Shakespeare?

Danny Creasy

I was trying to think of a classic sf book or film based on one of his plays. Characters like Paul in Dune have traits and challenges similar to young Hamlet or Henry V, but I can't think of a direct retelling.

Thoughts?

And, of course West Side Story is "said"to be Romeo and Juliet, but is fairly loose.

Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood film is a very good adaptation to Samurai Japan of Macbeth. In the Shakespeare class I've taught, it's the only movie I show.

witch-throneof.jpg

Since you seemed to stipulate that you were looking for classic works based on Shakespeare, I didn't answer before. But if newer or lesser known books are wanted, I can think of only two off the top of my head. Sung in Shadow, by Tanith Lee, a "Romeo and Juliet" reimagining in an alternate Renaissance Italy, and Caliban's Hour, by Tad Williams, which is basically the monster's own version of his life story and the events of "The Tempest." Both of these books, though not well-known, are fine books.

I found this recently online

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Revenge Of The Sith is a loose adaptation of Othello:-

Casting aside the race issues of the play, Anakin is the good soldier led astray by jealousy and a quest for power by Iago stand-in Palpatine.

He loses faith in the honourable Padme, but rather than killing her, as Othello does Desdemona, he merely causes her to die of a broken heart.

You asked for books, and I can't think of any more than those mentioned already, but to add to the list of films (and sorry it isn't SFF) 10 Things I Hate About You is a modern re-telling of The Taming of the Shrew.

Then I found this: The 10 best modern takes on Shakespeare – in pictures which has all those mentioned already plus a few more I hadn't known about - My Private Idaho and Men of Respect.