Submissions for new International Cloud Atlas

Ray McCarthy

Sentient Marmite: The Truth may make you fret.
Submission for new International Cloud Atlas
30 June 2016

المنظمة العالمية للأرصاد الجوية
World Meteorological Organization
Organisation météorologique mondiale

Organización Meteorológica Mundial
Всемирная Метеорологическая Организация
世界气象组织

The International Cloud Atlas has a long and rich history. Its first edition was published in 1939, though its origins date back to the 1800s. Subsequent editions were published in 1956 and 1975, with the most recent edition of Volume II, containing more than 200 photographic images of clouds and meteors, published in 1987.

Since 1987, much in the world has changed. In particular, we can now take advantage of the many high quality images from ubiquitous modern cameras, and we can use the power of the internet to make the ICA more flexible and complete.

So it is time, again, to revise and update the ICA. For this purpose we are seeking new, colour, high resolution imagery of clouds and other meteors.
The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) invites you to submit candidate imagery for the new edition of the ICA.

Details of how to submit can be found here wmo-cloudatlas.org/index.php/en/

Edited via Submission for new International Cloud Atlas - Weather News - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service Online

I have been snapping the sky for years. Everyday I click away, at clouds. I just lost my cellphone, if it doesn't show up by tomorrow, I lose my last ten skyshots. There's big puffy cumulus up there right now, and I am cameraless. Always back up your photos, particularly shots of the sky, since each one is unique and the sky will never be the same again.

Always back up your photos,
I put them on two separate computers.
The computers separately get backed up.

Sky photography
A pale yellow filter can enhance and I bought polarising neutral density filters for my camcorders and film cameras, as well as improving image by glare reduction, it protects lens from dirt.

I've used my sunglasses in front of phone camera to good effect.