good sci fi time travel flick that doesn't appear to have made it to main stream.

The Last Days. A very well made Spanish movie. Beautifully shot, well paced and well acted. I adored this movie. Well recommended, if you don't mind subtitles.

The Battery. A nice take on the Zombie trope.

Hmmm anything new coming out??

I would not say the Quatermass films are some of the best of all time, but they sure are good. That is all due to Nigel Kneale the screenplay writer . Kneale took some SF themes which had been trashed by American Z movies and made a silk purse out of them. Quatermass and the Pit is in my top twenty best SF films ever made. It is a smart film with a detective story to solve , the ending is too hasty but this movie will surprise you.

Last edited:
Tell ya, two films from classic SF novels have been hang fire for several years now. One is Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, supposedly it was started, but I can't find any factual evidence that is true. The same is true of Hadelman's The Forever War it also seems in production hell. Rumored for a long time now is Heinlein's Have Space Suit Will Travel, this could be a really good one.... and a remake of Star Ship Troopers , done right this time!
God only knows what has happened to Besters The Stars My Destination , for the last 60 years!!!, there have been at least 7 screenplay , Bester wrote one himself... George R R Martin is a big fan of Bester , have wondered if he could get it done.

I would not say the Quatermass films are some of the best of all time, but they sure are good. That is all due to Nigel Kneale the screenplay writer . Kneale took some SF themes which had been trashed by American Z movies and made a silk purse out of them. Quatermass and the Pit is in my top twenty best SF films ever made. It is a smart film with a detective story to solve , the ending is too hasty but this movie will surprise you.

I recommend The 1958 Quatermass and the Pit six part tv serial.(y):cool:

Peter Jackson is producing Mortal Engines out in December he is not directing I can't tell if this will be good or not.

Quatermass II (Enemy from Space) took a plot element , a cliché for many films, and turned it on its ear. Quatermass discovers an Alien Instillation in the 'wilds' of England. So he goes to the authorities , does he tell them it is off-world aliens with an alien plant of sinister intent? NO , he tell them a lie that they would believe, like there are Soviet Spys out there doing something. They come to see. Great!!

It is PKD. I need to pick that one up, still.

Not sci- fi, but i'd recommend Scorsese's "After Hours". It's an unusual movie.

I loved the book Robopocalypse, am going to hate Michael Bay's version of it though...

I have it on my pile of films to watch at home.

How do you feel about foreign language movies? The Last Days and Cargo are recommended.

Hit and miss for me. Sometimes I'm just too tired to stick with them. The last one I think I liked was the short film that got turned into an American made feature that was not so good... About it being the last day on earth... I forget the name. But the short was better. This was probably ten years ago.

I also keep hearing there's a Black Mirror film coming out on Netflix but can't find anything about it online

Back