Time honoured traditional and all that there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
Except when @chopper came up with it, he reckoned with me. :D Anyway, 12,000th post, small crit. I had one up yesterday, sorry all - I should have had better timing (but then I'd be a day behind on my wip...)

So, this is a teaser from near the start of Sunset Over Abendau, book two of the Inheritance trilogy. Two familiar characters, one new point of view and a new race of people to get to know. Have at it. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farran stepped off the gangway into the docking bay. Standing a few feet away, the New Empire’s Head of Intelligence was instantly recognisable, his dress uniform making Farran feel shoddy in his own rumpled pilot’s suit. He squared his shoulders – he was a pilot, for space’s sake, a flying suit was his uniform – and stepped forward, hand outstretched. “General le Payne?”

Le Payne took his hand and gave a quirked smile. “Ambassador Sil-Farran.”

“Farran, please. We Roamers prefer informality.”

“Lichio, then.” He didn’t sound surprised; it seemed Farran wasn’t the only person who’d done their research. “I hope you don’t mind, I’ve arranged a room within the port annex. It means you don’t have to undergo the full compound security.”

“Thank you.” Farran followed le Payne through the bay but stopped at the sight of the long bank of scanners ahead.

The other man smiled apologetically. “You might want to trust me on this, the compound is much worse. I’ll have you through in a few minutes, although you’ll need to leave any weapons here.”

“I carry no weapons.”

“Good, we’ll be even quicker.”

Farran walked through the scanner, waiting as the screen brought up his weight, accompanied by an amber light. He glared at the light. Too much time piloting and maybe, just maybe, a bit of middle age spread may well have taken him to the top of his parameters.

A needle pricked his finger and he waited for his genetic makeup to be confirmed, and an eye scanner dropped down. He stared into it until his retinal patterns were recorded. A moment later the scanning bank went green and the laser bar lifted, allowing him to follow Lichio down a functional corridor. The other man’s back was straight as he walked, nothing in his demeanour hinting at the ordeal he’d endured at the Empress’ hands. A hard man to read, it seemed.

“Here we are.” Lichio pushed a door open, ushering Farran into a small meeting room. He gestured at a woman sitting behind the only desk. “Ambassador Farran; my sister, President le Payne.”

She stood, her blue eyes widened in welcome. She looked too young to be leader of the Abendauii Senate, but hers was the true power in Abendau and growing more with each bit of legislature the Emperor ceded to the Senate. Whatever was the truth of it – whether she or the Emperor held Abendau – it wouldn’t do to underestimate her. It had taken four years of negotiation to get to this meeting, he wasn’t about to blow it now.

She reached forward and shook his hand, her grip almost as firm as her brother’s. “Call me Sonly.” She smiled, her eyes meeting his, and he could see why she was in the position she held, she was so disarming. “Sit down, please. Can I order some refreshments for you?”

“I’m fine.” He sat opposite. Lichio dropped easily into the seat next to her, stretching his legs out in a casual pose, but his eyes were sharp, missing nothing.

“The Emperor isn’t here?” asked Farran. His disappointment drifted up the mesh.

“He has other engagements,” Sonly said.

A lie.

“A pity.” Disappointment filled the hive of thoughts. “My Queen asked that I speak directly to him.”

“Why don’t you tell us what you want? We’ll ensure it gets discussed in full with him,” Sonly said.

The mesh clamoured to keep going. This was the nearest the Roamers had got to Kalyn. If the le Paynes supported their proposal the Emperor might listen.

“You know why I’m here,” he said. “Our Queen invites him to our planet to meet her. She has a gift from the Roamers.”

“And if he does?” asked Lichio, his eyes fixed on Farran.

“Then we, the Roamers, will give our fealty to him.”

It was a strong opening offer. The Roamers had never given their fealty to the Empress, nor negotiated with her. They existed outside normal planetary laws, nomads who drifted from planet to planet, abiding by local customs but recognising no authority other than their own. Their mesh allowed them to retain their contact and community, and their knowledge of space – and their discretion – meant their high fees were invariably met.

Sonly set her hands, palms up, on the table, the gesture indicating truth. Farran struggled not to smile; she was far too able a politician to be believed.

“We would be honoured to have the Roamer people as part of the empire,” she said. “But we need more information about the gift and why you will only allow the Emperor to receive it.”

“I can’t; our custom forbids me. The gift is a personal boon to the Emperor. In receiving it from our Queen he will honour the Roamer customs and ensure the fealty of all. We guarantee his safety.”

Behind him, the door opened and steady footsteps crossed the room. Lichio looked up at the newcomer but Farran continued to focus on Sonly, willing her to see how important this was. Convince her and she’d convince the Emperor.

“Ambassador Farran, I believe.” The voice was measured and firm, and Farran’s breath quickened as he realised who it must be. The buzz in his head intensified as the news spread through the Roamer network, mind to mind. More joined the mesh. It became fuller than he’d ever known it to be, and he had to push it away. Quiet.

Entirely because I am civic-minded, and not remotely because I'm engaged in a dilemma about whether to prevaricate or procrastinate with my own work, here are my finickity thoughts:

Standing a few feet away, the New Empire’s Head of Intelligence was instantly recognisable, his dress uniform making Farran feel shoddy in his own rumpled pilot’s suit. - 'the man's dress uniform' and axe 'own' from the succeeding clause. Also makes it plainer in the next sentence who he/his refer to.

hisuniform – space needed.

Le Payne took his hand and gave a quirked smile. - hmm. I don't mind 'quirked'. Others may.

“Farran, please. We Roamers prefer informality.” - not sure of 'We Roamers'.

“I hope you don’t mind, I’ve arranged a room within the port annex. It means you don’t have to undergo the full compound security.” - bit long, could cut to one sentence. And why doesn't he want t'other chap to mind? It's the military and he's superior, right?

“I carry no weapons.” - shade robotic. "I haven't got any", or similar.

“Good, we’ll be even quicker.” - axe.

A needle pricked his finger and he waited for his genetic makeup to be confirmed, and an eye scanner dropped down. - make the final clause its own sentence.

A moment later the scanning bank went green and the laser bar lifted, allowing him to follow Lichio down a functional corridor. - 'functional corridor' is there another kind? Axe 'functional'.

A hard man to read, it seemed. - axe 'it seemed'

“Ambassador Farran; my sister, President le Payne.” - hmm. I misread the earlier bit, thought the New Empire was the same organisation to which both men belonged.

She reached forward - name, not 'she' [had two She sentences in the preceding paragraph]

She smiled, her eyes meeting his - fine by itself but you have an earlier eye-widening reference. Change this, or the earlier one, for variety.

she was in the position she held, she was so disarming. - three Shes in half a line is perhaps excessive.

“I’m fine.” - finickity setting maximum here [but then, I am procrastinating...], "I'm fine" is the default answer given when someone's dreadful and wants the other person to shut up. An ambassador would probably be a bit slicker "Thank you, but no" or "Thank you, your excellent catering staff have already seen to that". But, as I said, that's a very finickity point.

He sat opposite. - I think 'opposite' requires a reference, even if it's heavily implied.

His disappointment drifted up the mesh. - not sure of the mesh reference's meaning.

Generally liked it. Disappointing lack of horrific torture, but there are limits to what can be posted publicly.

“Lichio, then.” He didn’t sound surprised; it seemed Farran wasn’t the only person who’d done their research. “I hope you don’t mind, I’ve arranged a room within the port annex. It means you don’t have to undergo the full compound security.”

“Thank you.” Farran followed le Payne through the bay but stopped at the sight of the long bank of scanners ahead.

The other man smiled apologetically.

Leading the sentence with "I hope you don't mind", followed so closely by the apologetic smile, makes Lichio seem less confident or more appeasing than I would have expected, based on my memories of his character from Book 1.

She stood, her blue eyes widened in welcome.
-- Run on sentence

You quickly cleared up my initial confusion about the mesh, and I was hooked by the end of the excerpt.

Congratulations for 12k.

Not much to correct here; though it seems at a point you digress to mostly dialogue and it makes me wonder if there might be something rich missing in all of that. Starting maybe with showing what a lie might look like.

Just a thought.

@thaddeus6th - don't panic. It's only chapter four.... :D

Leading the sentence with "I hope you don't mind", followed so closely by the apologetic smile, makes Lichio seem less confident or more appeasing than I would have expected, based on my memories of his character from Book 1.

-- Run on sentence

You quickly cleared up my initial confusion about the mesh, and I was hooked by the end of the excerpt.

Nice point about Lichio, I'll muse on that. It was supposed to be polite but he might have gone a little too far. :) thank you!

Congratulations for 12k.

Not much to correct here; though it seems at a point you digress to mostly dialogue and it makes me wonder if there might be something rich missing in all of that. Starting maybe with showing what a lie might look like.

Just a thought.

Ah, you are astute. :) I cut a little exposition as it gave a spoiler too far. :)

Off a Gangway and into/through to scanners and into a meeting room. There are some nice details being used as I would expect from you Jo, but the background setting was very light and I didn't get a feel for the world the characters moved through. We also have a General, an Ambassador (why do I suddenly grave chocolate?) and a President, yet there isn't a minion in sight, or a body guard to highlight their importance. Remove the titles and technology and it could be a meeting anywhere any time. I'm not feeling the tension here.

Superbly well written with a easy flowing style, but I'm going to be grumpily honest here and say that it didn't hook me in. As a SciFi geek I loved the scanners, but you weren't giving a SciFi geek like me much to chew on and get stuck into. I'm with Tinkerdan, I think you're (is this the right your're/your?) expecting dialogue to carry you along too much.

Well done on blabbing away for 12k posts and its a pleasure to have you on here with the rest of us weirdo's.

Off a Gangway and into/through to scanners and into a meeting room. There are some nice details being used as I would expect from you Jo, but the background setting was very light and I didn't get a feel for the world the characters moved through. We also have a General, an Ambassador (why do I suddenly grave chocolate?) and a President, yet there isn't a minion in sight, or a body guard to highlight their importance. Remove the titles and technology and it could be a meeting anywhere any time. I'm not feeling the tension here.

Superbly well written with a easy flowing style, but I'm going to be grumpily honest here and say that it didn't hook me in. As a SciFi geek I loved the scanners, but you weren't giving a SciFi geek like me much to chew on and get stuck into. I'm with Tinkerdan, I think you're (is this the right your're/your?) expecting dialogue to carry you along too much.

Well done on blabbing away for 12k posts and its a pleasure to have you on here with the rest of us weirdo's.

Muchly thanks. It is a scene designed to carry from one to the next, and we see the flunkeys and what not around Lichio in the scene leading up to this one, but I'll have a think about whether they need to be in this one, too. :) I think the context of the compound is probably missing, too, which is in the book - it's designed to be less security-needed around the person than in the palace, as the whole place is secured. In that context, any security will be low level and outer-perimeter as opposed to close level. Maybe I need something dropped in to give that information.

Context in the little samples we get here is always a problem, so I take your point that a lot will have been covered already and your avoiding un-necessary repeating. I'm finding a well used central courtyard in my current WIP (almost done, yay) and I mention cobbles here and there for context, but not a lot else. So a little something for the reader to hand their hat on would be good. Anyway you know what you're doing, good luck with it Jo.

Lichio's made general. Ha. I remember the kid from book one. Oh how time flies. Nothing to add that the others haven't hit on. Except of course congratulation on TWELVE THOUSAND POSTS. Holy cow, Jo. Are you planning on hitting 20,000 by Christmas? Really though, good going. (y)

Lichio's made general. Ha. I remember the kid from book one. Oh how time flies. Nothing to add that the others haven't hit on. Except of course congratulation on TWELVE THOUSAND POSTS. Holy cow, Jo. Are you planning on hitting 20,000 by Christmas? Really though, good going. (y)

Absolutely. I have the bear in my sights...

Ah, yes - they're all growed up now, my characters. *sniff* book two is set 10 years after book one. :)

12,000 posts! Congrats.
I'm going to be grumpily honest here and say that it didn't hook me in.
As this extract isn't quite at the start, it may not be an issue.

I'm hopeless at remembering characters' names and roles, so it took me several exchanges before I remembered who Lichio was, but you might have already addressed that. (I remembered Sonly though.)

12,000 posts! Congrats.

As this extract isn't quite at the start, it may not be an issue.

I'm hopeless at remembering characters' names and roles, so it took me several exchanges before I remembered who Lichio was, but you might have already addressed that. (I remembered Sonly though.)

Yes, Lichio has already had a scene earlier, although this is the first sight of Sonly. The only character not seen yet is the Emperor....

Can't wait to read it.

Thank you! I can't wait for it to come out - I've always loved this one :)

Congrats on the 12,000. Most impressive. As is this, really. I only found one thing that (I think) no one has already addressed.

he was a pilot, for space’s sake

I'm dubious about anyone actually saying this out loud, because "space's" is an awkward two syllables with three sibilants. And if it wasn't spoken aloud, it wouldn't have caught on. This might easily be a nit-pick unique to me, though.

Congrats on the 12,000. Most impressive. As is this, really. I only found one thing that (I think) no one has already addressed.

I'm dubious about anyone actually saying this out loud, because "space's" is an awkward two syllables with three sibilants. And if it wasn't spoken aloud, it wouldn't have caught on. This might easily be a nit-pick unique to me, though.

I think it is utterly unique to you and wins best nit ever. :D thank you. :)

Hey Jo, I like the teaser but really have nothing to add which hasn't already been said, but congrats on 12,000. It's just obscene.

I do have to agree with HB - the "space's sake" didn't sit right with me; if not for the linguistic tonguetwistery, then just because it feels a bit of a lame cussin' word. But generally it was good, if a tad vague (but hey, what can you do when posting excerpts) and I enjoyed seeing characters I haven't for a few months, and it makes me want to pick up the books again. So well done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.